Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Tales?

Mouse Tales?

Hi. A friend of mine is reading a book called "MouseTales- A Behind-the-Ears Look at Disneyland" by David Koenig. I was a bit surprised to hear about some of the events mentioned in the books ( tragic deaths on the peoplemover, etc). I was most intrigued by this alleged Halloween Riot that took place in 1994 (?)
    My questions - how reliable is this information? Are any of the events mentioned in this book and its sequel verified? Did this Halloween riot really happen? Who is David Koenig anyways?

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks all!

ADMIN NOTE: HERE is a link to David Koenig's book on Amazon. MiceChat highly recommends this book.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 07-16-2008 at 07:58 PM.

• I'm not really here

Re: Mouse Tales?

I don't know about a halloween riot in 1994, but Disneyland was shut down 5 or 6 hours early in 1970 for a bunch of hippies that came in and got stoned on TSI.

Here is a great site with some photos from that day. Aug 6, 1970.
    http://www.studiolo.org/Email/DISNEY.htm

Here is a link the CBS archival footage website on this date. You can request the actual video (since cameras were in the park for this)
    http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu...07-CBS-16.html

It was this event that sparked new grooming standards for park entrance.

http://davelandweb.com/yippies/
    More info

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Not sure about the book but I would believe David Koening, he has written many excellent books.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I've never heard of David Koening or of a 1994 Halloween Riot.

• Senior Minion

David has a pretty good reputation, though I don't specifically know about the incidents that you're talking about, I would be a little surprised if they weren't fairly accurate. He's been writing about DL for years, he's just a journalist as far as I know, I don't think he's ever worked for Disney, but I do think he's been given quite a bit of access for writing his books.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    David has a pretty good reputation, though I don't specifically know about the incidents that you're talking about, I would be a little surprised if they weren't fairly accurate. He's been writing about DL for years, he's just a journalist as far as I know, I don't think he's ever worked for Disney, but I do think he's been given quite a bit of access for writing his books.
    What else has he written? Is he a local L.A. journalist? I seriously have never heard of the guy so i don't know anything as far as how reputable his rep would be or if he's a "Disney hater" ect... sounds like he's got a good rep and all, I'd be interested to read his stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I dont question Mr Koenig's creds, but the writing style is slightly sensationalized. The description of the Halloween riot sounded like a pitch for a Michael Bay movie...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles McHenry View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I dont question Mr Koenig's creds, but the writing style is slightly sensationalized. The description of the Halloween riot sounded like a pitch for a Michael Bay movie...
    Well, like I said I think his background is journalism, so it's not surprising his writing is a little sensationalistic. He also writes articles for some other online forums that are pretty good. I don't know all his books, but I think all the Disney ones have Mouse in the name, I believe he has at least three or four books on the topic.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Mouse Tales?

He identifies the source, by name, of every story in Mouse Tales, and the vast majority of those in More Mouse Tales (he kept a couple of names of then current CMs out in that book). The jacket says he is chief editor of Cutler Publishing, has a journalism degree from Cal State-Fullerton, and has been senior editor of "The Merchant Magazine", a trade publication. Last year he published Realityland, a Mouse Tales type book about WDW. He also contributes regularly at mouseplanet. I love the books I've read, and often urge people to seek them out, usually while also urging them to seek out any copy you can find of The E Ticket magazine.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I've met him. He's a fan, not a hater.
    A signature should go here.

• Semi-Lurker

i think riot is a pretty strong term to describe what happened on Halloween 1994, As I recall that was the year the park tried a new promotion where people in costume got in free. I remember the response they got totally blew them away and WAY more people showed up than they expected. There were huge traffic jams on the freeway, but I really don't recall any sort of rampant lawlessness going on.

See. Im kinda thinking that too. Sounds like there was a basis of fact, but the description of the "lawlessness" that ensued, was way too Hollywood than what potentially could have taken place. I believe the traffic jams and crowds..but people shoving their way past the turnstiles into the park??
    My mom works for Anaheim PD and Im pretty sure I kno they keep a presence at the park anyways...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

He doesn't make stuff up in his writing. Everything he writes about has been confirmed by sources (for his Mouse Tales books at least, he interviewed a lot of people). His writing style is eccentric, but personally, that's why I love the books so much.

These are very good books to read if you are a Disneyland fan.

• "I Break Things"

I know David... he's a great guy, and he does check into whatever comes up in the interviews. The stories about Jungle are HYSTERICAL, and I know some of the parties involved. The whole reason for the Antics thread was to highlight things that have happened since. David had a great time reading it and talked with several of us involved. He also went to at least one of the Skipper Standups... not sure if he has been back since.
    Last edited by techskip; 07-15-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• The one and only

you can ask him yourself, if you go over to mouseplanet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast