Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Happy 53rd "Re-Dedication" Day - July 17th, 2008

just nvm, lol

• Cast Member

It's July 17th. Disney says that's what it is.

Enjoy yourself.

Need I say more?

• Minion

Edit: Never mind haha my point was already stated.
    The daydream princess

• "I Break Things"

I have to put this on here. Regardless of the privacy, and "invitation only" all of America was able to watch Disneyland's opening. IMO the "movie screening" analogy does not hold water specifically because we only see the red carpet, not the movie. In the case of Disneyland they showed everything, every land, every attraction, every speech and dedication as if you were there. They had party crashers, and so some would count that as "public" but I see it as Disney being unveiled. It was brought into the homes of America and presented to everyone in much the same way a Presidential Inauguration is. We were as much a part of Disneyland's opening as any invited guest, we watched it all as if we were there. The fact that Walt gave his speech that day, and then delivered the exact same speech the following day, shows how important that day was. If he had thought anything less, then why deliver a Dedication Speech twice?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Disneyland is your land.

Wow, of all the arguments on these boards over the years, I think this one tops the cake of being absolutely ridiculous.

While Disneyland did open to the general public on July 18, it was unveiled to the world on July 17. Think of it this way. If your baby is born on the 1st, but you don't see him until the 2nd does that mean the anniversay of his birthday should be moved to the 2nd although his date of birth is actually the 1st?

Just my two cents.
    Class of 2005...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    If you want to reduce it to something as simple as that I'd equally claim that since they celebrated it as July 18th while Walt was still alive, and he's the guy who created it, then it's July 18th and whatever Disney wants to claim now is irrelevant.
    Okay ... so if the only things that REALLY count with Disneyland are the things that happened when Walt was alive ... then you should really only experience "Walts" Disneyland. No Pirates, Mansion, Space Mtn, Big Thunder, WDW, Tokyo Disney, Disneyland Paris, HK Disneyland, etc.

Anything after Dec. 1966 is all hands off for you.

• We Want The Redhead

On a whole different note, it was really GREAT to finally meet so many of you (us), and learn that you were all as friendly and kind as I could want!
    Daughter Daisy and I both ahad a great time with you all, and look forward to more fun and adventure in the coming years!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

July 17th 1955 was a SOFT OPENING (it's like an out of town preview). The park opened on July 18th.

Not that I care one bit which day Disneyland has its "birthday", I just wanted to use my quote from Oceans 13. It felt appropriate.

And kudos to the allusion to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Sweet.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    Wow, of all the arguments on these boards over the years, I think this one tops the cake of being absolutely ridiculous.
    Yep, pretty much.

Although I'm curious as to why, nearly three full pages into the discussion, DarkBeer appears to have abandoned the thread he started.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm curious as to why DB hasn't retorted. He's been in here, I've seen his name below in the active viewers DB????

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I have to put this on here. Regardless of the privacy, and "invitation only" all of America was able to watch Disneyland's opening. IMO the "movie screening" analogy does not hold water specifically because we only see the red carpet, not the movie.
    So you would be perfectly happy to never visit DL again, as long as you could view it on TV? That's ridiculous. DL is meant to be experienced, not observed. The inescapable fact is DL was not open to the public until the 18th, and I believe Disney celebrated the anniversary of its opening as the 18th while Walt was alive, under his direct supervision.
    In the case of Disneyland they showed everything, every land, every attraction, every speech and dedication as if you were there.
    "As if you were there" is hardly the same as being there--and if you didn't have an invite, you were not allowed in. Doesn't sound like the DL we all know.
    They had party crashers, and so some would count that as "public" but I see it as Disney being unveiled.
    Another specious argument. Because there were people who trespassed, it made the private party 'public'? C'mon.
    It was brought into the homes of America and presented to everyone in much the same way a Presidential Inauguration is. We were as much a part of Disneyland's opening as any invited guest, we watched it all as if we were there.
    Hyperbole. You were not there (or even born), and any who watched it on the TV screen was not there, nor were they wanted there that day--or else they would have received an invite to the private party.
    The fact that Walt gave his speech that day, and then delivered the exact same speech the following day, shows how important that day was. If he had thought anything less, then why deliver a Dedication Speech twice?
    Because the 18th was the day the Park was opened for all to enjoy. It would be better for your argument if he hadn't made the speech on the 18th as well.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'll accept that as game, set, match!
    I have made no secret that I agree with the position that the 17th is an acceptable anniversary date--I was merely defending Darkbeer's argument that was being dismissed out-of-hand as if it had little merit. It was a debate that required a thoughtful defense of Darkbeer's position, IMO.

• I'm not really here

I wouldn't necessarily call this ridiculous. It's a valid question, and one that has no real firmly defined answer (hence the debate). There are really great arguments for both sides on this one, and as a discussion board frequented by people rather more than obsessed with all things Disney, it is a question that becomes valid.

It would be like not knowing what day your brother or sister was born on. As someone so close to you that you care about you'd want to know. For many of us, Disneyland is a family member in a way. Knowing these things is important to us.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I'm curious as to why DB hasn't retorted. He's been in here, I've seen his name below in the active viewers DB????
    Since I have been arguing his position he probably figured "Why mess with perfection?".

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

OK, I was at the park most of yesterday, and then tried to get pictures for the Fireworks from HoJo's (alas, they CANCELLED the fireworks due to wind).

Today, I need to go to the National Train Show in about 30 minutes, then the Noon Meet for Disneyland's 53rd Birthday, then head over to the NFFC convention to meet Wally Boag, and then meet friends at the Cove Bar around 4 PM....

I can't be on line all the time, sorry...

And thanks for those in support of celebrating BOTH the 17th and 18th...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast