• Minion

The mouse and the secrets he keeps...

Hey Micechatters!

I was thinking about how secretive Disney is in terms of information on plans to build and or replace rides. I'm sure we all understand how annoying Disney can be at times when it comes to releasing information. But my question is this: does Disney's overly protective and secret behavior hinder or generate useful hype for the park?

-Sir Mouse

• Senior Minion

Re: The mouse and the screts he keeps...

Interesting question and good thread topic. I'm not sure I have a definitive opinion. I've gotta go, but I'll think about it and post later.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• In my own neverland

I think specifically when thinking about how many fans Disney has that watch its every move, I think keeping things a secret definitely generates a lot of hype. However, sometimes fans disagree with what Disney does and stuff may have a tendency to backfire.

Most of their plans tend to leak onto the boards one way or another, so when Disney finally announces something its generally not that big of a deal to me. Whats most interesting to hear about is how their plans change so much (as Al often writes about in his columns).

I think the reason why they like to keep things under wraps is because their plans change so much.

Because Wonderful World of Color is known about years before it's debut, it's become the subject of armchair Imagineering and so much hype that the show is guaranteed to disappoint some people no matter how incredible it may be.

I really think Disney would prefer to operate in a world where they don't have to worry about their plans becoming widely known well in advance of the debut of the new attraction.

• Addicted to MC since '08

I agree with Sleepless Knight that when something such as World of Color is known about long before it's debut, it probably won't live up to everybody's expectaions. People will get so hyped about the show that when they see it, they will be disappointed, similar to some people's reactions to TSMM. I would imagine that would be another reason Disney wouldn't want the plans leaked to the internet.

I think what we end up with is hype so unreal that some are expecting a life changing experience when what we're really talking about is a theme park attraction here.

I'm not saying that a theme park attraction can't be very moving, even to the point of tears, but I am saying that we can hype something so much in our minds that nothing, including the resurrection of Walt himself to personally design the new attraction, can make it live up to the hype that we've created in our minds.

• Minion

in the case of World of Color, the general public is unaware of it's proposed existence. Think of attractions mysteriously shuttered with out formal word until days before hand. How do you guys think the common consumer reacts, and how does it effect Disney.

• Senior Minion

I think it's probably smart for them to keep the plans as secret as possible. I don't like it as a fan and wish they released more info, but I understand why they do it. Look what happened with WESTCOT, many of the well known Disney critics and fans continuously, till this day, whine about us not getting WESTCOT. If anything that experience can only make them want to be more and more secretive about upcoming projects.

In terms of closing attractions, I don't think it's a big concern for Disney business wise. Closing too many, as they have is not good, but individually most of the attractions they've closed really were not that big of a loss, I think only a few people really miss them in the big picture, and very few of them would stop coming because of it. If they closed a classic that remains popular, that might hurt business.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    in the case of World of Color, the general public is unaware of it's proposed existence. Think of attractions mysteriously shuttered with out formal word until days before hand. How do you guys think the common consumer reacts, and how does it effect Disney.
    It all depends on how truly popular and beloved those attractions are. If they were to suddenly close POTC forever, there would be a huge negative backlash. But the Country Bears are another matter. While we can debate whether or not the replacement is better, I don't think Disney would have shuttered the attraction permanently if it was hugely popular with the general public. I just don't think the turnstiles reflected a deep and abiding love from the public for the Country Bear Jamboree(for example).

• Defying gravity

Re: The mouse and the secrets he keeps...

First of all, thanks to the internet, I don't think that Disney has too many "secrets." I don't know if these secrets do more one way or another to harm the company. On one hand, because we know so much about attractions before they even open, many of us are guilty of condeming attractions far too early in the game. There is something to be said about the element of surprise. On the other hand, internet chatter definately creates positive hype about the park and boosts the anticipation factor.

It's very much a two edged sword. That's a major reason why I remain skeptical of all internet rumors until Disney confirms them. Then I get really excited. I've been disappointed enough times by cool sounding rumors that never came to be.

• Minion

I understand why Disney is so protective, but when a ride closes without a definite replacement that creates a distrust in the consumer. I'm not sure if their is a graceful way to retire an attraction before the media and public but so far Disney has gained a reputation that hinges on ruthlessness.

btw:my thread made it in the round up!