Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Smile what is your most fond memory of being in the parks?

I was wondering if any of you all out there would be willing to share your most special memories of being in the parks?

• Banned User

Re: what is your most fond memory of being in the parks?

Here are some, in no particular order:

A: Warm California dusk/nights in the 90's.. For some reason, The Lion King (the movie) makes me remember those. Maybe I saw it in CA or something, the Lion King Celebration probably has something to do with it as well.

B: Every scene in Splash Mountain.

C: The old Space Mountain, with my sister.

D: Being confused there as a little kid.

E: MSEP

F: The DL hotel, and fantasy waters or whatever it was called

G: The Lion King Celebration

H: Rocket Rods

• Higitus Figitus

going on indy for the first time when i was seven (was finally tall enough!) and the CM let me sit in the front, next to the steering wheel. during the announcement, sallah says: Hellooo. Ah, please check the steering wheel, making sure it is not stiff. That would be very bad.
    and, of course, the sterring wheel doesn't move. i wish they took pictures at the beginning of that ride because my expression was priceless! i was so scared!
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Closed Account

Maybe not my most fond memories, but really big "Awwww" Disney moments that I've witnessed:

1. I was waiting for the POD to start and this elderly couple was sitting on a bench behind my friend and I. When the little vendor selling the light up roses came by the old man got up and got his wife a rose and gave it to her and then he gave her a big kiss. It may be the sweetest thing I have ever seen. She didn't even ask him, he just got it for her!

2. I was walking by the wishing well behind Minnie's house in Toontown and a little boy threw a penny in and wished for a fire truck. That is a pretty great wish as far as I am concerned...

The best fond memory I have directly involving me would be one Christmas when I was walking up Main Street at night and the piano man at Coke Corner started playing "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera (my favorite musical, my favorite song). It was just a great moment.

• Happiest Girl On Earth

when I was sitting at the Hub waiting to meet someone, looking at the castle... It was a really cold and cloudy day, and I saw this guy propose to his girlfriend, who was in sweatpants and a sweatshirt.

Ahh, to be loved like a princess even when dressed like a pauper.

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• E T1CK3T

I cherish all of the memories I have as a younger kid at Disneyland because it was so magical to me. Back then, I didn't know much about the park... didn't know any Suits, any acronyms for rides or areas, or even that the workers there were cast members. DCA was not even on the horizon then, and all that was there was a huge parking lot that led me to the Happiest Place on Earth as the Monorail went by overhead.
    In recent years, I've come to love walking down Main Street during the holiday season as "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" plays on the speakers, and purely enjoying the atmosphere. That's when the magic comes rushing back the most for me.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

1. Being at DLR during a wind storm. That was one of the most enjoyable times I've had out, ever. It's quite a thing to be in DL dancing around in circles and feeling the wind wrapping itself around you and lifting your dress around in swirls while the sky thunders with hidden lions roaring against your breastplate and the wind pulls down a tree right next to you and you hear the thing break and snap and crash to the ground and you realize that the force dancing with you is the same one that just destroyed a huge tree just a few feet away from you. That was awesome.

2. Standing in the Stretching Room of the Haunted Mansion and knowing that the cute CM in the dashing butler outfit has had a huge crush on you for the longest time, and noticing that he stares at only you as the room stretches downward, but you keep staring up at just the Tightrope-Walker, and soon he turns around and looks up at her painting just to see what you've been staring at, and as the doors open up and it's time to disappear, you look straight at him and smile and you can tell from his face that that's what he's been waiting for, and that he wishes so much that he could follow you to your doombuggy, but you're just a dark lady and you sit next to no one. This has happened more than once, in case you couldn't tell. I wonder if any of them will ever read this post.

3. I was standing by myself in Snow White's Grotto, and this wasn't very long after something bad had happened. I remember I was feeling so hopeless and alone, especially when that soundclip of Snow White singing "I'm Wishing" started playing. So then I left and walked over to the Silver Spur to see the pins, and a CM at the register was fiddling with something. He asked me if I wanted it, and he showed me it was a broken pin of Snow White and her prince together. In that moment, I felt surrounded by a spiderweb of fate/destiny/whatever kind of force, and I literally felt the strands of the web brushing over and through me, and I got the message: Don't ever feel as if you're alone again. So I took the broken pin and I heard myself say, "I can fix this." And then I went to City Hall and wrote the CM a compliment thanking him for turning pin-trading into a quasi-ethereal experience.

4. I knew I was forgetting a fourth one. This one I owe entirely to my brother, and it just may qualify as my best one. It was around Valentine's Day, and I was feeling bitter because I didn't have a sweetheart that year. So as we were leaving Disneyland that night, my brother ran off and completely disappeared for several minutes. We were looking all around for him, thinking he must've wanted a fortune or a soda or something, but then he comes back carrying one of those light-up roses the vendors sell at night. I wondered why in the world he would've wanted one of those, but then he comes up and gives it to me as my Valentine's present. I realized he must've known how I was feeling, and he used his own pocket-money to buy it for me on his own initiative. That was one of the best moments I've ever had.
    Last edited by The Dark Lady; 07-15-2008 at 06:24 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Running around the park at all hours of the night with my brother to make the most of our early days at the park. We started that when I was 13 and I guess still haven't stopped.

Taking my great-grandma on Small World (which she adored so much she sang from her wheelchair when she thought we weren't looking) and then eating her "picnic lunch" on the curb of main street while waiting for the parade.

I went with a group of 13 classmates this year. It was a bonding experience for the year to come.

• In my own neverland

1. Riding Splash Mountain for the first time as a kid with my grandparents and having my grandpa hold me in the boat with his cowboy hat.

2. Seeing the 50th fireworks show for the first time. I cried during the show because I know my mom would have LOVED it (and it was from her that I got the Disney bug!)

3. Staying at the DL Hotel many years ago with my entire extended family for my grandparents anniversary.

4. Getting to walk the red carpet and go to the premiere of POTC III with my sister. Watching the movie over the Rivers of America was truly magical. It's something I will NEVER FORGET!

5. Grad night at Disneyland with my best friend. We went to ride Indy and it was dark outside. We came out afterword and it was light (it felt so backwards but so cool).

• Banned User

I have a million, but, the most cherished was my first trip when I was 6. It was 1967. My mom had cancer, and, died when I had just turned 9. That trip with her started my love of Disneyland. I have a framed photo of the two of us standing next to Monstro and to this day, I always get my photo taken next to Monstro....because that's where she and I stood 41 years ago.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

going on a fist date in DL and standing in the lobby of 50 first years holding my (now GF's) hand and talking
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Lady View Post
    1. Being at DLR during a wind storm. That was one of the most enjoyable times I've had out, ever. It's quite a thing to be in DL dancing around in circles and feeling the wind wrapping itself around you and lifting your dress around in swirls while the sky thunders with hidden lions roaring against your breastplate and the wind pulls down a tree right next to you and you hear the thing break and snap and crash to the ground and you realize that the force dancing with you is the same one that just destroyed a huge tree just a few feet away from you. That was awesome.

2. Standing in the Stretching Room of the Haunted Mansion and knowing that the cute CM in the dashing butler outfit has had a huge crush on you for the longest time, and noticing that he stares at only you as the room stretches downward, but you keep staring up at just the Tightrope-Walker, and soon he turns around and looks up at her painting just to see what you've been staring at, and as the doors open up and it's time to disappear, you look straight at him and smile and you can tell from his face that that's what he's been waiting for, and that he wishes so much that he could follow you to your doombuggy, but you're just a dark lady and you sit next to no one. This has happened more than once, in case you couldn't tell. I wonder if any of them will ever read this post.

3. I was standing by myself in Snow White's Grotto, and this wasn't very long after something bad had happened. I remember I was feeling so hopeless and alone, especially when that soundclip of Snow White singing "I'm Wishing" started playing. So then I left and walked over to the Silver Spur to see the pins, and a CM at the register was fiddling with something. He asked me if I wanted it, and he showed me it was a broken pin of Snow White and her prince together. In that moment, I felt surrounded by a spiderweb of fate/destiny/whatever kind of force, and I literally felt the strands of the web brushing over and through me, and I got the message: Don't ever feel as if you're alone again. So I took the broken pin and I heard myself say, "I can fix this." And then I went to City Hall and wrote the CM a compliment thanking him for turning pin-trading into a quasi-ethereal experience.

4. I knew I was forgetting a fourth one. This one I owe entirely to my brother, and it just may qualify as my best one. It was around Valentine's Day, and I was feeling bitter because I didn't have a sweetheart that year. So as we were leaving Disneyland that night, my brother ran off and completely disappeared for several minutes. We were looking all around for him, thinking he must've wanted a fortune or a soda or something, but then he comes back carrying one of those light-up roses the vendors sell at night. I wondered why in the world he would've wanted one of those, but then he comes up and gives it to me as my Valentine's present. I realized he must've known how I was feeling, and he used his own pocket-money to buy it for me on his own initiative. That was one of the best moments I've ever had.

aren't brothers just great?
    I luff my big brother!

• Old Timer

Okay, I'll play your game.

Of course, the best memory was meeting Walt himself and driving up Main Street in his electric car. When I told him I liked Peter Pan he told me that they were going to have a new ride all about pirates.

Next would be watching Peter Pan and Captain Hook fighting all over the Chicken of the Sea ship. Peter won, of course.

The last would be when the couple who I had given wish pennies to the year before introduced me to Teresa Lynn, the daughter who was conceived the weekend I seen them; they had been told they would never be able to have children of their own.

Those are the first three that come to mind. Thank you for asking.
    Last edited by Lynn, Renaissance Woman; 07-16-2008 at 12:54 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Before I walk down this road, I gotta say...GREAT THREAD! Things have been kinda blue lately and a moment like this is great for remembering good times are always to be had.

1. My mother taking my brother and I to a Disney resort after the passing of my father. I was only 5 at the time and it still rides with me the importance of this trip.

2. Going to Disneyland with all the actors and actresses I had been performing with and finding that Disneyland was truly an amazing place. I remember we found we could stay awake, beyond human limits of exhaustion.

3. Taking my first crush there and finding you can really double your heart rate on the most sedate of rides whilst sitting next to someone you find worthwhile.

4. My (not-yet at the time) partner taking me to the parks, "because I knew you wanted to go so badly." He was just as excited as I was. We lay there in bed at 4am talking about how we couldn't sleep we were so excited. We were in our late 20s!

5. Going back for his 35 birthday and not having lost that magic.

6. Taking friends who had never been and see them "oooo!" and "aaaaah!' at things you've seen a hundred and one times prior and realizing, again, 'yeah, this place is still cool!'

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    going on a fist date in DL and standing in the lobby of 50 first years holding my (now GF's) hand and talking
    Awwww ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast