Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A few contributions to DCA's low attendance.

I know people say the park sucks and stuff and thats why it doesnt get any attendance but I wanted to point out a few things that other people and I have noticed that make contributions to the parks low attendance.

-The park opens later(people go to disneyland in the morning to wait for DCA and buy the time DCA is open, people say "well were here we might as well stay here"
    -DCA is a one day park and DL is a 2 day park. so the ratio of people going into disneyland 2 and DCA 1 day kinda is the same as the attendance(That was hard to explain hopefully you get what I am saying)
    -The park is still very new. (to me its not new, because Ive ben quite a bit. but Ive heard many people say "yeah thats the new park there right? Yeah we haven't gotten a chance to check that out yet."

so here are a few things that I think really contribute to the low attendance.

• Minion

Re: A few contributions to DCA's low attendance.

...and that it sucks.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The park just plain sucks... lets go back in history...

Disney offered TWO tickets for just $33 to DCA for the first summer, and still couldn't bring them in!!!! (Buy an Adult ticket at the Child's price, and get a Child's ticket for free). And this is BEFORE 9/11, and the summer had great weather!

Disney also couldn't sell the SoCal Special (2 days, one day at each park, no ParkHopping) when they tried to charge an extra $9 or so for the ticket, the vast majority decided to just get a one day Disneyland Only ticket. Only when Disney decided to convert the offer to a 2fer, or "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" offer did DCA see a spike in attendance...

But the first big increase in attendance for DCA was when Disney decided they had to change the AP program prior to the first set of renewals for those holding a 2-park AP... Only by converting ALL AP's to a 2-park AP, and offering them at the old single park price did they get some decent attendance for DCA.... which is now known as the "AP Lounge"

The park just doesn't rate, especially to SoCal locals, that can go to Knott's, Universal Studios Hollywood, Sx Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego, plus others instead of DCA....

DCA is a one day Park... Come on, it is a HALF day park, especially in the off-season!!!!

The park is New???? It is over 4 years old, and many folks, especially the SoCal's have been to the park, many during the previews, and many more on the SoCal specials.... but they don't desire to return, but would rather go to Disneyland, or a non-Disney park!

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9078
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    I know people say the park sucks and stuff and thats why it doesnt get any attendance but I wanted to point out a few things that other people and I have noticed that make contributions to the parks low attendance.

-The park opens later(people go to disneyland in the morning to wait for DCA and buy the time DCA is open, people say "well were here we might as well stay here"
    -DCA is a one day park and DL is a 2 day park. so the ratio of people going into disneyland 2 and DCA 1 day kinda is the same as the attendance(That was hard to explain hopefully you get what I am saying)
    -The park is still very new. (to me its not new, because Ive ben quite a bit. but Ive heard many people say "yeah thats the new park there right? Yeah we haven't gotten a chance to check that out yet."

so here are a few things that I think really contribute to the low attendance.
    if Marcie is to be believed then if you enter Disneyland first on an AP or Hopper ticket first then your entry to DCA doesn't get counted

I still find it weird that the two days I was at DCA this summer resemble nothing of the pictures I saw on the net (I also believe they might have been block out days?)

the park was fairly crowded

a bit lighter then Disneyland but still places like the Backlot were a bit hard to walk across

then again I never saw ToT with more then 13min wait (Soarin never had a small line though and it's fast passes went all the way till 6 Screamin was about an hour and Grizzly was an hour in the late afternoon and up to two hours midday)

the only places that seemed unpopluated to me were A Bugs Land and the Pier (A Bugs Land is just too kiddy and the Pier was so hard to walk to without dieing from the heat I don't know why it seemed so much hoter there but resting in the Pizza Place was a bit nice after going on Screamin)

• Shubisha

The 13 minute wait thing is a joke :P But generally it means there's a really short line, come on in.

On a side note I've been very surprised how short the line for ToT is. With CA Screamin down I expected this to be the centerpoint of DCA's attendance yet it's not and I've gotten into it pretty darn quick every time. Obviously DCA doesn't have much attendance to begin with but more people are in line for Soarin than they are for ToT. This could just be because the ToT ride is quicker but I dunno.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^ A Lot of folks don't like ToT, they don't want a thrill ride, and the drop factor scares the .... out of folks. ToT is a fun ride, but it usually has at least one member of the family sitting out... which is NOT a good thing in the long term....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Wonderful World

Man u guys always hate on DCA dude lol.Yes the park has its problems but its still in the early ages.And I think in time if the people who are running the place arent complete morons they will fix it up.To tell the truth I didn't hate DCA till I joined Micechat and you people exposed me to its many flaws.With California Screamin not open the park has turned into a big pile of poo
    I'm back MiceChat

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by painted windows
    Man u guys always hate on DCA dude lol.Yes the park has its problems but its still in the early ages.
    Why do I have the feeling that thirty years from now people are still going to say, "hey, it's a young and growing park compared to Disneyland, give it some time and it will be fine".............
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Space Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    ToT is a fun ride, but it usually has at least one member of the family sitting out... which is NOT a good thing in the long term....
    I'm always that guy. I rode it twice for the girlfriend, but I just can't handle it. Too scared of the height.
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

• Sock Puppet

Man u guys always hate on DCA dude lol.Yes the park has its problems but its still in the early ages.And I think in time if the people who are running the place arent complete morons they will fix it up.To tell the truth I didn't hate DCA till I joined Micechat and you people exposed me to its many flaws.With California Screamin not open the park has turned into a big pile of poo
    So your going on the "early stages" theory?

Tokyo Disney Seas. Nuff said.

If Disney invested the money that DCA needed, then it would have been successful. But they took the cheap way out. It's been said over and over. I know. But it's the truth.

And to blame Micechat for YOU hating DCA? Thats bull. A person in their right mind (Or own mind ) can see the way they cheaped out on the park.

• Wonderful World

Quote Originally Posted by 100th Dalmation
    So your going on the "early stages" theory?

Tokyo Disney Seas. Nuff said.

If Disney invested the money that DCA needed, then it would have been successful. But they took the cheap way out. It's been said over and over. I know. But it's the truth.

And to blame Micechat for YOU hating DCA? Thats bull. A person in their right mind (Or own mind ) can see the way they cheaped out on the park.
    So what are you callin me dumb???I'm pretty sure when I went in 2004 I spent half my time there.And my dad and sister like DCA better then Disneyland.Not all minds are alike my friend
    I'm back MiceChat

• FastPass n00b

I think when even TDA acknowledges DCA as a failure, that's a good indicator that the park does not meet Disney's standards. If you put a park a few hundred feet away from Disneyland, you'd better make damn sure it's going to knock people's socks off. No other Disney park in the world has the disadvantage of having to keep up with Disneyland.

The trouble with the resort mentality, besides the fact that there is simply no room in Anaheim, is that Disneyland has had 50 years to fill in, both in terms of rides and vegetation and 11 of those years were personally guided by Walt himself. If any park is going to be within a stone's throw of Disneyland, it has to be of DisneySea quality otherwise people will simply choose Disneyland every time given the choice between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Why do I have the feeling that thirty years from now people are still going to say, "hey, it's a young and growing park compared to Disneyland, give it some time and it will be fine".............

I stand by what I said on another thread, EPCOT took its sweet time to become a 3/4 day park and Disney/MGM and AK are both 1/2 day parks. Nothing is going to compare to DLR or MK, live with it people.

As for Toyko Disney Sea, well, thats not truly Disney so they had a big advantage. That park had people behind it that wanted to make it great, something thats completley un-American. I have never seen of or heard of a themepark that opened in the USA that was as themed and immersive the current DL and MK are.

And by the way, if you look at what DL had in it when it opened up... well, it looked dull. The park only got better with age.

• Sock Puppet

So what are you callin me dumb???I'm pretty sure when I went in 2004 I spent half my time there.And my dad and sister like DCA better then Disneyland.Not all minds are alike my friend
    No, I'm not calling you dumb. I would never do that to anyone. People can have their own opinions about DCA. I can respect that you dad and sister likes DCA over Disneyland. But to say that it's in it's "early stages" makes no sense to me. The park is 4 years old!

And to blame the fine people here on Micechat for making you hate DCA because, and I quote
    "they exposed me to its many flaws"
    just proves my point even more.

Here's your sign...........

• Banned User

You are soooo right i used to love DCA before I joind MC and you guys "convinced me to hate it". so what if the park is not like TDS, there's a major between these parks TDS IS IN TOKYO, and that means they get bigger budgets than us, trust me if they had a bigger budget on DCA it would be just as goo as TDS. and btw DCA is mostly for teens and young adults, when we had the ap, we usually spent half the day at DCA (riding the rides a million times) and the the rest in TL or FL till the fireworks till we went home and btw my little bro and sis LOVE DCA more tha DL (it has more recreational areas like the Brother Bear play area. Thanx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast