• 1962 - 2007

Question I have some questions about a job in Disneyland security

Does anyone here work in Disneyland security, or has done so previously?

If so, would you mind answering some questions, please? If you have the time.

1. Do you/did you enjoy your job? Is the job itself enjoyable?

2. Do you get a chance to 'give that Disney feeling' to people? (Besides keeping them all safe, I mean. ) I always hear Disneyland CM's talking about experiences they've had of them doing something special for someone, and I think that'd be a great feeling to have.

3. What type of things would you be doing?

4. Is it a fairly safe job?

5. How difficult is it? I hope it's not one of those jobs that are so difficult and frustrating, they end up making you hate Disney.

6. Can you just go and apply for the job, without having a prior job in security and/or training?

That's all I can think of, so:

7. Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks to anyone who helps out.

• Sock Puppet

Re: I have some questions about a job in Disneyland security

I can help a little.

a requirement is a card guard, disney does not provide them, you have to already have one. can be $250 or so depending on where you go for one. California no longer issues temp cards, you have to wait for your card to be mailed to you before you can work.

You also need a drivers license, as they sometimes may have you drive around the resort or to the el captian for a movie premiere or whatever.

some can be nice, others are literally failed reject cops who failed the cop training programs cities offer... think you can figure it out from there how their temper is

i've assisted some before in helping guests, like the time someone stole a handicapped kids wheel chair. The guard gave the parents his full badge info, name, number, etc and sent them to the stroller/wheelchair shop to get a new one free of charge.

Generally the more isolated the guard is, the more of a, uhh "creature" they are. examples spring to mind like those who spend all their time in the parking structure putting dents in chairs watching a bank of CCTV monitors and keeping krispy kreme in business.

starting pay is 10.25/hour. here's more info, try for 3rd shift if possible (less bs usually) http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/d.../security.html You may have to go around with the armored truck drivers also picking up all the money, can be kinda dangerous depending on your point of view

good luck!

Disneyland Security has a very low turnover rate. Most of the officers have been there a long time. This says a lot about whether they enjoy their jobs.
    Magic can be made by any cast member at any time in almost any department, so dont worry about that.
    Pay is low, work is part time with little or no benefits until you are able to move up to full time. There are numerous areas in Security for specialized training and different job functions.
    You must be able to deal with all kinds of people in an amazing variety of situations with a calm, courteous manner. You will gain an intimate knowledge of the park, guests, and employees in a way that many say "ruins the magic".

Good Luck!

• The Purifier

I was a security officer about 10 years ago and I loved that job! However, it can get really boring if you are stationed at one of the gates around the perimeter on a graveyard shift. Harbor House (is it still called that?) was cool and I think back by Ball Road is ok because that is another entrance for employees, or was when I worked there. Working the park areas or the hotels was wonderful - a lot of interaction with people and plenty of opportunity to give a Disney experience. Working the grad nights can be an adventure dealing with all those teenagers. It is not a difficult job, nor is it dangerous and you do not need prior experience - at least you didn't when I was an officer. You will work closely with Anaheim PD and the fire department and you may be asked to work double shifts occasionally. When I was there, it was important to make yourself available if they call you in to cover a shift. If you were available, the schedulers tended to schedule you for really good areas to work in. I always made myself available for extra shifts and told the schedulers to give me a call if anything needed filling. They remembered me and were very good about rewarding my efforts.

Edit: I got in the best shape of my life when I was an officer - especially during the summer because there were days when I was all over the park. You certainly get your exercise!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Wrldtrvlr View Post
    Disneyland Security has a very low turnover rate. Most of the officers have been there a long time. This says a lot about whether they enjoy their jobs.
    Yeah thats the same thing a casting agent said to me.

• Semi-Lurker

I've always wondered if there is a height requirement for the officers that work inside the park. It always seemed to me that most of them were very tall.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by custodialcleaner View Post
    I can help a little.

a requirement is a card guard, disney does not provide them, you have to already have one. can be $250 or so depending on where you go for one. California no longer issues temp cards, you have to wait for your card to be mailed to you before you can work.

some can be nice, others are literally failed reject cops who failed the cop training programs cities offer... think you can figure it out from there how their temper is

Generally the more isolated the guard is, the more of a, uhh "creature" they are. examples spring to mind like those who spend all their time in the parking structure putting dents in chairs watching a bank of CCTV monitors and keeping krispy kreme in business.

good luck!
    Interesting that Disney does not provide the Guard Card as part of employment...I worked for several security companies to help pay the bills before I got into law enforcement and all of them (definately smaller companies Disney) all took care of all fees for the Guard Card.

I am not sure about your language as far as "failed reject cops." The majority of security I have talked to are former/retired law enforcement yes. As to the "training programs cities offer" it's called a "POST Academy" (Peace Officer Standardized Training) and it is required and regulated by the state of California. The programs are very difficult in which candidates are required to pass exams with a 75 to 80% score or higher and can only remediate ONE test ONE time through out the entire academy process. The POST academy is a very difficult and physically as well as mentally demanding program. To not complete it does not indicate automatically (as your post seemed to lean toward) that they have any type of temper problem.

I would think you would be just as concerned if someone made such stereotypical and uninfomed statements about people in the Custodial/Janitorial profession.

• Bleh....

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Interesting that Disney does not provide the Guard Card as part of employment...I worked for several security companies to help pay the bills before I got into law enforcement and all of them (definately smaller companies Disney) all took care of all fees for the Guard Card.

I am not sure about your language as far as "failed reject cops." The majority of security I have talked to are former/retired law enforcement yes. As to the "training programs cities offer" it's called a "POST Academy" (Peace Officer Standardized Training) and it is required and regulated by the state of California. The programs are very difficult in which candidates are required to pass exams with a 75 to 80% score or higher and can only remediate ONE test ONE time through out the entire academy process. The POST academy is a very difficult and physically as well as mentally demanding program. To not complete it does not indicate automatically (as your post seemed to lean toward) that they have any type of temper problem.

I would think you would be just as concerned if someone made such stereotypical and uninfomed statements about people in the Custodial/Janitorial profession.
    funny that i come across this thread after talking to someone about it yesterday. well the thing about guard card is that disney does send you to get one, thru a private company however, i believe they flip the bill on this one.

and in regards to the security team adding to the atmosphere of the parks, they do a remarkable job. however if you feel that you rather not interact with guests, you do have to remember there are posistions on and off stage.

another thing is seniority. because a lot of the guards there have many years if not decades with the company, they get prority on scheduling and locations. so it might be rough on your flexibility for a while when you start.

We have a lot of wonderful security cast members. Head to the flag retreat moat days to meet one of our favorite, and one of the nicest gentlemen you'll know.

• Confused One

Hey all I might be able to help. I own a security company here in town (Been in biz for 20yrs) and before sep 11th yes it was easy to get a guard card. But after sep 11th it is very hard and a pain in the BUTT. I have had many people come up to me and ask about a job or how to get a guard card. I have told them if you don't have one then hope you like not working while you get it. It's really hard to get it now a days. Also for anyone is thinking of getting a guard card here http://www.bsis.ca.gov/. That is CA site.

BUT on a good note I have thought about this too. I would love to be a security guard at Disney. I have thought about this many many times. Just never saw an opening.