Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Disney Geek

Re: what is your most fond memory of being in the parks?

I have too many and can not think of one that stands out.

• Mickeyfan3

Being there with my parents, remembering how much they loved taking us there. We all had so much fun...they were there opening year and still loved going, and being a kid again. Seeing it now through my son's eyes, I can appreciate their taking us so often even more.
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

To pin it down to a few will be hard, but I will try....

#1 The first time my husband and I took our children to DL in 2000. We had no idea what we were doing and what pure joy awaited us. The bliss on our 3 year old sons face as we rode IASW over and over again. We were in the park for three days and did not want to leave. It truly is the Happiest Place on Earth.

#2 When we went to DLR in 2006 with my sister and her family. It was the first time for any of them. We had been several times by this point and found a renewed excitement as we introduced Disneyland to our extended family. They are not quite the Disney Freaks that we are (ok, that I AM) but they certainly look forward to going back again someday.

#3 Running the DL Half Marathon in September 07. I had never run more than a 5K before - but a trip to Disneyland was all the motivation I needed. It will go down as one of the best days of my life.

#4 And last but not least - our 20th Wedding Anniversary Trip that we took in March of 08. We stayed at GCH with a room looking over GRR. Left the children at home and were able to be kids ourselves.

Ahhhhhh the memories.
    Deedlebug

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Post Re: what is your most fond memory of being in the parks?

i just love how the acronym of Grizzly River Run is "GRR".

Die Vampire, Die!!!

Walt's opening day speech in 1955. My dad coughing up a dime so I could shoot a few rounds in Frontierland. He was so cheap, that was the only time I can remember him doing anything like that. We were dirt poor back then. We had a house overlooking the ocean, on the bluff, by the time he died.

• Disney for life!~

The 1st time my niece went to Disneyland! While waiting to go in she turned and looked at me and said "Pinch me! Am I dreaming? Am I really here?" Needless to say, that bought tears to my eyes.

The 1st time she rode Space mountain was really cool, too.Before our trip to Disneyland,we would watch Space Mountain videos on Youtube just to show her what it was about.It was so cute when we were on the ride.. she was holding my hand real hard and I heard her say "Its just like in the videoooooooooooooooo!'' Too cute!
    Last edited by *SallyStitches*; 07-18-2008 at 04:14 PM.

I <3 SPACEMOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/CayaHutch

• Following the Second Star

Anything with my friends. Whether it is dancing to Parade of Dreams (We know most of the choreography so we dance to it and sing along), going crazy between two showings of Jedi Training Academy, laughing so hard we couldn't breath during Musical Chairs, cracking jokes throughout Pinocchio, or watching videos, that we got during the day, before Fantasmic! and making up what they were saying since we couldn't understand a thing. Everything seems so much better when I have a friend with me to make everything so much more fun.

Though I have the memory of going on "Those jets" (Astro Orbitor) with my mom when I was 4. It was my first trip, and thats all I remember from it, besides seeing Pooh.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

My favorite memory is one of two.
    The first one is the first official Fluffy Meet, with the sinking of Pirates and special treatment on the Haunted Mansion--our own stretching gallery and being the first ones on the ride after it went down, and the night ended with ghost hunting on the Mansion. It was all in all the perfect day at DL.
    The second was an entire weekend, where one of my closest friends took me to Club 33 and we just had some crazy fun. We went on only a few rides but I had a new experience there, one that literally fufilled a lifelong dream for me.
    dreams. come. true.

I miss the way Tomorrowland was prior to the 1990's. It was the most exciting area of Disneyland. The opening of Captain EO was especially memorable. Whenever I went to Disneyland as a kid, Tomorrowland was the first area my family would go to, and we'd always spend a good part of the day there before moving on to the other lands. It was also great going back to Tomorrowland at night because it took on a different sense of excitement.

Today, Tomorrowland lacks that excitement. It was ruined in 1998, and it isn't until now that we're starting to see a very slow revitalization there. As Disney is trying to undo the damage, the mistakes from 1998 are just too prominent and cannot be resolved without a complete overhaul like the one done for 1967.

There have been several past "fondest memory" threads here, and I'm always glad to just paste my previous response once again for those that might not have read it the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc...time. So here goes again...

My favorite memories have to do with back in the days when Disneyland was really more of a "Park." There were no guardrails protecting the lawns. You could find yourself a nice cool spot under a shady tree and enjoy your chicken dinner al fresco...picnic like. Back then Disneyland seemed a really enchanting place in a much simpler way, especially at night with the twinkling lights in the trees. The Park itself was an E attraction! The rides were nice but almost just diversions. Lots of folks paid just a couple of bucks for a General Admission Ticket, and you could enjoy all the shows, parades, bands, fireworks, etc...and not go on a single ride!

You really felt like you were visiting "Walt's Place" rather than some big corporate money machine.

The homey simplicity of the Park back then was more reminiscent of Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. A fairyland of lights and beautiful settings. Heck, back then...the Grand Canyon Diorama was the big deal!

Almost every Saturday night my folks, grandparents, aunts, uncles and various and sundry teenyboppers and tykes would pile into our station wagons and head to Disneyland and Big Band Night at Carnation Plaza Gardens. They had really big names back then. Satchmo, Al Hurt, Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton, Les Brown. You'd often see Walt and Lillian, arms around each other, listening to the music on their special little footbridge (still there). Folks would occasionally holler "Hi Walt!" and he would smile and nod. And local television station KTLA (or it might have been KHJ...don't recall) broadcast the bands and the dancers almost every week for awhile LIVE to the Southland in glorious Black & White! Bet some of you never knew that Carnation Plaza Gardens was once part of a weekly local television series! We'd often return home to neighbors saying, "Hey! We saw you on the T.V. again!" Television was so new...we felt like celebrities! Just seemed like a normal weekly Southland ritual to us. A walk in the park. Literally.

Great memories. Every time I visit The Gardens and see that Red & White canopy and the old mirror ball spinning, I think back to those days and many family and friends now long gone. And in my own golden years I find myself thinking of them often and fondly, and of our many family outings to Disneyland. Even today when dining at Club 33 on a Saturday night, I always request an 8:30pm dinner reservation just so I can have time beforehand to listen and watch the band and the familiar regular faces dancing the night away. It's like time has almost frozen in that little piece of the Park (though I miss the Carnation food and ice cream windows). I just love it. And to this day, no other Magic Kingdom has anything like it. It's a classic example of a special something that is "Strictly Disneyland."

My uncle just loved Teddy Buckner and his group, and the two of us would often break away from the rest of the gang to go watch them in the Old New Orleans area of Frontierland, and in later years at New Orleans Square's French Market bandstand.

Occasionally still, on some wonderful Summer nights when the dry Santa Ana winds are gently blowing just right, and the Big Band music is drifting in the air, and if I don't look in the direction of Tomorrowland, I can almost imagine myself back in those days. So very little has changed in The Hub area, really. It's Magic.

Those family memories are my favorites. But another favorite that I still think about when I'm approaching the Disneyland Resort today, is about how I remember back when the "big deal" for Southern Californians was to be the first to spot the TWA Moonliner from the freeway! Back then it was just about the highest point in the Magic Kingdom. And there weren't any high-rise visual obstructions back then, so you could spot it from pretty far away, too! Of course, in 1959 that all changed when Disneyland acquired it's then-new Swiss/Italian "landmark" and the contest changed to being the first to spot the Matterhorn. But my fondest memories are of being the first one to spot that gleaming red and white Rocket Ship of the future, and shouting it out to become the winner of something that didn't even have a prize.

Thanks for the great question. And Thanks for reading.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123