• "I Break Things"

The Balloon Drop

Someone mentioned the Parachute Drop (which incidentally prompted the "copy" thread), someone else (Uncle Bob I think) mentioned a Giant Victorian Balloon... why not combine these two?

Here is my thought. Rip out Maliboomer and place one large central tower (for all you old school fans place the Disney at the top). Then set up the stations to each have a vehicle themed to a hot air balloon. Taking the same concept as the Sun wheel, have 2 lines, one that has "plunging" balloons and another that has a much gentler drop for the little ones. It would have to be a well designed basket, nothing like the rickety metal cages of old. I was thinking more of a sit down style circular basket that would hold 8 people (think GRR). Each seat would have an individual belt, with a locking mechanism like Indy which would prevent the belt from being unbuckled, and prevent dispatch from sending the balloon without all belts safely secured. The actual balloons would be color coded depending on the coloring scheme of the actual tower. Have the gentle balloons one color, and the much faster balloons a second color.

If anything, it could be modeled to "Around the World in 80 Days". For the real purist, add a observation cabin to the center so it looks like Knott's, but designed a great deal better. I honestly think this could work. You could either take the balloon for the thrill, or enjoy a much gentler up/down and take in the view.

I open the floor.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Lowering Expectations

Re: The Balloon Drop

And for the bean counters: the balloon motif will increase helium balloon sales.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Fastest Man Alive

Wasn't at one point there a plan to basically do just that? I believe that it was going to be a 'Green Army Man' Parachute drop. Good idea. I also like the idea of the 2 different speeds to make it more accessible to a wider range of people.

• WDW CP Spring 2013

It sounds like it would have a horrible capacity, though I still like the idea of a balloon over Paradise Pier.

• Addicted to MC since '08

What if they had four "cabins", one on each side?

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I like it. It sounds like something I'd go on, and the varying speeds is a good idea.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Wasn't at one point there a plan to basically do just that? I believe that it was going to be a 'Green Army Man' Parachute drop. Good idea. I also like the idea of the 2 different speeds to make it more accessible to a wider range of people.
    Someone mentioned it recently so I started thinking about it. John L wanted to do it, but they have since shelved it. My major complaint was that it was tied into Pixar. I then thought about the whole "big balloon" thread and thought... Around the World in 80 Days... and that's where this came from. I believe it would tie in both beautifully, the thrill of the fall or the beauty of the view.

Depending on how many stations they have it could actually be a pretty high capacity attraction. I would say either make more of the "drop" baskets, or make larger "float" baskets. As interesting as the observation cabin would be, it wouldn't compare to actually "being out there" and for a little one "plunging to your doom" isn't always a selling point, but something gentle would be.

• Senior Minion

I think it's a great idea. Maybe the vehicles could be modeled on ToT. That would actually solve a lot of problems. It'd be double decker with a pretty good capacity and views would be all directed toward the park and not the Covention Center. Just style them to look big Victorian baskets. The actual ride system would need to be a little different, but the basic vehicle layout would work great.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Maybe the vehicles could be modeled on ToT. That would actually solve a lot of problems. It'd be double decker with a pretty good capacity and views would be all directed toward the park and not the Covention Center. Just style them to look big Victorian baskets. The actual ride system would need to be a little different, but the basic vehicle layout would work great.
    That might be a bit too big. I was thinking of removing the 3 towers in favor of one centralized tower (sorry but Knott's and Coney knew how to do it best). Given the size of the centralized tower I could see probably 14 baskets give or take, probably more. Each holds 8 possibly 10 guests... devote it as an even split or a good fast/slow ratio. The main design "element" that allows so many baskets is that you utilize the space in between. It's sort of hard to explain, but you use the outward most ones for the views, and then put shorter arms between them for the faster "drops"

• Senior Minion

Oh I see, really pretty much like a parachute drop but with slightly bigger vehicles. I guess that would work, but I would want each balloon to bigger and maybe just like four balloons with bigger vehicles, so the balloons would be big, but that's just aesthetic vision I would want. I'm not sure which would be more practical and cost less, you'd really have to have pretty detailed plan to estimate the riders per hour and construction cost of each version.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Stick with parachutes.

The whole idea of being into a baloon is to go up. Sure, you will go up, but if the focus of the ride is the descent, then baloons don't make much sense.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Stick with parachutes.

The whole idea of being into a baloon is to go up. Sure, you will go up, but if the focus of the ride is the descent, then baloons don't make much sense.
    Balloon, Parachute combination... which explains a slow decent vs a faster one. Also explains the larger vs smaller vehicles.

• Senior Minion

It would be cool if the balloons slowly rotated around the parachutes toward the middle so that your views would change and it would give that balloon floating in the wind feeling.
    -Walt Disney

• Done waiting!!

Putting an old-fashioned hot air balloon on the top of the tower could be a direct allusion to the original Disneyland concept art that Herb Ryman drew up for the potential investors. See the top middle?

I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"