Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: My worst fear as a godmother...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Star
    dsnylndmom - That's awesome about your son! You must have been so proud! How old is he now?
    Thanks He's 6 now, he'll be 7 in Novemeber and just started first grade. We're hoping his new ST is just as wonderful as the last two, they meant the world to us!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

I love AlohaStitch's posts on this matter. I am a licensed special ed teacher and my sister is an occupational therapist, specializing in sensory disorders. She says she's constantly telling people to take their sensory disordered kids OUT for stimulation. To the park, the zoo, the mall, a small theme park, Chuck E Cheese. Just to get them experienced with things like background music, large groups, standing in line.

If the child in question has a severe sensory disorder, I'd make sure she can handle some simpler day trips before Disneyland. But dang, I can't imagine a better way for a child to explore her boundaries than Disneyland! I'm sure the parents know her limits.

My seven year old had/has a lot of communication/social/sensory issues and is very Aspergers-y. She went to Disneyland for the first time at 22 months. She hadn't said a word before that trip, but I have to tell you, afterward she was a different kiddo. Her sensory/communication/social issues didn't disappear, but she was talking. She was so excited to communicate the entire time we were there and when we got home, she carried a photo album around until it was ragged and I had to replace it. She talked constantly about the trip. It was so exciting.

The same thing happened with my cousin (who is now 18) when he was a toddler. He has Tourette's and severe ADHD and Disneyland was almost calming to him, kinda like Ritalin. It was just the right amount of stimulation for him. He was still out of control, but a LOT less than when he was at a quiet park or at the zoo.

On the flipside:

My youngest daughter has a friend who was adopted from China, and who is currently four. She doesn't handle long car trips, has to be completely knocked out with medication to fly, and has problems separating from her mother to attend preschool for 2.5 hours a day. She's got major food issues and is sensitive to noises and certain personalities. If a loud dad gets near her, she goes bonkers--she's absolutely terrified. I genuinely can NOT imagine her at Disneyland. And I've never said that about any kid before, even the kids who were in my classroom with severe disabilities.

It's all about knowing your child. But kids can also surprise you when you least expect it.

• GO DBACKS!!

I always fear that I will re-materialize in the wrong location, like in a cow pie or something.

.........oh wait..........did the question say godmother or fairy godmother?

My bad

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Traveler to the south

I first went at three and look at me now...o.k., maybe not a good example but it will be a good experience for her folks and I'm certain a portion will stay with her forvever!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• Traveler to the south

Quote Originally Posted by HUH?
    Hw dare anyone take their kids to DLR! Kids don't belong there at all! Only adults should go there! Teenagers should only be allowed in special cases, and strollers should be banned!
    ROFL!!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    I am a licensed special ed teacher and my sister is an occupational therapist,

My seven year old had/has a lot of communication/social/sensory issues and is very Aspergers-y. She went to Disneyland for the first time at 22 months. She hadn't said a word before that trip, but I have to tell you, afterward she was a different kiddo. Her sensory/communication/social issues didn't disappear, but she was talking. She was so excited to communicate the entire time we were there and when we got home, she carried a photo album around until it was ragged and I had to replace it. She talked constantly about the trip. It was so exciting.

The same thing happened with my cousin (who is now 18) when he was a toddler. He has Tourette's and severe ADHD and Disneyland was almost calming to him, kinda like Ritalin. It was just the right amount of stimulation for him. He was still out of control, but a LOT less than when he was at a quiet park or at the zoo.

It's all about knowing your child. But kids can also surprise you when you least expect it.
    Another Special Ed Teacher!! So how are you surviving your first days back? That is awsome about how well your kids did. Right On! As for the Park calming your severe ADHD cousin...I didn't think about it until I read this..but yes, it does have a calming effect. I'm severe ADHD too, and I find that the Park is actually a "safe place" for me at times. I actually tell friends and family that I need to go to the park before I "nut up." Never thought about it until now..but yes, it is almost like an external Ritalin for me.

Actually, I'm needing to go to the park right now, back at school, and accidentlly off of the ADHD diet for a few days. Therefore my Vice-Principal (whom I adore) was threatening to hold me down and pour black coffee down my throat all day long! ROFL!!! (Caffine has an opposite affect on us ADHD'rs..it calms us down and almost puts us to sleep...) I was told that I was in my "Stitch Mode", as she calls it.. I love my school...really really do!

But thanks, you just opened up my eyes to another benefit of the park..Wow! Now at our next Parents meeting, gonna round up some of my parents and compare notes on the calming effect.. Hmmm might be a Master's Thesis in this.. ohhhhh

• Playtester

I have a 2 year old and a 4.5 year old. The first time I took them to the park, my 2 year old was about 1 and a half, and it was in the pouring rain. I think Disneyland is a great place for little kids. Granted, my two year old hates standing in lines, but we play, sing songs and look and name everything. Even just watching the ducks and feeding them is a blast for him. They are usually in awe of all the rides, and as long as mom/dad/caretaker/whoever takes it at the child pace, and brings lots of snacks and water and a nice place to nap (stroller), its a great place to be for an afternoon.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• Disney worshipper/geek

Ok, maybe I need to clarify a few things.

I used the phrase "worst fear" as a hyperbole. If it had been something serious, it would not have gone in a Disney thread. It was something I was unhappy about as this child's godmother, as well as a Disney fan. I should not have said anything.

I realize for a lot of people its okay to take chikldren when they are quite young, but I just don't agree with it. You still have to change diapers and carry so much more stuff, and as my mother put it, "changing diapers and baby food is not representative of the happiest place on earth." If you are okay with that, then fine.

For those of you who have said, "I took my kid when they were ___, and they had a blast just looking at this and that", that's just not good enough. I realize that she will not be old enough to appreciate it enough on a level of understanding, but at the very least, I would like her to know the stories, that's the basic point. Someone here said that a child this age should just be taken to the park or something like that, and I agree. She needs to understand where she is on a basic level. The best thing about my first time, in my mother's eyes, was me understanding where I was, getting excited about the Disneyland sign (even though it's not there anymore, she can still know where she is be a bascic sign), and knowing all these characters, not just two or three, and my realization that I can actually become part of the movies I loved so much and watched over and over. My goddaughter is not going to get that realization. That is my problem. Fun is fun, but I'd like her to be able to appreciate it, especially on that level if wonder instead of just fun she could be having any other old place.

To AlohaStitch, first of all, mainly her "sensory overload" issue is due to a lot of people. After she first came home, she didn't like too many people around. There was too much energy and whether she had had a nap or not, she tended to get very cranky, and I don't want her first day at Disneyland to end up that way. In terms of her adoption, she was taken from the institution (what the adoption agency called the orphanage) and brought home at 10 months old. As far as we know there were no neglect/abuse issues and she's very attached to her parents. I agree of the feelings Disneyland can be connected with, but that can happen just as well at the age of 3 or 4.

to h_lehmann, her previous circumstances I refer to are the fact that she has only been in the care of our family for a little over a year, not to take anything away from the Chinese culture and I'm not sure how you got that out of it. I chose not to explain in detail the story of her adoption becaue I felt it went off the subject. Also, godmother in my family is not an "honorary title". We are Catholic and (in case anyone doesn't know this, I didn't for a long time and I am Catholic) a godparent's role is to help guide the child through their life, spiritually and otherwise. Besides religion, this is the only other thing I had really any opinion about. See her all the time and I know how she is being raised. I would thank you not to think that because "godmother" means "honorary" to you, that my family treats it that way. It all depends on what you take to it and how important it is to you. I am not going to argue on the school that put her in when she is older and I'm not protesting taking her to the park directly to my uncle, so I felt this was the place to vent a little frustration. My aunt doesn't want to take her, my grandmother and mother think she is too young as well. These are all people concerned directly with this child, and it seems it is 4 to 1. You tell me if she should go at the age of 2?
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• no flash photography...

changing diapers on a teo year old??? my child was potty trained riht after she turned a year old. We did take her to DL when she was 2 for her first trip. However i didn't go alone. I was a single mother by then and took my parents. We were all able to ahve fun and enjoy the park. On my childs first trip she screamed and cried before every ride and yes we made her go on them anyway. After the ride was over she was all smilies and wanted to go again. Granted she does not remember much of those trips, but I have amny pictures of ehr smiling and having fun. She's 14 now and although she finds DL boring unless she has frineds with her she still goes and has fun. DL was more enjoyable for me as she got older though..

• My cuties!

my child was potty trained riht after she turned a year old
    This is not normal but very nice for you!!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    This is not normal but very nice for you!!

why is it not normal? My sister and I were both potty trained before we turned two.

• something else...

i already posted this but i'm pretty sure that this is me at some time around age two or less

and of course all kids are different, but since you didn't say she had too many outstanding conditions except being adopted (which i was, though not from China...obviously...)i'm pretty sure she'll really enjoy it. and i highly doubt that she cares if she knows the stories or not. for you it might be nice to know when you go. but when she goes she's just going to see a princess and be excited because it's a princess, not becuase it's aurora wearing pink.
    Last edited by FloggingMorgy; 08-28-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

• Disney worshipper/geek

But that takes out the magic of Disneyland, these unforgettable characters. There are other places we could take her then with nice little vague characters for her to enjoy, I'm sure.

To SCUBAbe, I was potty trained at around the same time as well. At the moment, and at the time she will be going to the park, she will still be in diapers. The concept of potty training her is coming up shortly after her birthday next week.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986
    For those of you who have said, "I took my kid when they were ___, and they had a blast just looking at this and that", that's just not good enough.
    Um, good enough for who? For you?

I realize that she will not be old enough to appreciate it enough on a level of understanding, but at the very least, I would like her to know the stories, that's the basic point.
    Wow. So what if she doesn't know the stories?? She's a toddler. She should have to sit and watch movies before she can go to Disneyland and enjoy it?

Someone here said that a child this age should just be taken to the park or something like that, and I agree. She needs to understand where she is on a basic level.
    You think she'll understand being at a park MORE than Disneyland?? I don't think so. My kids go parks all the time and they don't know one from the other, but dang if they don't know Disneyland. Especially at the age of two.

The best thing about my first time, in my mother's eyes, was me understanding where I was, getting excited about the Disneyland sign (even though it's not there anymore, she can still know where she is be a bascic sign), and knowing all these characters, not just two or three, and my realization that I can actually become part of the movies I loved so much and watched over and over. My goddaughter is not going to get that realization. That is my problem. Fun is fun, but I'd like her to be able to appreciate it, especially on that level if wonder instead of just fun she could be having any other old place.
    It's her first time....on her second time or her third time, she might get excited about the Disneyland sign. When she comes home and she sees pics of her trip, she'll get excited. When she comes home and watches video tapes of herself at Disneyland, she'll get excited. When she sees pics of characters, she'll get excited. I know my kids did!

But for the time that she's there....she'll BE excited. She'll have fun. She'll experience things that a lot of two year olds don't get to, because there are so many parents who believe what you do: that kids can't appreciate the Disneyland experience. Ack. I'm sorry you feel that way, but for the rest of us who have young kids, who have taken young kids who loved it, who experienced it as young kids, we might disagree with you.

And my kids were not potty trained before their first trips. All three of them were in diapers when we first took them. Two of them were fully potty trained between 2.5 and three, the third decided never to wear diapers again just after her third birthday. I don't know what diapers or potty training have to do with enjoying Disneyland anyway.

• Minion

I took my daughter at 19 mos and she is 21 now and still remembers a lot about that trip. she was potty trained and handled everything very well. I made sure to always take her off season until she was over the age of 5, as the crowds are smaller and the days are shorter in the park.
    Some children of course can't handle disneyland...even if they are older, but some like it even at a very young age!
    One of my favorite memories of taking my daughter when she was about 3, was the time she met John Lithgow. She had seen Harry and the Hendersons a few monts before and when she saw John Lithgow and his family in line for one of the fantasyland rides she YELLED "Mom there is Harrys' Dad!!!"...I of course had no idea whatsoever who she was talking about...but when she yelled it again I covered her mouth lightly and asked her not to scream. I picked her up and she pointed at John Lithgow...proceeded to tell me he was with the wrong family...and that she wanted to know where Harry was..
    After the ride, John Lithgow was sitting in an area with a lot of follage, kind of hanging out and eating a hot dog...
    My daughter spotted him..his family wasn't around and she walked up to him and asked him:
    1) Where's Harry
    2) How come you're not with your family!! Your real family??
    Well he answered her questions, so sweetly I might add, then said..."Shhh don't tell my family I am eating a hot dog...I'm not supposed to have these..."
    So me in my lack of wisdom let her have another word...."Well then why are you eating a hot dog if you're not supposed to??"
    Was my face red? Of course...but then he asked her if she wanted his autograph...and she said "No thanks...why would I want that?"
    Oh my gosh I hightailed it away quickly after that one!!! Poor guy...but he was laughing and was so sweet about it all...what a great guy!!
    So sorry to derail, but even young children can have a good time at disneyland!! And if the parents don't get to go on Space Mountain or Splash Mountain, or ToT..there is always the next time!!!! Kids grow up so fast!!!
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast