Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: What Show Would YOU Like To See In The Hyperion?

I think some of you need to think about how something can actually be applied to stage, especially in terms of a musical. There are physical boundaries and time restraints (and the patience and amusements of the audience) you have to take into account.

A Cars musical? Oye vey. How do you suggest they do that with live performers? And on a stage? With racing? It works for film, but you can't do the same sort of things on stage.

A Toy Story musical has already been done, created for the Disney Cruise Line. I haven't seen it myself, but I believe Kevin Yee did a review on it not too long ago. He didn't like it all that much. Granted, "You've Got A Friend In Me" is not the best starting point.

You can't do the Muppets without the real voices, IMO. Or get exceptionally good impersonators.

If you're going to do a musical based off of a Disney film, I'd suggest looking at films that are musical-based. Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin certainly are. The music composed for those films were written by people that actually write Broadway musicals, so they know what they're doing.

Now, as noted, Peter Pan originated as a play. Many versions have been created, including musicals. I think this would be an excellent idea, and would prove to be very popular. The biggest problem I see would be the fact that you have children that are the main characters. You'll also have to break it to the audience that they won't get to see a human performing as Tinkerbell, since in the plays, she's just a ball of light.

Little Mermaid can't really be done because it's on Broadway, and the same goes for Mary Poppins and The Lion King. If anything else, Disney does not want to compete with itself.

Mulan could be quite beautiful as a musical...it could be incredibly artistic, reminiscent of how creative The Lion King is. Asian theatre is very rich in diversity and beauty - the more complicated scenes in the film could be solved (though you can't have real fireworks on stage), similarly to how The Lion King solved many of it's own problems visually.

Sword in the Stone would have a ridiculous amount of physical limitations...not sure that could be done.

Hercules would probably translate well. The only issues I can think of off the top of my head are Phil and Pegasus (in terms of physicality).

I think DLR has enough Nemo...and why can't the parks have their own, unique offerings? Not everything should be replicated all over the place.

Princess films tend to do very well with the public, so that's another thing. Cinderella could potentially do very well. That's been made into a musical, too after all. Not just by R&H, but Disney made something similar to Cinderella 3 (I think) for the Disney Cruise Line, too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Little Mermaid can't really be done because it's on Broadway, and the same goes for Mary Poppins and The Lion King. If anything else, Disney does not want to compete with itself.
    Not true. Disney had Beauty & the Beast playing at MGM (and even Disneyland for a while) while it was on Broadway.

Princess films tend to do very well with the public, so that's another thing. Cinderella could potentially do very well. That's been made into a musical, too after all. Not just by R&H, but Disney made something similar to Cinderella 3 (I think) for the Disney Cruise Line, too.
    Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty & the Beast, or the Little Mermaid would all be good for DCA. They just had a Snow White one a few years ago though at the Fantasyland Theater, so that would be a bit repetitive.

•   
    • I <3 o

Bring back Animazement
    although Drawn to the magic is kinda a rip off of it.
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Not true. Disney had Beauty & the Beast playing at MGM (and even Disneyland for a while) while it was on Broadway.
    But not for very long. The Beauty and the Beast shows opened when the film was released in theaters (at least from the information I've found online - I only remember the one at Disneyland)...very shortly after everyone realized how awesome it was, Disney went ahead to make the Broadway production. It wasn't like they canceled the shows on the spot, but the idea was for the shows to evolve to be bigger, better things.

• Banned User

But not for very long. The Beauty and the Beast shows opened when the film was released in theaters (at least from the information I've found online - I only remember the one at Disneyland)...very shortly after everyone realized how awesome it was, Disney went ahead to make the Broadway production. It wasn't like they canceled the shows on the spot, but the idea was for the shows to evolve to be bigger, better things.
    I don't get cha.

• Banned User

Well, I have never seen BLAST. I have heard the music, and like the music. Mary Poppins would be good. I'm not too sure of Toy Story though. I think Tarzan, or Cinderella would be cool. I never did like the Snow White musical when it was at DL. I agree with everyone saying that Nemo would be "too much". I really wouldn't think it would be wise for disney to "cut and paste" another attraction from WDW to DLR (i.e. Beauty and the beast, Little Mermaid) Tarzan would be my vote.

• First Time Disneylander

You can't do the Muppets without the real voices, IMO. Or get exceptionally good impersonators.
    I think that a Muppets show is still very feasible using a mix of live actors, puppets, and animatronics. One was originally planned for MGM studios I believe.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    I think that a Muppets show is still very feasible using a mix of live actors, puppets, and animatronics. One was originally planned for MGM studios I believe.
    It was there for a few years, Here Come the Muppets. It was where Voyage of the Little Mermaid is now.

It had a source audio track for all the characters (pre-recorded basically).

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/image...themuppets.jpg
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-20-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: hotlink removed

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    It was there for a few years, Here Come the Muppets. It was where Voyage of the Little Mermaid is now.

It had a source audio track for all the characters (pre-recorded basically).
    Cool, I never knew it actually made it into the park. Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The Little Mermaid is currently on Broadway, and is still playing in DHS. Despite rumors that point otherwise, since there is no Disney confirmation, we can consider that something can play both Broadway and the theme parks.

As to the Nemo Musical being awful.... perhaps he has never seen the Festival of the Lion King. Now THAT is a show that I have never seen anyone's fascination with. But, I always thought the Lion King in general was vastly overrated.

I wish Blast would come back, mainly so I could see it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I think that Lion King is GREAT! i didn't like Nemo too much.

But I don't think either is the right setting for the Hyperion.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    As to the Nemo Musical being awful.... perhaps he has never seen the Festival of the Lion King. Now THAT is a show that I have never seen anyone's fascination with. But, I always thought the Lion King in general was vastly overrated.
    I did actually see Festival of the Lion King right after Nemo for the first time last July. I liked Lion King more than Nemo.

• Confused One

What if disney rotates the shows that are in NY like one month nemo, Next month Lion King and just go though all of them. I think that would be really neat.

I think, to most people who go to the parks (meaning not us Disney freaks), they find the shows absolutley incredible. The people who get to go to the parks weekly often miss how great some of these shows are. I've been to WDW with my marching band and chorus, and everyone found these shows to be absolutely incredible. These are people who have seen a multitude of Broadway shows and famous performers. Disney's shows are truly spectacular to those people who allow themselves to believe so.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    *sarcasm* A stage version of Light Magic.
    die.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast