Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

Re: Big Birthday Trip to Disneyland, Universal and Disney Studios!

Great trip report! I love your pictures of the PPP parade with the sky and clouds in the background. Beautiful!!

• Bucket List Car

Very nice report! I loved going to Universal Studios when I used to live out in SoCal. Last time I was there was December 2000.

I love how they have a Norman Bates out at the hotel. Very funny!!!

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

Awesome TR. Your pictures really seem to capture a true feeling of being right there. This is by far the best tr of Disneyland and NFFC

I havn't seen Universal in about 40 years and WOW they offer so much.

Look forward to the your Studio tr

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Monday July 21st

First of all, I want to thank my friend who allowed me to visit the Walt Disney Studios and for
    lunchtime my friend spent with me, giving me a tour of the part of the Studios. You see, there
    is much more to the studio, than just the area that I have pictures of. I wasn't on the east side
    of the studio, where they film tv shows in studios (although a couple years ago, I did see an
    episode of 8 Simple Rules being taped in one of those buildings. There is also apparently an
    outdoor street that can be used for taping various things.

I pack my car, and check out of the hotel. Then drive up to Burbank to the Disney Studios!
    I drive in the gate closer to the Team Disney Building, and they direct me to the other gate.
    At the west gate, they check my id, and give me a guest badge to wear.

One of the more notable buildings is the ABC Building, across the road from the Studios.

There is a bridge that does go across the road, for access from the rest of the Studio.
    But that wasn't where I was headed.

But do take note of the unique design of the fence surrounding the studio!

From where I parked, you can catch a glimpse of the Sorcerer hat building, That would be fun
    to see closer up, but it wasn't part of the tour, for me.

I did walk under a covered walkway, by a wall. At the end of the wall, I did get a little peek
    at some of the Buildings where tv shows and movies have been taped.

That wasn't the area I toured, though.

The part of the Disney Studios I toured was very "park" like!

This Building was moved from the
    Hyperion Disney Studio lot!

Topiary Mickey Is Standing Guard, and Welcoming all, near the commissary

I did eat lunch there, after I toured the studio. They do have a couple outdoor eating areas, adjacent to the commissary.

Little further down the street, is one of the more famous Landmarks, which was used in the movie
    "Pete's Dragon". You can see the curb is painted, identifying it as "Pluto's Corner"

I did notice the red fire hydrant, but my friend pointed out WHY it's called PLUTO'S CORNER!

And only now do I think of "posing by the fire hydrant"

If we continue down Mickey Ave, it leads to the Team Disney Buiilding,
    But, we are going to go down Dopey Drive for a few stops, first.

There are two very common sites around this area, the first is squirrels!
    There are 2 in this picture.

The other is bicycles.

We head into the Theatre Building, first. Throughout the area leading to the front door, it's like a "Grauman's Chinese Theater" of Disney Dignitaries.

This Mickey Greets you in the entry lobby. There isn't a concession stand, but Disney did have popcorn and soda's for screenings of movies.

And here is the Theater. My friend did get a chance to see Wall-E in here back in January. They also use this theater for editing sound.

I did get permission to take a couple pictures in this soundstage.

They were working on foreign language sound editing for the upcoming special dvd release of Sleeping Beauty. Going through it FRAME by FRAME. I didn't ask how long it takes for just one one language.

Here is another soundstage. As you can see through the window, there is separate room for the voice actor or singer.

They try to give the people who are doing the voice work some privacy, while vocals are being taped. They wouldn't let me in here while the actual taping was going on. There are VERY FEW who are allowed to drive directly up to this entire area of the lot, but there are about three or four parking places for the easy access by the voice artists.
    This day, they had a least a couple of the people in High School Musical 3 recording. I didn't see them, but I really wasn't expecting too.

Next we head to the other building across from the Theatre. There is a long hallway that goes straight through the center of the building, with several different animation pieces in the hallway. Some are originals, some are copies.

Part way down the Main Stretch, my friend told me that Marty Sklar's office was down this hallway.

A Mr. Potatohead, signed by Don Rickles!

This Mickey was in the center of the building.

And here is the Team Disney Building, which was completed in 1990.

Going throught the Main Entry, there is a rather large hallway with very tall pillars. I one area, you see this tile mural of Walt and Mickey.

There is a smaller parking lot near this building,

But there is also a courtyard area, where the Disney Ledgends awards are displayed. This was later in the afternoon, and you can see they were setting up for some sort of reception. (the tables were not there when I had arrived, shortly after noon.) You can see the 3 major sculptures in this photo. Sorcerer Mickey hand and wand(right side of picture) , Roy and Minnie on bench (toward the left), and the Walt and Mickey statue (center just beyond the blue tables). In the very back, you can see the Frank Wells Building.

The Disney Legends Statue

Roy and Minnie and Me. WDW guests will recognise this.

On the left, you see some plaques with hand prints of various Disney Animators, and other notables. These are NOT cement.

Walt and Mickey

The Frank Wells Building, with the Film Reel theme.

Yeah, I took a lot more, but only showing the more interesting ones.

The dedication at the entry to the building.

Immediately as you enter the building, there is a Large open lobby, one area has these large display cases with some of the clothing and props from Camp Rock.

A MUCH more interesting display was on your left hand side, as you enter the large lobby. These display cases showed off the head gear over the past several decades

The Rookie (Left) worn by Dennis Quaid
    Pearl Harbor (Middle) worn by Ben Affleck
    Lt Robinson Caruso (Dick Van Dyke) is the straw hat on the left

Ollie Johnston RR hat (left)
    Jimmie Dodd Mouse Ears (center)
    Band Hat for Disneyland's 25 anniversary (right)

Walt's personal hats

Pharoh hat from Spaceship Earth
    Sam the Eagle Hat America Sings
    the two smaller hats are also from America Sings

Davy Crockett
    (I didn't realize that even the face of the racoon is on his hat ! Dead center!)

Rocketeer

Mary Poppins

Hats from the Pirates movies.

Hat from TRON on the left

On another wall, there was a display case showing some conceptual art AND a model vehicle for Tokoyo DL's Monster's Inc Ride and Go Seek

Right next to that display case is the entry to the Disney Archives!
    I was surprised that the door to Archives is on the Main Floor, right by the large lobby of the Frank Wells Building. I really was expecting it to be in a Vault hidden in a secret cave, like Batman, or through a series of locked gates, like at the beginning of Get Smart. But it was only one door away from being the lobby of the Frank Wells building.

Mickey Mouse Review models

There were several bookcases in the archives, the top of the bookcases held the more interesing items, like this model for the Absent Minded Professor

Some of the Pirate Figures

My friend also pointed out these Mickey Portraits. Every Decade (or so) Mickey has a new Official portrait done. Here are four of them. In this first picture, off to the right, you get a brief glimpse inside Dave Smith's office. Yes, he was in there at the time, with his door open, he was busy on his computer, so I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I didn't take any pictures of him, to keep his privacy.

One of the most interesting things in the cases of this room was Walt's Passport from 1918, when he joined the Red Cross. His signature is on the bottom left.

Ah, but that was not all. Upstairs in the same building, there was also another room that has several other Disney artifacts. We took the elevator, which is very distinctive!

As we get off the elevator, there was some Ugly Betty Signage. My friend explained that this floor also had some ABC offices. We walked down the hallway to another room, which could be described as storage area or closet for other Disney Archive material.

There was a longer counter, off to the right, as you enter the room
    Just behind the counter is the Rocketeer outfit.

The Zorro outfit from the 1950's was also on display.

In addition, there was a large rack of clothing, at one end, Prince Edwards costume from Enchanted. I asked if I could get a closer look, and seeing how excited I was, they happily obliged. However I may have over stepped my bounds when I asked if there would be a possibility of "trying it on". Well, they just kind of giggled, kindly said no. and then hauled me away to the Disney jail ( )

They did let me try on the boots of Queen Narissa.
    Unfortunately those photo's didn't turn out.
    (ok, I joke, they didn't even take the boots out of the plastic. )

They had several display cases in the room, among those,

Mary Poppins

Return To Oz

Roger Rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocketeers Rocket!

Y'all know these!

This was cool. The portrait from the 1st Shaggy Dog movie.
    This is shown in the movie, when he looks for information about the curse!

OSCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISS THE COUNTRY BEARS!!!!!!!

When my friend asked if I wanted my picture with Walt, I'm sure I had
    a strange look on my face. For a second, I thought, is that cryogenic stuff true? then they showed me this little area behind the door!

All good things have to come to an end. And that was all the time
    for me in the archives. But I'm thankful for getting to see so much,
    and for them not hauling me off to Disney Jail for wanting to take
    Captain Jack Sparrow's Hat and Prince Edward's outfit!

Oh, I did want to point out, it's interesting to see the NBC Peacock on this mural, as there are ABC offices on this floor! But it is part of Disney history!

Just a couple more pictures of the Team Disney Building, as seen from the Frank Wells Building.

Just a few more picture of this beatiful part of the Disney Studios

In the Commissary and in the Lobby of the Frank Wells Building, I saw this Sign! Disney's Pooh Camp ~ HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

After saying goodbye, I wanted to stop by the Disney Soda Fountain
    and El Capitan theater, since it wasn't too far away. So, off to Hollywood.

I my report back in April, I showed some pictures of DCA, and compared them
    to their originals in Hollywood. Here is one more set to add to that series.

DCA

Hollywood ~ the first floor is a Popeye's Chicken, the 2nd floor is a medical office.

I did stop in the costume store on Hollywood Blvd, and what a surprise to run into
    MaryAnn in Wonderland and ShockerBatman! They were looking for some items in
    preparation for the Comic Convention in San Diego!

Right across the Street from the costume shop, is the Snow White Cafe,
    in case you didn't already know.

In front of Grauman Chinese Theater, they had an area blocked off.
    Looks like Michael Caine made an appearance recently.

Of course the "celebrities" were nearby

I didn't watch Wall-E at the El Capitan, as they only have a short stage show,
    and nothing large like what they did for Pirates or Enchanted.

This must be a new addition to the front of the Disney Soda Fountain!

At least it doesn't cover Donald's Star. Quite a few people were stopping to take their pictures
    with this minnie Mickey Mouse, adults and kids both!
    This is a fairly small version of Mickey.

Inside the Disney Soda Fountain, they had Planet decoration above.

They also seem to have expanded the store, further into
    the center of the room. But they too were short on Wall-E
    Merchandise.

They also added a Kodak machine, similar to the ones you
    see in Target, BUT the one at the Soda Fountain has some
    exclusive borders that you can place on your pictures. I
    played around with the machine a little ~ Here I dressed up
    one of the Photos of me on the Disney Studios lot

I like Walt and Wall-E in the same picture! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Hope you all enjoyed the "virtual trip" through part of the Disney Studios,
    and part of the Disney Archives!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 07-26-2008 at 03:21 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I love all your pictures and a tour of the studio could not happen to a nicer guy.

• Defying gravity

I would LOVE to visit the Disney Studios! How exciting for you. Wonderful TR!

• Oo-de-lally

These are some amazing pictures. I really enjoyed the one from the studio. This looks like an fun trip. Thank you for sharing.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Banned User

I'd LOVE to tour the studios! I drove by them a couple weeks ago just to be a tourist and have fun. Is there any way to actually tour them or do you have to know someone? I was told Disneyland CMs can get in to tour certain parts of it but I'm not so sure of it.

Disney does offer tours through Adventures by Disney, but those run around $2,500 per person and include a visit to Imagineering, Disneyland tickets and more.

Otherwise you basically have to know someone(and it may well be that they have to work somewhere at the Studios. I know of a case where a guy worked for Disney's online division and he could not get his wife on the backlot.

I loved the Studios pics. I got to tour the Studios in February and your pictures brought back so many memories. My case was an instance of knowing somebody with the right connections.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great detail and wonderful pictures Todd. Thanks again!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The commentary on my report in post 34 is complete now. It was really
    great to see so many interesting things from Disney History, as well as
    what they are working on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
    Disney does offer tours through Adventures by Disney, but those run around $2,500 per person and include a visit to Imagineering, Disneyland tickets and more.

Otherwise you basically have to know someone(and it may well be that they have to work somewhere at the Studios. I know of a case where a guy worked for Disney's online division and he could not get his wife on the backlot.

I loved the Studios pics. I got to tour the Studios in February and your pictures brought back so many memories. My case was an instance of knowing somebody with the right connections.
    As I mentioned, there are several parts of the Studio that I didn't get a
    chance to see. Imagineering was one of the areas I didn't see. I would have LOVED to see one of the stages, when they were filming the 1st pirate movie, with the caverns and waterways ~ oh well, at least part of that is on dvd. But I was really fortunate to get a chance to see two different rooms of the Disney Archives and the sound stages, as well.

And again, a special THANKS! to the person who got me in!

WOW, the studio pics are great. It's nice that they gave Oscar his own display case.

It's also interesting that the items in the case in the lobby seem to be updated frequently, as when I was there, Oscar was in the case, along with some Mary Poppins costumes and a few other small items.

On top of the book cases in the office there were only two items. Pinocchio and the model for the Star Speeder 3000 (which I didn't get a pic of)

Our tour, featured a walk around the lot, and places like the prop rooms, the animation building (with the Mickey hat), the Frank Wells building, with a bit of the archives, but we were expressly forbidden from taking photo's. In fact at certain times they took our camera's and cell phones, to prevent us from taking pictures in the screening room.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

When we were in the archives downstairs, the person guiding me wasn't sure if pictures were allowed in the archive. There was a lady at desk in the same room,
    and we asked if pictures were allowed, and she said yes. The archive room upstairs was also ok with taking pictures. We did NOT start going through books, nor did we touch anything on the shelves, either. Oh, the picture of Walt on the wall in the upstairs archive room (in the Frank Wells Building) certainly seems
    to be set up for photo ops.

I'm sure, since they didn't want us in the sound stage when a couple people were recording for High School Musical 3, they wouldn't want pictures taken of any of that work in progress either. If the sound editor had been working on a NEW movie, they might not have allowed me in that sound stage either, and I'm sure they would not have allowed cameras, either. But since it was Sleeping Beauty, which has already been released, they were ok with a couple of pictures. I'm sure
    most of the time, guides would just say "No Pictures in this Building", because the might not necessarily know what was being worked on.

Oh, the guide told me that this was the first time that guide had seen the Camp Rock Outfits. (personally, I think Mary Poppins would have been much more interesting.)

• Golden State of Mind

Wow great report! Don't stop!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Wow great report! Don't stop!
    Oh, I'll never stop going to Disneyland!

But that's it for the report, I left the Disney Soda Fountain
    about 9pm on Monday night, and drove back to phoenix.

The end!

(sorry no fancy butt ending photo)

The Picture of Wall-E, Walt and Me was the end photo, for this trip

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast