Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gargoyle Fun

• "I Break Things"

Hunchback Gargoyle Fun

I'll start this by saying my Mom is moving, and while the majority of my stuff has been moved out, there is always that one box that is tucked away somewhere and just sort of appears when they are about to move out. So she called, I went over, and went through a couple of my old boxes. One thing in there was a statue of the three gargoyles from Hunchback. I have NO CLUE what their names are, but the porcelain statue made me smile, and made me think. I've always been fascinated by the movement of clocks. So for gargoyle lovers, and clock lovers, this is for you.

The Fantasyland Skyway Station has been dormant for many years. I'm not sure why, but it has always reminded me of a bell tower. So my thought is this. Rip out the giant wagon souvenir stand, and use that entire real estate, literally all the undeveloped area from that up through the station, for a new dark ride centered on the gargoyles from Hunchback. The ride system could easily be designed in a similar manner to Alice, with multiple levels as you progress up, and down the hill through this combination bell and clock tower. It would take you from the bottom up, and then back down. Through the entire tower, in and out of the giant bells and the various gears that make everything work. Your "guides" would be the gargoyles, but in honesty it would be based on an experience and not rely on a movie tie in... in a way similar to King Aurthur's Carousel.

The reason I chose a dark ride is to allow all audiences a ride. I would hate for little ones to not be able to go on. My initial choice would have been Wild Mouse, but I do not believe in a height check in Fantasyland.
    Last edited by techskip; 07-30-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Gargoyle Fun

I like the idea, but if it did get built you can bet your bee-hind it would be a movie tie-in for Hunchback of Notre Dame. You just can't avoid it.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• I'm not really here

It would be awesome. I love the idea. I like it when they use a movie as a starting point but then take you someplace the movie didn't. So the tour of the tower etc sounds great! I'd love it to be a hanging style ride like Peter Pan, then they could give you that feeling of swinging on the ropes and sliding down the rooftops. I think that could be a lot of fun.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• :)

another dark ride!?

• I'm not really here

Hmm... some sort of hybrid indoor/outdoor slower coaster (ala Gadget Go-Coaster) style ride then?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• WDW CP Spring 2013

I like the idea but what would the story be?

• Oo-de-lally

Thats a great idea. I think it would be really cool. That are is perfect too.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    another dark ride!?
    Similar to Alice, but with more outdoor scenes. Alice is only outdoors for a moment, this would be an honest inside/outside combination. Also the architecture of the various scenes would evoke the Gothic tradition of flying buttresses.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• whatever

Your ride vehicles could be the the gargoyles, and then the speakers on the gargoyles would be your specific gargoyle's narration, depending on which gargoyle ride vehicle you boarded. That would mean that you get a different ride experience each time you ride the attraction, depending on which gargoyle you get, and the gargoyles would have different narrations that point out different aspects of the ride. It would be very cool to see all the giant gears and stuff; it's a excellent idea for a multi-level dark ride, teckskip!

• Senior Minion

Sounds cool to me, along as there's really room for it. It would be cool to put a ride there because I think it would help spread out the crowds. Seems like a pretty good thematic fit for the location too. I also like the indoor, outdoor combination as well as the idea for "flying" vehicles. Maybe in the outdoor section the track sections could be hidden it various things like rockwork, the butresses and fake and real trees which would also create cool things to fly thru when you go outside.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• The line's too long...

I like the idea of another dark ride in FL, you can never have enough dark rides...

I don't see Disney doing a Hunchback tie-in though, the movie just wasn't popular enough, though the ride techskip maps out sounds fun. A Beauty and the Beast dark ride would be superb though.

The Gargoyles' names are Victor (the tall slender one), Hugo (the shorter more robust one), and Laverne (obviously the female of the trio).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I hated Hunchback (my parents made me read the book before I saw the movie and the gargoyles were the worst part of the whole mess for me.). But I like your idea. That area is just... wasted right now.

• Defying gravity

First of all, is there really enough room for a ride in that space? Even with removing the merchandise wagon, it seems like that's really pushing the space factor...almost moving into Frontierland. Also, I wonder how successful an attraction based on The Hunchback of Notre Dame would be? The movie was 12 years ago and it was certainly no Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast. While I'm definately a fan of the classic Disney stories, it seems that everything nowadays must revolve around the latest and greatest Pixar flick...

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    My initial choice would have been Wild Mouse, but I do not believe in a height check in Fantasyland.
    Too bad about the Matterhorn...

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    The Gargoyles' names are Victor (the tall slender one), Hugo (the shorter more robust one), and Laverne (obviously the female of the trio).
    Ya, so maybe their names could be engraved on the back or front of the car like the Snow White or Pinocchio ride vehicles. The ride would also be cool if there were also sections of track that exit the attraction building and go outside, similar to Alice in Wonderland, but themed like Walt Disney's Cartoon, Clock Cleaners, where there are sections of track outside of the building.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast