Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 159
  1. #1

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Post The Problem with Disneyland Today

    When I go to Disneyland, I see it as Walt's Disneyland. Not Pressler's Disneyland, Grier's Disneyland, or Quimet's Disneyland.

    That's what I see as the problem with Disneyland today, that there is no respect for Walt's Disneyland.

    Sure, it's painted and everything is clear, but there is a theme going on that says, "If the public won't notice that the detail is missing, then who cares!"

    The exec's seem to loose mind that the main draw for Disneyland is because it is Walt Disney's Disneyland.

    AND THEY DON'T KNOW IT!

    They think that the only reason guests come, are for their big marketing campaigns that in reality do nothing. They also think that the only thing that appeals to people these days are Disney characters. They have gotten Ed Grier to think that as well.

    It is no longer Walt's Disneyland, because Walt's Disneyland has been hidden behind a false front of mindless campaigns, disney characters everywhere, and "new" technology.

    When will they learn that people come for Walt's Disneyland, the little details and traditions that no other theme park company in the world upholds.

    Even with the little things happening today like a fake christmas tree or outsourcing audio-animatronics, things where the regular guests won't notice a change is where the problem is beginning to lie. When the park begins to not uphold Walt Disney's original park traditions, you know that we have a problem, because slowly, the park will stop being Walt Disney's park, and the guests will stop coming.

    In the end, all I am saying is that the park needs to keep a healthy balance, and that that balance is beginning to slip. Although the park is still wonderful, the park needs to keep technology, franchises, and advertisements all balanced out with the original attractions, sans-character attractions, and theming.


    When marketing realizes it and when the Disneyland President realizes it, then Walt's Disneyland will be safe and Disneyland Today will truly be Walt's Disneyland, because there is a perfect balance of everything.
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 07-23-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  2. #2

    • UnExiled Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,478

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Meh. Too many guests have it too good, and pay far too little to enter Disneyland. They seem to care a lot about DL, but would rather not pay what it is worth to enter DL.

    There is only one cause of all the problems at DL. Eliminate that, and DL reverts to what it was and should always be.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  3. #3

    • Digging to Earth's center
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    45 minutes away from Disneyland
    Posts
    336

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    I agree with you. I go to Disneyland because it is Walt's land, and Walt was an amazing person with an amazing imagination. Disneyland has been "cheaped" down. I can't believe they thought it was smart to remove all of Frontierland's charm and beauty that made it unique... Nature's Wonderland, the Conestoga Wagons, the pack mules... And they destroyed Tomorrowland. They took out Mission to Mars, Adventure thru Inner Space, PeopleMover, the original Submarine Voyage... thankfully, they've kept the Monorail. The only thing that I believe improved Walt's Disneyland was to update Fantasyland from tents to storybook houses... that was genius.

    As for people today... I am all for Walt's beauty and charm in Disneyland. I love the unique details... I go to Disneyland to see the landscaping and unique qualities of it, because if I wanted to see roller coasters everywhere, I'd go to my local Six Flags or Knott's Berry Farm. But my sister actually has friends that don't understand Disneyland.

    They say it's convenient to have the same merchandise in every single store. That means you can buy a Mickey plushy in Adventureland, Frontierland, and Tomorrowland. THE EXACT SAME ONE. They think it's a genius idea to put Buzz in Tomorrowland, cuz they think the land itself has too dark theming (I kid you not!). They skipped the originals like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and Matterhorn to take another spin on Winnie the Pooh, because that's what's Disney to them.

    I miss Walt's original Disneyland. Hope they bring back at least a little bit of it...
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

    First DL trip - 1997

    First WDW trip - N/A

    # of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

    # of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

  4. #4

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,480

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Disneyland now is Corporate... in many ways mirroring the history of Las Vegas... what was previously a service oriented everyone knows you family atmosphere is now a money making give you the minimum while pillaging your wallet machine...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #5

    • Oo-de-lally
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    1,000

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    I totaly agree with this. I do not thank Walt would be too happy with the way the parks are being run today.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”
    This is the way I see Disneyland. I will always think of it as Walt's park.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

  6. #6

    • Digging to Earth's center
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    45 minutes away from Disneyland
    Posts
    336

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disneyland now is Corporate... in many ways mirroring the history of Las Vegas...
    Good thing Disneyland hasn't built casinos over Big Thunder Mountain yet...

    BRING BACK WALT'S DISNEYLAND!!!!

    What I would give to be alive in the 80's so I could ride Adventure thruu Inner Space... and what I would give to go back when original Submarine Voyage and PeopleMover were around (I've been on both of them once)
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

    First DL trip - 1997

    First WDW trip - N/A

    # of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

    # of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

  7. #7

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    The exec's seem to loose mind that the main draw for Disneyland is because it is Walt Disney's Disneyland.
    This is a silly argument.

    What constitutes Walt's Disneyland? Everything he personally oversaw being built? If the park stayed the same from 1966 onward it would have gone stale and have closed YEARS ago.

    Do you mean some abstract concept of Walt's vision for Disneyland? He wanted the place to stay clean and fresh and entertaining. It's still all of these things.

    Or is this really, as I suspect, just another rant about the perceived lack of quality in the park, and how Walt would hate X because surely it is cheaper and not as good as what he built. Let me tell you right now: I telepathically spoke to Walt last night and he told me he absolutely loves what Disneyland has become. He also said that The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is the best dark ride ever made.

    "Give the public everything you can give them, keep the place as clean as you can keep it, keep it friendly, I think they're convinced and I think they'll hang on after, as you say, after Disney." - Walt Disney.

    14 million people a year can't be wrong.

  8. #8

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalAdventure View Post
    BRING BACK WALT'S DISNEYLAND!!!!

    What I would give to be alive in the 80's so I could ride Adventure thruu Inner Space... and what I would give to go back when original Submarine Voyage and PeopleMover were around (I've been on both of them once)
    Star Tours is much better than Adventures Thru Inner Space.

    And Finding Nemo is pretty much exactly the same as the previous Submarine Voyage. Nemo just has more things to look at.

  9. #9

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    This is a silly argument.

    What constitutes Walt's Disneyland? Everything he personally oversaw being built? If the park stayed the same from 1966 onward it would have gone stale and have closed YEARS ago.

    Do you mean some abstract concept of Walt's vision for Disneyland? He wanted the place to stay clean and fresh and entertaining. It's still all of these things.

    Or is this really, as I suspect, just another rant about the perceived lack of quality in the park, and how Walt would hate X because surely it is cheaper and not as good as what he built. Let me tell you right now: I telepathically spoke to Walt last night and he told me he absolutely loves what Disneyland has become. He also said that The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is the best dark ride ever made.

    "Give the public everything you can give them, keep the place as clean as you can keep it, keep it friendly, I think they're convinced and I think they'll hang on after, as you say, after Disney." - Walt Disney.

    14 million people a year can't be wrong.
    The major point is, Walt Disney created Disneyland as a place to share education, fun, and a family atmosphere. People today come for that atmosphere that Walt created.

    The exec's need to remember that this has always been the major draw to Disneyland, and that while new attractions are always added, they don't need to go into overkill and create all new attractions to always keep the public interested, because they keep coming for Disneyland, not just the new attractions, or the technology, or the fact that there is a disney character in every ride.

    The main point of my argument is that Disneyland doesn't draw visitors because of corporate advertisements like YOMAD, they come because Disneyland is the place where there is something for everyone and there doesn't have to be corporate overkill to justify it.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  10. #10

    • Digging to Earth's center
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    45 minutes away from Disneyland
    Posts
    336

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Star Tours is much better than Adventures Thru Inner Space.

    And Finding Nemo is pretty much exactly the same as the previous Submarine Voyage. Nemo just has more things to look at.
    I'd probably prefer Adventure Thru Inner Space, because I'm all for dark rides/conveyer-belt systems... over a simulator. I'd prefer 3D images than simulators anyday. That's why I wish I could've seen it. It looked so cool.

    Ya, I agree that Nemo has more things to look at. The big difference is that all the 3D AAs have been taken out, and top-technology tv-like screens have been installed in their place. If there was an amazing Bruce AA or angler AA or Crush AA, I wouldn't complain. But no, everything 3D is a statue. Don't get me wrong, I love the Subs and the storyline... it's like a high-tech dark ride! I'm just all for the 3D stuff like AAs. I guess AAs wouldn't have been possible in most of the scenes... but I wish...
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

    First DL trip - 1997

    First WDW trip - N/A

    # of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

    # of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

  11. #11

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    The main point of my argument is that Disneyland doesn't draw visitors because of corporate advertisements like YOMAD, they come because Disneyland is the place where there is something for everyone and there doesn't have to be corporate overkill to justify it.
    What do you define as corporate overkill?

    Do you mean the saturation with cartoon characters everywhere? People WANT to see their favorite characters. That's part of the fun of Disneyland.

    The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine. If Disneyland somehow lost it's focus and ceased providing what the public wanted, people would stop coming and attendance would decline.

    The fact that Disneyland's attendance is so high and continues to be incredibly high is just proof that Disneyland is providing people the level of entertainment for the price that they expect to pay.

    The sky isn't falling.

  12. #12

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalAdventure View Post
    Ya, I agree that Nemo has more things to look at. The big difference is that all the 3D AAs have been taken out, and top-technology tv-like screens have been installed in their place.

    The Submarine Voyage was built before AA technology was even created. The "figures" on the Submarine Voyage were nothing more than simply mechanical figures that had simple off and on motions that cycled over and over.

    The digital projects may not be real in the physical sense, but they can provide a better illusion and sense of motion than the old fish on strings could.

  13. #13

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    What do you define as corporate overkill?

    Do you mean the saturation with cartoon characters everywhere? People WANT to see their favorite characters. That's part of the fun of Disneyland.

    The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine. If Disneyland somehow lost it's focus and ceased providing what the public wanted, people would stop coming and attendance would decline.

    The fact that Disneyland's attendance is so high and continues to be incredibly high is just proof that Disneyland is providing people the level of entertainment for the price that they expect to pay.

    The sky isn't falling.
    Sure, it's painted and everything is clear, but there is a theme going on that says, "If the public won't notice that the detail is missing, then who cares!"
    The point is, maybe the general public won't notice now, but after a while, it all build's up. The people come for what Disneyland is famous for, the special things that the general public doesn't always notice. It doesn't have to always be shoved up in your face with advertisements or on the ride itself. Good technology, Disney Characters, and movie based rides are all a part that makes Disneyland itself. But we are getting close to overkill, and after a while, not now, but in a while the public will notice.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  14. #14

    • Digging to Earth's center
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    45 minutes away from Disneyland
    Posts
    336

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    But we are getting close to overkill, and after a while, not now, but in a while the public will notice.
    Ya I'm noticing the overkill already...

    Making a Buzz attraction in Tomorrowland isn't character overkill.
    Turning Tom Sawyer Island, Walt's creation, into Pirate's Lair is character overkill.

    Making attractions based on characters isn't character overkill... But if they put Disney characters all over Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and Matterhorn... that is DEFINITELY overkill. Especially if they replaced the yeti with Stitch... THAT is character overkill.

    That's why I favor Walt's Disneyland. He didn't put Mickey Mouse in every ride. He put his characters in Fantasyland... nowhere else. Now every land has characters.
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

    First DL trip - 1997

    First WDW trip - N/A

    # of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

    # of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

  15. #15

    • First Time Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    263

    Re: The Problem with Disneyland Today

    MrLiver, I agree with you completely. While I have loved these boards over the past 2 years, I am sick of the Doomsday prophecies and hearing how "Walt would be unhappy with the park as it is now." I completely disagree. Sure, there are some semi-crappy rides in Disneyland now, but there have always been some bad rides. I think the parks are going in a good direction right now. The parks provide a great experience for people of all different ages and backgrounds.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Is disneyland paris faced the hong kong disney problem?
    By hkdl in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 04:06 AM
  2. [Trip Report] My Problem with Tokyo Disneyland Hotel
    By forestlite in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
  3. [Other] A growing problem at Disneyland?
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
  4. Going to Disneyland today....
    By Zeus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •