Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Imaginative Possibilities

Question Attraction Storylines

So im really interested in finding out the storylines for all the attractions in the resort. In case you didnt know, every attraction (that includes restaurants and shopping areas) have a story! So im gathering them all for my personal reference and it would be great if you knew some that I ddnt know. Currently I know these stories:

Tower of Terror
    Fliks Fun Fair
    Soarin over California
    Grizzly river Run
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Redd Rockets Pizza Port
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Toy Story Midway Mania
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Defying gravity

Re: Attraction Storylines

Then, which attractions do you NOT know?

haha well the ones that arent listed...

• Senior Minion

I don't know if I believe that every attraction really has a story, and many are convoluted stories, clearly contrived to justify the attraction. Anyway, a few you missed are pretty obvious what the story is.

Star Tours
    All FL dark rides
    Dumbo
    Splash
    Monsters
    Nemo
    IASW
    All 3D film based attractions

Some, though, I have no clue.

well perhaps i didnt make my request clear... my bad... im looking for the stories themselves, not if they have one or not. like the one to jungle, Tom Sawyers island, sailing ship columbia, matterhorn bobsleds, they all have a story. And they aren't necessarily spoon fed to us as in Nemo, the classics, or Monsters inc...

• Senior Minion

That was my point, serveral of the attractions you speak of do not have stories as far as I know. If they have a story at all, it was one used only internally to help WDI develop the ride conceptually, but never made public. This goes back to the old story vs. experience debate and I would argue that WFJC and Matterhorn were designed as experience attractions. Both are losely based on movies, African Queen and Last Man on the Mountain respectively, but loosely, and that's it. The storys are pretty much take a jungle boat safari and ride a bobsled down the Matterhorn.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The line of "everything has a story" is a more recent development. There is no story for the Haunted Mansion, no matter what some Cast Members, websites, podcasts etc. will have you believe. There was no story for Pirates of the Caribbean. This goes for several of the older attractions.

• Banned User

Can you share Redd Rockett's story? I've never heard of it even having one!

• I'm not really here

Sometimes the "story" of an attraction isn't a "story" with a "plot" but a history. For instance, Jungle Cruise is a depot for boats travelling up and down the rivers. Listening to the radio messages in the queue builds this story as you hear weather reports and requests coming from outposts along the river for shipments of supplies as well as warnings to be on the lookout for the expedition that was lost somewhere along the river. There is even a radio request for a boat to pick up cargo at the Temple of the Forbidden Eye dig site.

The backstory for Toon Town (taken from Walt Disney Imagineering) is that Walt was looking for a spot for Disneyland and couldn't find one until Mickey suggested he look at the plot of land behind Toon Town. Walt loved it and they built Disneyland there. It wasn't until years later that Mickey and the gang decided to let people in to Toon Town that Disney dug the tunnel under the train tracks to allow people to visit their homes.

Thunder Mt. has several back stories (I think I've heard 2 or 3 different stories). Haunted Mansion has a very tenuous story involving a woman who beheads her grooms/husbands on top of the history of Gracie Manor.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion FOREVER!

This depends on what you mean by a "story"...

If you mean something (like a book), then there are definitely several rides that do not have them.

If you mean something like a story board of what people see/experience, then my understanding is that most Imagineered ride has one. ... ok... maybe not the "old" Paradise Pier ones.... (I don't really considered them as being Imagineered anyway! :-)

------
    Mycroft beat me to it!

Commander Redd Rocket was a space merchant who spent much time along with his crew traveling the galaxy on business. Because of this, the crew spent their meals eating prepackaged space meals that werent tasty at all, out of desperation for something good to eat they gathered the ingredients they had on their ship and discovered they had what was needed to make a pizza. So they made pizzas, the best ones at that. Eventually word got around to all the other travelling space merchants of Commander Red Rocketts Pizza and soon orders came pouring in. Seeing the success of making pizza, Commander Redd Rockett and his crew decided the pizza business was more profitable and more tasty. They eventually started making more and more restuarant locations, 286 to be exact. The only one on earth can be found in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. That is the OFFICIAL story.... thats what im lookin for...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The line of "everything has a story" is a more recent development. There is no story for the Haunted Mansion, no matter what some Cast Members, websites, podcasts etc. will have you believe. There was no story for Pirates of the Caribbean. This goes for several of the older attractions.
    Rides like POTC and HM have a backstory but they are not literal stories with a distinct beginning middle and end. As Marc Davis said we don't tell literal stories we give people experiences. When Disney becomes too obsessed with backstories for everything you have awkward backstories like the afermentioned Redd Rockets story, the Don Tomas ODV acoss from Midway Mania, Starlight Rays Cosmic Cafe' at Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom ,Pleasure Island and the most horrible example Chester and Hesters' Dino-Rama at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Last edited by HMF; 07-23-2008 at 03:05 AM.

• Closed Account

I believe what IMAGINE means to say is that there is sort of a "basis" for every attraction.

In most of the steam trains SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure manuals) I have, going back to the 1960s, there is an introduction called "The Story Behind the Story." In other words, the reason there are trains at Disneyland, and what they represent. The trains "story behind the story" discusses Walt Disney's love of trains, Disney movies dealing with trains (like the Great Locomotive Chase), etc. The earlier ones also talk about the "show scenes" along the line, as if each segment were an act in a movie.

Now, time for a gratuitous plug: Since the Columbia was mentioned, you will be able to read the story of the ship in a multi-part article that should be running on MiceAge in a few weeks...

• 'splosions

what about Indy?! that one is PURE storyline!

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Currently I know these stories:

Tower of Terror
    Fliks Fun Fair
    Soarin over California
    Grizzly river Run
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Redd Rockets Pizza Port
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Toy Story Midway Mania

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Commander Redd Rocket was a space merchant who spent much time along with his crew traveling the galaxy on business. Because of this, the crew spent their meals eating prepackaged space meals that werent tasty at all, out of desperation for something good to eat they gathered the ingredients they had on their ship and discovered they had what was needed to make a pizza. So they made pizzas, the best ones at that. Eventually word got around to all the other travelling space merchants of Commander Red Rocketts Pizza and soon orders came pouring in. Seeing the success of making pizza, Commander Redd Rockett and his crew decided the pizza business was more profitable and more tasty. They eventually started making more and more restuarant locations, 286 to be exact. The only one on earth can be found in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. That is the OFFICIAL story.... thats what im lookin for...
    Does the new Disney management think that applying a story to everything somehow turns it into a classic Disney experience? Walt didn't apply some idiotic story to the French Market. With the way DL is run today, I wouldn't be surprised if the bathrooms had a back story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast