Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sun Wheel

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    That's me, Barbaraann, and I love the Sun Wheel.

I try, and make it a pont to ride this ride on each of my visits to the Disneyland Resort. I don't get to California, too often so that might just be once, every year, but I do love this ride.

I am not brave enough to ride the swinging cars, so I am sure glad that they designed this ride, so that you have the option, of not swinging around. I think that's quite a smart choice. It makes it possible for a chicken like me, to sit back, and enjoy the view.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-18-2008 at 05:20 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    So sit back, and I will show you some of the many photos that I have taken of my favorite ride at DCA.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-18-2008 at 05:29 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Sun Wheel

Daytime, or Nighttime, it's fun to ride.

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now I understand that they are changing the Sun Wheel to Mickey's Fun Wheel. I am glad that this great Ferris Wheel, type ride will still be at DCA.

I thought it might be fun to chat about what you like, and/or don't like about the ride.

ALso I would love to see everyone's photos. I have some that I have taken from the ground, and more that I took inside the stationary car. It's a great view up there.

Let's chat about the Sun Wheel.
    Pop Century Resort

Hi. Ive only ridden the Sun Wheel once, and it was fairly recently ( maybe 2 months ago?) I rode with my best friend on the swinging gondolas, and it made me a little carsick/ motionsick. But the views from up there are amazing!

What's to like: awesome views, great photo-ops. It can be somewhat difficult to take pictures around the mesh, especially with point-n-shoot lenses because of their depth-of-field.

But the line for swinging is always obscene. Only been once so far, on non-swinging to take pictures. These can be found in my 3-30-08 TR.

Is it just me, or is anyone else afraid Mickey's mugshot up on there will look absurd? This isn't the same as the relatively-more-elegant mouse-ears presently on Cali Screamin.

• MC's Graveyard Crew

You're a braver person then I am. (I can admit it without much shame!)

The funny thing is I've been on several roller coasters over 300 feet tall, yet I can't bring myself to get on the Sun Wheel to this very day. (I'm a coaster/park enthusiast who hates heights! Go figure right?) So while most of my friend's take a spin on our yearly visit, I like to spend my time to taking photos of the surrounding area while munching on fresh b'day tortillas.

Here is a shot from last December:

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Cheers,

-Sean
    Last edited by Sean Menefee; 07-18-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Not only do I love to ride this ride, I can't stop looking at it.

We usually stay at the Hilton and get a room with a view of the parks. It's great to watch the fireworks with all the park lights in the background.

If I am not careful, I find myself up half the night just staring at the pattern of lights made by the sun wheel. It's actually quite fascinating to watch the high tech light patterns. I have to talk myself into going to sleep. If I don't close the curtains I will wake up in the middle of the night and find myself staring at the beautiful orange light patterns spinning around the wheel, bursting from the center and racing around and around and around.

I can't wait to see how they are going to upgrade the lights!!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I will not step foot on the Sun Wheel, and I have no intentions to ever do so. I had a panic attack on Deno's Wonder Wheel (the famous ferris wheel at Coney Island that the Sun Wheel is modeled after) and have not been near a ferris wheel since. Chicken? Maybe, but I'm okay with that.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Everyone should know, and respect their own limits. There are rides that I won't ride. The roller coasters are a good example. However, one morning, while I was at DCA, I had fun watching the people blasting off on California Screamin, and also getting some great shots of the Sun Wheel in the background. There's no way, I'm going upside down on a roller coaster.
    Pop Century Resort

• Cake Anyone?

I had a friend and her husband come to Disneyland for a visit a few years ago. She said we could go on the ride becuase she didn't think it would effect her motion sickness. Well she was wrong, she ended up having a full blown panic attack on the ride and ended up sitting on the floor screaming at her husband......not a fun ride...
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I absolutely love the Sun Wheel (swinging gondolas, of course ).

Thanks for sharing those great shots, Barbaraann! Here's a couple I've taken:

And one I took from the Sun Wheel

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

To those of you like myself who are afraid of heights I offer this bit of advice: Never ride it with Aashee.

One time we were stopped at the top and of course I did the dumb thing and let him know that I hate being stuck up there so high up. And what does he do? There was a soft noise that kind of sounded like a pop and he said, "I think I just saw a bolt break off.". And to add insult to injury, he stands up and starts jumping up and down!

I must say, there are lots of thrill rides at the DLR but the Sun Wheel has got to be one of the scariest!

• Senior Minion

The Sun Wheel is never on my list of must ride attractions, but I've ridden it a few times - on both swinging and non swinging. I dislike the non swinging and had a slight panic attack, but was able to get myself under control. Then, being as it was my boyfriend's birthday he wanted to ride the sun wheel (swinging gondolas) and I was hesitant but obliged - by the end of the ride I was very close to losing my lunch.

Even after all that, if someone I'm with wants to ride it ... I'd be up for it.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries
    Like Barbara and a few others, I will only go on a non-swinging gondola. The views from the top are spectacular, but for some reason.... most all of the pictures I have of it are from the ground... at night.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast