Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Step away from the lunch box

My daughter started 8th grade this morning and went to school with her new 50th anniversary souvenir lunch box that she bought two weeks ago at the park. It was the only one on the shelf which explains a lot.

As coincidence woud have it I happened to look up Shag today to see what he's all about and saw a link to the Disney stuff. What did I find but that her new lunch box is a limited edition (1955) Tin Lunch Box from the Shag collection.

So, shall we talk her out of using the thing because it's a 'collectable'? I can just imagine being told by my parents when I spent my own money on a souvenir that I cant use it. Years from now on Ebay she can say 'only used once'.

With EVERYTHING now a potential collectible what are ya gonna do?!

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Step away from the lunch box

I think collectable items are silly because you can't do anything with them. My brother has a coin collection, and he has all these coins that just sit there. In my mind, money is for spending things. And in your situation, a lunchbox is for lunches, not meant to be displayed in a glass case.

This sort of reminds me of Toy Story 2...
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I see no reason she shouldn't use it.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Have her use it. The memories she will have later on are far more valuable than any collectibility the box might have.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Excellent viewpoint, NemoZorro.

I would tell her, but then let her make the choice of whether or not she wants to use it.
    (The same way I chose James Dean stamps to mail off my graduation invitations!)
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I have a very active "collector gene" and understand your quandry. However, despite any future monetary value the lunchbox may someday have, I'm guessing that the memories it will hold for your daughter will far outweigh that and she will never sell it anyway.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Disneyland 1st, then food

I was at the park on Sunday and saw tin lunchboxes in the World of Disney store. Is it the one that has the teacups on one side? I really wanted to buy them for my girls to use for school but because it didn't have princesses on it they weren't interested. Now I'm thinking of getting one just to display and keep.

Leslie

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Sounds like a dilemma alright.

She's going to be grown up one day and thinking back, what do you want her to remember? Does a child appreciate you 'saved' her lunchbox or that she had a lunchbox at all? You know your tyke better than anyone.

I think you should let her use it. We're all temporary on this earth, and so the good times should be had when we can.

Like running over to Disneyland every now and again.

And like having a really cool lunch box.

Peace
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

"The things which the child loves remain in the domain of the heart until old age." -Kahlil Gibran
    -Monorail Man

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The thing is; if everyone is keeping them as collectibles and not using them they will have not great value in the future..........people collect things because of the memories they had playing with it or using it as a child..............
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Children should use their imagination. Don't let her use the lunchbox. Instead just have her look at it and imagine what it would be like to carry it and imagine what it would be like to eat out of it. Children just don't use their imagination enough these days...

I would just buy a second lunchbox and store it away. Let the poor kid use the one she got.

• FastPass n00b

I would let her use the lunchbox by all means; I've always felt collecting useful stuff is wrong. If people want to collect stamps or baseball cards or even coin proof sets, that's fine, those are meant to be collected and serve no real function other than collecting. But these types of people who store classic cars in ziploc bags in their humidity-controlled garage or store tin lunch boxes (which haven't been made since 1985 by the way) on the shelf really miss the point of owning such items. Just like a classic car is meant to be driven and actually enjoyed on the road, a tin lunch box should be enjoyed by a child at school.

This holds especially true since she's starting 8th grade. For me that was the most memorable of all grades and I still have a lot of the stuff I used back then. I didn't collect anything at the time, but I can assure you that the stuff I actually used back then I collect today. As an 8th grader, she'll have no grasp of what it means to collect stuff right now. But as an adult later in life, she'll definitely understand how important it is to hang on to old stuff from her 8th grade years. I would say definitely let her use it today and when she grows up, she will have something truly collectible to cherish.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisLee
    Children should use their imagination. Don't let her use the lunchbox. Instead just have her look at it and imagine what it would be like to carry it and imagine what it would be like to eat out of it. Children just don't use their imagination enough these days...

I would just buy a second lunchbox and store it away. Let the poor kid use the one she got.
    Funniest post I've seen all day.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    Funniest post I've seen all day.

hahahaha I agree!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast