Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Re: Happy 53rd "Re-Dedication" Day - July 17th, 2008

Ok, before I run off.

At any point in the day, Disneyland has the right to refuse park entry to anyone, if you're an AP, if you're a ticket holder, or a movie star.

If you're given entry into Disneyland, you're being "invited" as a guest of the park. I would also like to point out that on the 17th, Guests of all were invited. Of the 6 thousand invited, 28 thousand showed up. Though the original 6 thousand weren't all members of the press, and movies stars, they also included church youth groups, schools, and locales.

• Goofy

was it crowded?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    At any point in the day, Disneyland has the right to refuse park entry to anyone, if you're an AP, if you're a ticket holder, or a movie star.

If you're given entry into Disneyland, you're being "invited" as a guest of the park.
    Do you require a formal invitation to be issued to you (and your guests) personally to be able to gain admittance to DL on days it was 'open to the public'? I don't. And neither has anyone else since the 17th.
    I would also like to point out that on the 17th, Guests of all were invited. Of the 6 thousand invited, 28 thousand showed up. Though the original 6 thousand weren't all members of the press, and movies stars, they also included church youth groups, schools, and locales.
    (BOLD mine) Invited. Exactly. Though I agree that the 17th is as good a starting point as any, to pretend that DL opened to the public on the 17th is unreasonable and illogical, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    was it crowded?
    Was it ever! I remember waiting in lines so for so long... Half the attractions didn't work, and they ended up closing off most of Disneyland in the latter part of the afternoon. Not to mention there were a whole lot of whipper snappers running around, reciting the speals, calling the attractions by the wrong names, while listening to their portable record players, and writing notes very loudly while on the attractions...

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Do you require a formal invitation to be issued to you (and your guests) personally to be able to gain admittance to DL on days it was 'open to the public'? I don't. And neither has anyone else since the 17th.
    Last time I checked you needed a ticket of some sort to enter Disneyland. At which point, Disney has the right to refuse you buying a ticket, or letting you in even if you have an AP. The reason everyone is called a guest, is because you're being invited...

(I'll admit it's a loose augment, but I'll stick with it for now)

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Okay ... so if the only things that REALLY count with Disneyland are the things that happened when Walt was alive ... then you should really only experience "Walts" Disneyland. No Pirates, Mansion, Space Mtn, Big Thunder, WDW, Tokyo Disney, Disneyland Paris, HK Disneyland, etc.

Anything after Dec. 1966 is all hands off for you.
    No I didn't say that and this has nothing to do with experiencing "Walt's Disneyland" or the dumb adage of trying to keep the parks the way Walt wanted. But since you think that the 'end of story' to the debate on Disneyland's birthday is that the person who owns it gets to decide, I think there's more weight on what the guy who built it from the ground up has to say. Because while the park may change plenty, the dead guy's opinion on when he personally opened the park to the public never will.

•   

Last time I checked you needed a ticket of some sort to enter Disneyland. At which point, Disney has the right to refuse you buying a ticket, or letting you in even if you have an AP. The reason everyone is called a guest, is because you're being invited...

(I'll admit it's a loose augment, but I'll stick with it for now)
    Good choice--I like it when a position is defended vigorously!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    But since you think that the 'end of story' to the debate on Disneyland's birthday is that the person who owns it gets to decide, I think there's more weight on what the guy who built it from the ground up has to say.
    Let's not go too far here. I don't believe there is a Quotation by Walt stating anything as such. Otherwise this wouldn't be debatable. Which simply wouldn't be as much fun.

Good choice--I like it when a position is defended vigorously!
    Just taking a page from "The Book of Swab"

• Shubisha

There isn't but his argument was that the company chooses to celebrate it on the 17th, end of story and I think that's a bit oversimplified and if we're going to look at it that way I'll counter back that when walt was still alive it was celebrated on the 18th so end of story =P

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think I remember someone saying that the birthday should be celebrated on the 18th because that's when Walt celebrated it and that's what he would have wanted.

One thing I've learned about Walt Disney from the Gabler biography is that he was terrible at remembering important dates. For example he could never remember what the date was of Mickey's "birthday". So I wouldn't be surprised if he could remember Disneyland's opening day.

From this information I'll guess that he celebrated it on the 18th more out of advice from his advisors rather than him actually remembering the date of July 17 or 18, 1955.

•   

Let's not go too far here. I don't believe there is a Quotation by Walt stating anything as such. Otherwise this wouldn't be debatable.
    Since Walt, like most of us, was practically a walking contradiction himself, even quotes are debatable; as are most things.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    There isn't but his argument was that the company chooses to celebrate it on the 17th, end of story and I think that's a bit oversimplified and countered back that when walt was alive it was celebrated on the 18th so end of story =P
    Which is quite understandable, and I completely agree. It was just that little park, er, I mean part.

Since Walt, like most of us, was practically a walking contradiction himself, even quotes are debatable; as are most things.
    Come on now swab! Do you really believe that, I mean really? Should I now be waiting for you to start telling me how the moon lading was real also... For shame swab, for shame.

We all know that Walt knew exactly what he was doing. In order to keep people talking, he misquoted himself all the time. Thus leading us to talk about Disney more often. Let's just put it out on the table now; the man was a well rounded genus!
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 07-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.

• Remember the Magic

The date most worthy of being considered a "birthday" (an apt analogy for the event) is the 17th.

That regular Joes weren't invited to be there in person, doesn't mean the park wasn't operational and made "special" on the 17th. That, after hyping the park so much on TV, Disney was aware of the complexities of hosting such an event and tried to control the environment by attempting to limit access with invites, doesn't take away from the specialness of the 17th - especially to those who were invited, those who got in anyway, or those who participated in the only way they could through the help of their invited surrogates known as the media.

If you want to celebrate "Accessible by the Public Day", then the 18th is for you. Not that there's any harm in doing that --the park was designed for you after all-- but if you do, keep in mind that what you are really celebrating is not so much Disneyland, but yourself: the public.

.:Magic1:.

• I love my family!

The presentation of the Park on the 17th is when the park came to life, the TV special was Disneyland's birth to the world.

July 17, 1955 was the day the whole family sat around and watched as the park became part of the family.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    While 28,000 people entered the park on July 17th, only 15,000 were actually invited. Counterfeiting of opening day tickets was rampant and Disneyland staff was totally unprepared to address the problem and handle the crush of humanity.
    I have a really hard time believing the counterfeiting story. Much like the colorblind bulldozer story, it sounds like something that was totally made up and somehow passed into the realm of fact.

Why would so many people take the time to counterfeit tickets to Disneyland for a preview the day before? How would they do it? Xerox machines weren't all that common back in the 1950s were they? And I have a hard time believing that the gate CMs were unable to tell the difference.

I also seriously doubt that 13,000 people hopped the fence.

July 17th, for purposes of the TV show, was marketed as the opening day of Disneyland. It makes far more sense to me that 13,000 folks showed up at the park that day, believing that Disneyland would be open to the public as had been advertised on television. I'd further guess that somewhere up the food chain, possibly even Walt, made the decision at some time to let those folks into the park to keep tempers down and bad press in check.

When people complained about the huge crowds, some magical disney spinster (probably Marty) spun it into "COUNTERFEIT TICKETS WERE THE PROBLEM"

Anyway just some thoughts. Put me down in the July 17th camp.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast