Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

How Golden Dreams dropped the ball

The DCA movie "Golden Dreams" is stale already to those of us that have been to the park since it opened. But it went though my whiskey soaked brain that maybe the film could have had a little longer life if it had been a circle-vision film. I was sad to see circle-vision leave Disneyland to be replaced by a queue. Although movies get old after a while, 360 degree films have a long Disney history and is very unique. And the sad thing is that neither Disneyland Resort park has a circle vision movie any more. Maybe after "Golden Dreams" retires, the theater could be rebuilt as a circle vision film and a series of California based movies can be shown.

San Soo Justin

www.socalinvestigators.com

• Wonderful World

Re: How Golden Dreams dropped the ball

What is glden dreams about.I never was interested in watching it.
    I'm back MiceChat

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Cirlce Vision, 3-D, Motion Simulator..........or even a ride thru sets would not save this attraction........Story first...delivery second. If you don't got a good story no amount of wizardery is gonna make the attraction a Swan.............kinda the problem with the entire park imho
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion FOREVER!

Golden Dreams is about the history of people (and events) in California History.
    It's narrated by Whoopie Goldberg. With interesting projection effects at the start.
    (But unfortunately, that's the only innovative thing about it).

However, there are two things in it that really get to me:

* The scene where the dynamite explodes on a group of Chinese laborers working on
    the railroad over the Sierras. (My great grandfather worked on the railroad).
    * The scene where the Japanese lady gets off the boat in San Francisco as a "picture
    bride" to meet a much older man than the picture she has. (Nothing to do
    with my family, but still gets to me).

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I dunno about Circle-Vision...I think that show system is a little bit stale, too. Honestly, the content they chose for the show is great, it's just execution. They should have built an Audio-Animatronics show like the American Adventure at Epcot, only using the stories that Golden Dreams uses. That would have been spectacular. Oh...and a different theme song would have been better...I'm not a huge fan. The problem with the show is it feels like a movie theatre and the best special effects are those cheap Whoopie statues where the image doesn't even line up with the features on the statue any more, so it just looks ridiculous, like Whoopie has 4 eyes. It's sad because that show should tie the entire park together (and it kinda does...just about all of the regions of the park are showcased (Paradise Pier largely excepted), just not well...). They definitely dropped the ball on that one. Hopefully its replacement is far more spectacular and not like something you might find at a local museum. DCA needs to not show us the history of California, but rather bring the history of the state alive for us. That would be something much better accepted--we can go see present-day California on our owns, but we can't go back and see the Gold Rush. DCA should allow us to.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Nish....

I agree with you. The two scenes you mentioned are the best parts of the film.

As for the rest of it, I just let it wash right over me while I enjoyed the comfort of the seats and the airconditioning since it was in the 90's outside the day I saw it.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I dunno about Circle-Vision...I think that show system is a little bit stale, too. Honestly, the content they chose for the show is great, it's just execution. They should have built an Audio-Animatronics show like the American Adventure at Epcot, only using the stories that Golden Dreams uses. That would have been spectacular. Oh...and a different theme song would have been better...I'm not a huge fan. The problem with the show is it feels like a movie theatre and the best special effects are those cheap Whoopie statues where the image doesn't even line up with the features on the statue any more, so it just looks ridiculous, like Whoopie has 4 eyes. It's sad because that show should tie the entire park together (and it kinda does...just about all of the regions of the park are showcased (Paradise Pier largely excepted), just not well...). They definitely dropped the ball on that one. Hopefully its replacement is far more spectacular and not like something you might find at a local museum. DCA needs to not show us the history of California, but rather bring the history of the state alive for us. That would be something much better accepted--we can go see present-day California on our owns, but we can't go back and see the Gold Rush. DCA should allow us to.
    While I do like the movie, your idea about an Audio-Animatronic show.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Golden Dreams is about the history of people (and events) in California History.
    It's narrated by Whoopie Goldberg. With interesting projection effects at the start.

* The scene where the dynamite explodes on a group of Chinese laborers working on
    * The scene where the Japanese lady gets off the boat in San Francisco as a "picture
    Both of those get to me too, but even more, the ending with the slideshow clips. I think it gets to me more because most of it is from my childhood/teen years. This pics of Karen Carpenter, Sonny Bono, Jim Hensen, etc.. My kids always tease "OK, here comes the tears scene."
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    The DCA movie "Golden Dreams" is stale already to those of us that have been to the park since it opened. But it went though my whiskey soaked brain that maybe the film could have had a little longer life if it had been a circle-vision film. I was sad to see circle-vision leave Disneyland to be replaced by a queue. Although movies get old after a while, 360 degree films have a long Disney history and is very unique. And the sad thing is that neither Disneyland Resort park has a circle vision movie any more. Maybe after "Golden Dreams" retires, the theater could be rebuilt as a circle vision film and a series of California based movies can be shown.

San Soo Justin

www.socalinvestigators.com
    I don't think that it being a circle vision would neccisarily make it more interesting

DCA is a park that rely's too much on things that you sit back and watch and that unfold infront of you

this presents of course the problem with them not being very impressive but it also creates the problem that with such a high saturation point with videos all of these movie based attractions must present some sort of unique and impressive feature that sets them appart from all the others

Golden Dreams presents no unique elements and thus it should probably be removed

even with circlevision I just don't think it'd be as encompassing or interesting anymore and the location is just bad for the type of attraction it is

Golden Dreams is an educational like movie which also puts guests off a bit interest wise

combine that with the fact that it really belongs in the entrance to form an educational type attraction like Lincoln is at the entrance of DIsneyland (except that Golden Dreams would've then had the opportunity to highlight the park)

all in all Golden Dreams just doesn't work

maybe if it had a moving theator element or some AA's or some sort of special effect it might be more popular (alongside being placed at the center of the park)

at least Soarin does a good job of highlighting California in an interesting way

For those of us that are REAL Californians, you know born and raised, this one seems to hit an emotional nerve. I almost always cry by the end.

But my friends who are transplants don't really get it.

I like Golden Dreams. It, Soarin, and the Animation building are the soul, spirit and heart of the park for me. But that's not saying much about the park overall ...
    I think someone has left the shower running ...
    --Tiki Bird Jose

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

* The scene where the dynamite explodes on a group of Chinese laborers working on the railroad over the Sierras. (My great grandfather worked on the railroad).
    Compared to when DCA first opened, a major edit on that scene had been done. Originally, after seeing the man and the boy yelling, the camera flew up, on an overall shot of the wall (away from the workers), as the wall was exploding (which then the smoke faded into the steam from the train. Better cinematography, but mush more gruesome, as the exposing was clearly seen.
    -Monorail Man

• "Always On The Move..."

Those two scenes got me tearing up. Extremely powerful. No family connection, but just made me cry anyways.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

^--- Um, I believe thats how it still is.

I love Golden Dreams, but then I love history in general. Yes, its "just" a movie, but I think it does an excellent job of telling a very good, and balanced, presentation of some of the complex stories and issues that made California what it is. And if you grew up here, then that ending montage is indeed emotional.

Maybe the reason that so many don't seem to like this show is because most people are so short-sighted, both coming and going, that they have no interest in finding out what can be learned from history in general. And you know what they say about those that don't learn from history...

• California Adventurer

Happily inside Disney California Adventure ... or at the nearest theme park I can find.

Golden Dreams--from its wonderful recreation of San Francisco's Palace of Fine Arts structure to the film inside--is very fitting for Disney's California Adventure. The Golden Dreams movie is about the Golden State's settlers, dreamers, innovators and their personal struggles of the past--all tied together with Whoopi Goldberg's narration, while concluding emotionally at the end. I've lost count of how many times I've seen Golden Dreams, and I still get teary-eyed during the photo montage with its inspiring song: "Just One Dream."

Those who may think Golden Dreams is boring or not entertaining could possibly also believe Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland is boring, too. I appreciate and like the fact that a bit of American history is presented in both Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland. The details, historical recreations, costuming, sets, acting, and on-location filmming used to create Golden Dreams succeeds in presenting and honoring some of California's history, people and cultures--with relevance to progress and our world today. I hope Golden Dreams remains in Disney's California Adventure for many more years to come.
    Yes, I do LOVE Disney California Adventure. Disneyland is not so bad either ;-)

See my photography regularly in MiceChat's "In The Parks" updates, published each Friday.
    Follow my theme-park adventures on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThemeParkTimes

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I saw Golden Dreams this past May and think is quite a good film. I don't think, however, it's a good theme park attraction. The theatre was quite empty when we went... about 20 people or so. Perhaps in a smaller theatre it would be better. I don't think it justifies the space it currently takes. (I also think the "effects" with Whoopi's face are a little creepy, partially because she always seems to have her eyes closed.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast