• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Trans Fat free in DL and DLR hotels?

I just read yesterday the california Gov. has signed a Law stating No Resteraunt in California cannot serve food that has been cooked in Trans fat oils

now what comes to mind is..
    I am not sure if DL has switched yet to trans fat free foods yet, but I guess they will due to state law.
    Or are they not effected by state law?
    and do you think some of the food served right now in DL will have a change in taste or anything?

• Goofy

Re: Trans Fat free in DL and DLR hotels?

It will probably taste the same.

• Disney Geek

Just as long as the churros don't change

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    I just read yesterday the california Gov. has signed a Law stating No Resteraunt in California cannot serve food that has been cooked in Trans fat oils

now what comes to mind is..
    I am not sure if DL has switched yet to trans fat free foods yet, but I guess they will due to state law.
    Or are they not effected by state law?
    and do you think some of the food served right now in DL will have a change in taste or anything?

I don't know if they got rid of trans fat completely yet but last year they stopped offering my favorite ice cream because of the trans fat. It was the Nestle Toll House Ice Cream sandwich (Two chocolate chip cookies with ice cream in the middle). But they brought it back this summer and I looked on the wrapper and....0 trans fat!! I think it tastes the same!

My best score ever!

• A Weather Eye Open

i'm sure they're going to be affected by the law, but i bet it'll taste the same.
    when trans fats first started being used in food, they were originally a replacement for other fats that everyone thought were pretty bad (ie, crisco replaces lard, margarine replaces butter). turns out the trans fats were even worse and caused heart disease, they just didn't have the science to know that yet. so i don't think that trans fats are really superior in taste; they're just what everybody ended up using.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

The thing about trans-fat is it's a solid fat and was intended as an alternative to saturated fats. Solid fats improve the quality of things like pie crust, crackers and cookies by making them less crumbly (shortening), and (I think) is more stable when used for frying (partially-hydrogenated oils). A caveat: the law allows for trans-fat quanties less than 0.5g in a (standardized by assorted regulations, presumably) "serving" to be labeled as 0g. So it's better to think of things as having "less" trans fat rather than "zero". Just look for the key-word "hydrogenated".

Didn't DL start to phase out trans fats a year or two ago? Or was it WDW?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Disney announced in Oct. 2006 that the parks and resorts would be trans fat free by the end of 2007. I don't know who or what organization would be able to verify that, but based on the 2006 announcement--and the fact that we're half-way through 2008--I would guess that the parks and hotels are mostly trans fat free by now. Maybe there's a few products lingering due to contractual obligations, but I'm guessing the policy is mostly in effect.

The Disney nutritional changes press release was easily found on Disney.com by searching for "trans fat". Nice to see the website working effectively for once.