Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: How about an actual California-themed ride in DCA?

Wow, I hadn't realized that.. but it's defintely true. There hasn't been a truly california
    themed ride since DCA opened. And there aren't too many CA themed rides/attractions
    to begin w/. :-(

I remember in another thread suggested that one way to revive
    DCA is to use Historical (and mythical) California. It would take money, but not as
    much as completely redoing/retheming DCA to be something else.

• insufferable know-it-all

I think a version of Western River Expedition, incorporating themes like the California Gold Rush and earthquakes, would be a great addition to DCA, and open up the potential for a great restaurant (in place of Blue Bayou), as well as the potential to have another attraction intersect with it at some point (no idea what, perhaps a gold rush type rollercoaster, if that's not borrowing too much from Knotts), would really help suck up the people and make the park visit-worthy.

DCA really does lack anything on the scale of Pirates. Soarin' I'd rank somewhere on the HISTA scale, along with Muppets, and to a much lesser extent, Golden Dreams. Sure Muppets has some AA's, and it is entertaining, but it's a SHOW, not a RIDE.

The problem is, if it's built without the heart of Pirates (eg: a love of the myth and character potential rather than an attempt to portray anything remotely realistic, or worse, some simpering "isn't california great" theme), it'll fall flat. Can today's Disney build the attraction right? I don't know any more.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I think a version of Western River Expedition, incorporating themes like the California Gold Rush and earthquakes, would be a great addition to DCA, and open up the potential for a great restaurant (in place of Blue Bayou), as well as the potential to have another attraction intersect with it at some point (no idea what, perhaps a gold rush type rollercoaster, if that's not borrowing too much from Knotts), would really help suck up the people and make the park visit-worthy.

DCA really does lack anything on the scale of Pirates. Soarin' I'd rank somewhere on the HISTA scale, along with Muppets, and to a much lesser extent, Golden Dreams. Sure Muppets has some AA's, and it is entertaining, but it's a SHOW, not a RIDE.

The problem is, if it's built without the heart of Pirates (eg: a love of the myth and character potential rather than an attempt to portray anything remotely realistic, or worse, some simpering "isn't california great" theme), it'll fall flat. Can today's Disney build the attraction right? I don't know any more.
    I agree that WRE would be great, but I doubt that they'll do the rollercoaster as
    that's basically BTMRR (unless they can think of a way to differentiate it).

As to the question "can today's Disney build the attraction right?" I don't think we
    have to look any further than TDR to say that the answer is "yes". Unfortunately, the
    really haven't been much evidence of that domestically recently.

• The one, the only...

The problem with DCA is "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup" complex. Everyone has a different belief of what it is supposed to be. Is it a "postcard" of California giving a sampling of different tourist attractions around the state? Is it a celebration of the history and culture of the state? Is it just the cheapest park that can be put together from "off-the-shelf" attractions that have nothing in common?

It is like a bad movie with too many directors. Parts are good but the total story is confusing and unsatisfying. No great work of art was ever put together by a committee. To accomplish something great, there needs to be one director, painter, or composer.

Disneyland was put together with ONE director, Walt Disney. He had a total vision for the scope and plan of the park. DCA is just a hodgepodge of different ideas from different sources thrown together, hoping that some will be liked.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Putting a California themed ride into DCA seems too logical. If they did, then I think Eisner's head might explode (which isn't a bad thing, but think of the mess)

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    The problem with DCA is "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup" complex. Everyone has a different belief of what it is supposed to be. Is it a "postcard" of California giving a sampling of different tourist attractions around the state? Is it a celebration of the history and culture of the state? Is it just the cheapest park that can be put together from "off-the-shelf" attractions that have nothing in common?

It is like a bad movie with too many directors. Parts are good but the total story is confusing and unsatisfying. No great work of art was ever put together by a committee. To accomplish something great, there needs to be one director, painter, or composer.

Disneyland was put together with ONE director, Walt Disney. He had a total vision for the scope and plan of the park. DCA is just a hodgepodge of different ideas from different sources thrown together, hoping that some will be liked.
    I just re-checked this thread after a few days and I must say I LOVE this post, JiminyCricketFan! Beautifully worded! I never thought of DCA in quite this way before. "A bad movie with too many directors." I love it!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Wow, I hadn't realized that.. but it's defintely true. There hasn't been a truly california
    themed ride since DCA opened
    Well, an original ride, no. But I do think that ToT is a very strong CA thematic fit, as it is the HOLLYWOOD Tower Hotel. And I believe that ToT was one of those "plans waiting in the wings" when DCA opened. But there HAS to have been more...

I really think that the Route 66 area should go, to be replaced by the San Francisco Bay idea. And you wouldn't need to destroy Mulholland Madness. How perfect would that ride be themed to San Francisco? Enclose it in a showbuilding, and make it very well themed inside. The curvy part would be Lombard Street ( The "crookedest street in the world" for those who don't know) and the drops could be the hills of San Francisco. Maybe add some AA figures in the beginning (as you go up the lift hill) and at the end, because I think those are the only times that you are going by slow enough to really see them. Theme the outside building with the SF skyline maybe? And retheme your cars as cable cars.
    Then to complete this area, get rid of the orange ( I like the suggestion of moving it to Bug's Land- it would fit perfectly there.) and move the Golden Zephyr to where the Orange used to be, and have Paradise Pier start there. Demolish the Dino and Pizza Oom Mow Mow, and have more buildings there. Maybe a little bay with AA seals barking on rocks? Pier 39? I don't know about the Jellyfish. Maybe move it to the Screamin' area of Paradise Pier, where it would be near Triton's Carousel and Ariel's Grotto and could fit with the seaside theme. Comments? Could this work?

• My prices are INSANE!

I always thought that the lagoon needed the Ballagio dancing waters treatment. It would give the area the potential for a cool night time show without the hassle of smoke from heavy pyro use, like before.

Or maybe install a wave machine then call it Surf City USA instead of Santa Cruz and Huntington beach.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I really think that the Route 66 area should go, to be replaced by the San Francisco Bay idea. And you wouldn't need to destroy Mulholland Madness. How perfect would that ride be themed to San Francisco? Enclose it in a showbuilding, and make it very well themed inside. The curvy part would be Lombard Street ( The "crookedest street in the world" for those who don't know) and the drops could be the hills of San Francisco. Maybe add some AA figures in the beginning (as you go up the lift hill) and at the end, because I think those are the only times that you are going by slow enough to really see them. Theme the outside building with the SF skyline maybe? And retheme your cars as cable cars.
    Then to complete this area, get rid of the orange ( I like the suggestion of moving it to Bug's Land- it would fit perfectly there.) and move the Golden Zephyr to where the Orange used to be, and have Paradise Pier start there. Demolish the Dino and Pizza Oom Mow Mow, and have more buildings there. Maybe a little bay with AA seals barking on rocks? Pier 39? I don't know about the Jellyfish. Maybe move it to the Screamin' area of Paradise Pier, where it would be near Triton's Carousel and Ariel's Grotto and could fit with the seaside theme. Comments? Could this work?
    Fantastic ideas! I never thought of MM as San Francisco but its a perfect fit! Orange Stonger in Bug's Land...inspired!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

How about an actual California-themed ride in DCA?
    How bout they put a 'good ride" in DCA? LOL

Wow, this segment is amazing. My grandparents went to DCA the winter that it opened. It was downpour, so they, like today, had the park to themselves. They are huge historians of the Sacramento Valley, dressing up like a bank robber, or a gunfighter and giving historical tours through Old Sacramento.

Their problem with DCA was the lack of history and the lack of Northern California. They felt, like I do, that when Walt built Disneyland, it was more a teaching tool as it was an entertaining tool. This would have been a perfect chance to teach people the history of California, and yes, there's a lot to pull from.

Their biggest problem was the fact that the Gold Rush wasn't even mentioned except in a movie that nobody really goes and sees. Hollywood Backlot, in their opinion, was done before, and Disney didn't exactly do it better. The theming in the whole park sucked, except for one area. There is one area that they deamed mediocre, while the rest was C-R-A..well, you get the idea.

Redwood Creek adventure area and the Grizzly rapids is probably the best themed area. Too bad they can't put some real red woods in there and make the place a huge shady area. Maybe even a nice restaurant would be nice, themed like that of Magic Mountain's.

For me, I like the layout of the Monterey area. It's calming, but lacking. The area is well themed, but lacks rides, and most of all, people. Bug's Life, the farm area, Hollywood Backlot, and the Pier area, for me, blows. Which is a word harsher than sucks.

Disney tried to make it a learning tool, but the learning parts are boring, and the few rides that actually get anybody excited, are few and far between.

So until they do something with it, my grandparents will stick to Disneyland. Yours truely will go to DCA only when my little family needs a break, and my little one needs to see Bear and Jojo. Retheming will get me in the gates, but a well themed park will keep me there.

I think one of the reasons that DCA hasn't had any California themed rides since it opened is the fact that they've only had clones of other rides (TOT) or low budget rides (Bug's land, Monster's) due to the low attendence all throughout the park's history. The fat-cats at DCA haven't or couldn't fork out the money from their budget to add an ORIGINAL E-ticket attraction since the park opened. The exception would be if they installed the Cars ride (or anything of that nature) but if they also add it to WDW within a few years afterwards then we know that they were just making another ride to have at more than one park.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by fencinbenson
    I think one of the reasons that DCA hasn't had any California themed rides since it opened is the fact that they've only had clones of other rides (TOT) or low budget rides (Bug's land, Monster's) due to the low attendence all throughout the park's history. The fat-cats at DCA haven't or couldn't fork out the money from their budget to add an ORIGINAL E-ticket attraction since the park opened. The exception would be if they installed the Cars ride (or anything of that nature) but if they also add it to WDW within a few years afterwards then we know that they were just making another ride to have at more than one park.
    Hey, DL hasn't had a new e-ticket ride since Indy in 1989! Your expectations about new E-ticket rides is very high, and probably unreasonable. DCA has added one new E-ticket in ToT (agreed, it is not original within Disney), and, as you noted, has plans for Cars. I agree that they need more, and they will in time. I would like to see something along the lines of Indy or POTC at DCA. Blaming the faceless "fat cats" isn't fair. Things are happening at DCA.

• My Children's Father

Indy came in 1995. Splash was 1989. Rocket Rods was probably "envisioned" as an E-ticket, but obviously that vision was blurry.

Disneyland has not received any new E-Tickets since that time because of DCA's construction, and greater need (aka sparse crowds) for E-tickets.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Indy came in 1995. Splash was 1989. Rocket Rods was probably "envisioned" as an E-ticket, but obviously that vision was blurry.

Disneyland has not received any new E-Tickets since that time because of DCA's construction, and greater need (aka sparse crowds) for E-tickets.
    I stand corrected. Thanks. I think my point is still valid - expecting a new E-ticket every couple years is unreasonable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast