Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• My Children's Father

Re: My worst fear as a godmother...

When I took my then almost 2-year old daughter for a quick one-day visit, it was the worst trip of my life. ALthough some of the "badness" stemmed from a defective stroller and insane crowds, the major contributing factor was that she didn't want to do anything but ride the carousel and the train. I'm sure she had fun ...... but she did not remember it, and I'll never forget it.

Of course, two years earlier we took our then 2-year old son and everything went fine .... of course he was much more willing to do things .........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Man O Lantern

I think they know their child well enough to know if she's ready for Disneyland (although, I know what you mean about her adoption issues, we have many little friends who were adopted from China and Korea who were skittish as toddlers).

I have three kids who all went to Disneyland for the first time (and second and third time) when they were quite young. The oldest was 2.5 her first trip, the middle child was 22 months (who hadn't talked yet, but DANG if we couldn't shut her up afterward!), and a few years later we had our third child and she took her first trip at ten months.

What does it matter if she remembers it or not? We do a lot for kids that they won't remember down the road.....we read to them, enroll them in preschool, take them to parks, play with them, take them to the zoo....will they remember all that? No. But they'll be HAPPY at the time.

The joy in a young child's face (even my youngest had a blast at ten months!) when they are at Disneyland is amazing. When I see my kids with Mickey Mouse, I'm not looking at Mickey, I'm looking at the happiness in my kids' eyes. When we go on their first roller coaster ride, I'm looking at my kids' expressions. When we go on It's a Small World, I miss half the ride.....I'm watching the excitement on their faces. And when we get off of it and they beg to go back on it again.....we do.

My kids didn't care that much about the characters sometimes.....especially when we took my oldest at 2.5. She wasn't allowed to watch movies back then, so she had no clue about the characters, but she still had a blast for five days!

I know you're frustrated, but relax.....it's a good thing they're doing.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

All children are different. I took my oldest to WDW for the first time when she was almost 7 and my middle one was 2.5. The younger one just didn't enjoy it at all, she didn't want to ride in the stroller, didn't want to stay in line, didn't want to do anything but run around and that was the one thing she couldn't do. My DH wasn't feeling so well that day, so we took them back to the hotel and the oldest and I stayed at WDW until closing, it was so great! Does she remember it? Not really, she remembers riding Splash Mountain.

Last year, we went again and the oldest was 10, middle one was almost 6 and youngest was almost 2. They all had a blast, an absolute blast! It was the best trip we have ever taken as a family where nobody got mad, everyone was in high spirits all day long and everyone enjoyed themselves. My little one remembers and still talks about what we did. She wasn't really talking at the time but learned to say Mickey and Pluto during that trip because she fell in love with them, still loves them. She hadn't seen the movies. She enjoys looking at the pictures and talking about it almost daily. And my middle one talks about what we did and doing it again when we go back, she was a much different child on this trip. Of course, it didn't hurt that nobody else was in the park and we hardly waited in line anywhere for anything the whole trip... perhaps bigger crowds would have made for a much less fun trip.

Anyway, I don't think your Goddaughter is too young, but her parents will know best. And their memories will be wonderful family memories forever, their pictures will last and help to remind them.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• UnExiled Minion

Do note the admission price for a 2-year-old.

If this is your worst fear as a godmother, then I wish I were you.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

Generally, I don't think two is too young. There are exceptions, but most two-year-olds would have a blast at Disneyland.

My first visit to Disneyland was on my third birthday, and I still have one very fond memory of that visit. At the end of a magical day in this mysterious wonderland, I tottered down Main Street, back toward the old parking lot, hand in hand with my grandfather, as the fireworks lit the way. Just that one memory is enough to make me glad I went. According to my parents, I was thrilled the whole rest of the day.

Keep in mind, whether a child goes to Disneyland or not at a certain age will probably not have a huge impact on his or her life. If your goddaughter goes now, she'll probably love it. If she goes for the first time two years from now, she'll probably love it. If she goes for the first time fourteen years from now, she'll probably just want to shop in Downtown Disney, because that's how many first-time teens are at DLR.

Anyway, don't get too stressed over this. If worst comes to worse, you can just find a quiet area of the park and relax for a while. If you're in Fantasyland, you could take Big Thunder Trail over to the pond by Big Thunder and watch the fish, for example.

• Banned User

I see no problem.

I take my just-turned-two year old to DL all the time, and she loves it. But it sounds like your goddaughter might have sensory issues, and in that case, I wouldn't take her until she was a little older. Most kids wouldn't have a problem with it, but for a kid with sensory issues, DL could be really unpleasant. Hopefully they're in tune with her enough so that if they take her and see that it's too overwhelming for her, that they'll leave.

All kids are different, so I wouldn't make a decision based on someone saying "I take my baby to Disneyland". I take mine all the time, and she does great, but some kids just can't handle it. Kids aren't all the same.

At any rate, if it were me taking a 2 year old in this situation, I'd be very cautious. I'd stay out of ToonTown, there's really nothing that a 2 year old can do there, except for the Roger Rabbit ride, which I don't recommend for a kid with sensory issues. I'd also keep her away from the characters, as I'd expect them to be scary for her, escpecially if she's shy.

We were gonna take our grandson when he was 3.
    Well at 18 mos. we couldn't stand it any longer.
    We all went, including his parents. We went off
    season, so it wasn't hot and crowded. We took lots
    of video. Now, my grandson is an often APer and
    goes regularly with us. Yep, he doesn't remember
    the trip when he was 18 mos. But he always has
    fun watching the video of him at that trip. He reactions
    to the characters are priceless. It was a great trip.

My older son first went when he was almost 2. He loved being in a stroller outside, looking around but he didn't like most of the rides, especially dark rides. During that trip, the only rides he really liked were IASW and the Log Ride at Knotts. We didn't know it at the time, but he does have some sensory issues. Contrast that with my 2nd son, who went to DL at 11 months and loved everything. It is just really hard to tell which kids will like it. We really enjoyed taking my older son (the one with sensory issues) even during the time he didn't want to ride too much. We all rode what he enjoyed and my hubby and I would take turns going on the E Tickets while the other parent sat with our son, who was totally in love with being at Disneyland and looking around.

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by Johnsmom; 08-25-2005 at 09:31 AM.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland!

• insufferable know-it-all

I think it's worth remembering that if the child is having plenty of fun sitting in the stroller looking at everything, then it shouldn't be a problem that they aren't ready for dark rides.

Even with the smallest child, you can go on the Main Street vehicles (kids LOVE the double decker bus and the trolley), the Mark Twain, the Columbia, IASW, the DLRR...

It's not as if they can't go on *anything*

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• UnExiled Minion

To those who do not approve, including OP: What is the issue? What are your expectations of the day? Is it supposed to be the most perfect magical day ever? If so, how can the next visit compare?

I suggest "Zero Expectations." There's little chance that you'll end the day unsatisfied.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Junior-Grade Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I think it's worth remembering that if the child is having plenty of fun sitting in the stroller looking at everything, then it shouldn't be a problem that they aren't ready for dark rides.

Even with the smallest child, you can go on the Main Street vehicles (kids LOVE the double decker bus and the trolley), the Mark Twain, the Columbia, IASW, the DLRR...

It's not as if they can't go on *anything*
    Yeah, it's all about the kid. Generalizations with children and their ages (and all people in general) are for fools; everybody is different. Hopefully parents and guardians will take a good look at their child before making the decision.

My son will be two in September and he has been going to the park his whole life. He even goes on a lot of the dark rides because we talk with him and know he can handle it. His favorite thing to say this week has been "NO WINDOWS, NO DOORS!" He loves the tikis playing drums in the Tiki Room, ASIMO the robot, and the dinosaur diarama. Disneyland provides plenty of lifelong learning opportunities and things to talk about for him.

• Former CM

I've taken my little one since he was about 5 months old. There was so much for him to see and you could see on his face how much he loved it. He's now just over 2 and can tell me when he wants to go. He tells me about the fieworks, trains, train tracks, cars and the melmo (monorail) all the time. Will he remember the trips when he's older? I doubt it, but he does have lots of fun going there now. I've taken him on every attraction that he can go on and he hasn't had a problem with any of them. He even likes PotC and doesn't get scared there or in HM.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

We just took our daughter for her FIRST birthday. Her birthday was May 4th. She had a BLAST. she will not be able to remember it other than the video we took, but it was great time for us all!

Another benifit for the family, is that it is a very freindly enviroment for the entire family, and she goes at No Charge! We did 3 days May 3-5, at Disneyland and her birthday breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, and she was free!

I see no problem with it. The Kids LOVE to look at the characters, the colors, the lights, and the people! Even the fireworks didnt scare her, but she seemed amazed by all of it! Plus she was THRILLED to meet Mickey and Minnie! (along with several other charaters whom she called "Doggie"!)

We enjoyed several rides with her at both Disneyland and DCA. She enjoyed much of Fantasyland, the Mark Twain, the Monorail, IASW, Pooh, toontown trolly, Little Patch of Heaven petting zoo, AND even the Haunted Mansion!
    At DCA she enjoyed most all of a Bugs land and was facinated with much of the Animation building. We also took her on the Sunwheel, (The NON-Swinging cars,) and she loved that too! She even danced to the music of the parades!

We ALL had such a great time!
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 08-25-2005 at 09:57 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I dont see a problem with your god daughter going to DL now. It would be adorable to get her picture taken with minnie and the disney princesses if you can. I had a cousin who took their baby to disneyland, like, a few months old, and I think that was just crazy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast