Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Lightbulb How Would You Fix The Berm Issue At California Adventure?

One of the flaws with California Adventure that has been talked about in various threads on MiceChat is the fact that while being in the park one can still see the "outside world" in many spots throughout the park. Take a ride on California Screamin' or get a lift on Grizzy River Run and one can see hotels, streets, and other non-Disney things.

Part of the pure magic at Disneyland is the fact that one is taken away to many different "lands" without being able to see the everyday man-made things such as those listed in the above paragraph. There's no breaking the illusion of being in the jungle in Adventureland and the like.

With that said what are some of things YOU would do if given the power to fix "the berm issue" at California Adventure? How would you keep the outside world, well, out? Would you demolish California Screamin' and put something else in its place? Would you put very tall fake trees on the sides of the lift for Grizzly River Run to help block a person's view?

Talk, MiceChatters! Let the creativity commence!

- Joe

• Minion

Re: How Would You Fix The Berm Issue At California Adventure?

Doubtful that they could/would do it now but you could sink the park down 50 feet or so. The only problem I can think of is rain water pooling up in there.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

That is one of the things that truly has bothered me at DCA. It adds to the cheap just off the main road look of the park. The Cali Screamin area is the worst side ,hopefully when the new carsland is built in the Timon parking lot consideration will be given and included in the plans will be a bearm or large trees to create a bearm.

• Progressive Disneylander

I don't really see it as an 'issue'. While the standard at Disneyland park is to make sure that guests cannot not see the outside world, that standard didn't necessarily have to transfer over to DCA.

Personally, I love the views from the 3 attractions that give a full view of everything. I always saw that as one of the benefits of those rides.

In Disneyland park, I would be unhappy with such views because that park is, well, magical. It's a 'world' unto itself and while there, I want to feel fully emersed into that special fantasy world that they've created.

But, IMO, not every Disney park needs to have that standard since the non-Magic Kingdom parks in America are all significantly less 'magical'.

• Minion

Now that I've thought about it, why do we need a berm to cover the outside world? DCA is about California and what better way to show California than the real deal?

well when CarsLand gets built the large shiwrooma nd mountain range will create a berm to most of the southern edge of the park. The east side of the park is mostly blocked out of the outside world due to large buildings except for the stairs at Hyperion and that is being looked at.

There is little that can be done to block the view from screamin except to add more scream tubes.

the grizzly rapids view could be easily fixed by adding an enclosed wooden structure over the tallest area of the lift but if you notice the trees have begun to grow quite well. When the park opened you were able to see mot of the lift now most of the lift is hidden behind the tree line. Even the bear sculpture when viewed form certain angles is getting a nice treeline around it.

the west side of the park along the pier area will also be helped by the large canopy of lush trees and structures that will be built for the beer garden. It will not necessarily block the Paradise pier hotel but it will be less obvious when seen from the northern bay area

• Minion

There is just no way of getting around this issue. You have TOT, GRR, and Screamin that all go high and you are able to get some views of the city. Since the Disneyland Resort is located directly in a city, unlike Florida's parks, we don't have the privilege of being able to cover up every single thing. I really don't mind it.
    Jeff Wayne

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I don't really see it as an 'issue'. While the standard at Disneyland park is to make sure that guests cannot not see the outside world, that standard didn't necessarily have to transfer over to DCA.

Personally, I love the views from the 3 attractions that give a full view of everything. I always saw that as one of the benefits of those rides.

In Disneyland park, I would be unhappy with such views because that park is, well, magical. It's a 'world' unto itself and while there, I want to feel fully emersed into that special fantasy world that they've created.

But, IMO, not every Disney park needs to have that standard since the non-Magic Kingdom parks in America are all significantly less 'magical'.

I see your point, but what's the point of a theme park if it isn't to convincingly transport you somewhere else, even if that somewhere else isn't a world of fantasy?

Picture if Disney did a fairly realistic movie set in California, and you could see the edge of the set or the boom (mic) in the shot? That's what a theme park without a berm is like .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Minion

Berm, Baby, Berm

• WDW CP Spring 2013

This would look very cheap, but for California Screamin', a huge sky backdrop could be placed against it, like the one currently used for the Hyperion.

• out & about

How Would You Fix The Berm Issue At California Adventure?...

...BUILD ONE.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

get the park a bubble. ive been insisting on this for ever.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    How Would You Fix The Berm Issue At California Adventure?...

...BUILD ONE.
    How naive.

Micechatters don't actually DO anything (about the parks).

They just imagine and emote how every thing would be better if Disney just did it their way or didn't do it the way that they object to.

At least they could contribute their savings from their AP's (where applicable) to fund these proposals.

• The one, the only...

I think that a bern was the secret design element that has kept Disneyland popular for over 50 and kept DCA a dog of all Disney parks in the USA.

Can a bern be installed now? Well, it would be hard but still possible. It would have cost so much less if they just did it right to begin with.

What would need to be done is a wall would have to be built around the parameter. Then vines or very tall trees, like Cyprus, would need to be installed next to it to soften the look. Rides would have to be carefully designed not to be too high to prevent viewing of the outside world. If a ride needed to be taller, then the foundation would need to be lower. Only tall attractions should be placed in the center of the park. The edges could be filled with enclosed attractions, just as POTC, HM, and Indiana Jones, are enclosed attractions at the edges of Disneyland.

It is possible to create a bern, but much more difficult now that mistakes have been made and Disney is unwilling to rip out and rebuild.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• "I Break Things"

Oddly, there were and still are, places in Disneyland where you can see the outside, without even trying too hard! I'm sorry, but when you put someone that high up you really can't avoid showing them the "outside world" unless you want a fully enclosed ride, or a fully enclosed park.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast