• =)

Question The REAL Haunted Mansion

Hey all. On doombuggies.com, there's a photograph of a real Baltimore mansion that looks extremely similar to the Haunted Mansion facade at DL. It's on this page, a little ways down and on the left of the main text area. I'd really like to know the name of this mansion and find out more about it, but all I've found is that the photo was "from Frances Lichten's 1950 collection which was found in the WDI library." I know the mansion is in Baltimore, too. Check out that page to see if you recognize it or catch anything I didn't.

I'm awaiting a reply from the Disney company about the same query. Any help I can get would be appreciated muchly! Thanks for your time.

• =)

Re: The REAL Haunted Mansion

106 views and not a single reply...tsk tsk tsk. Anyone?

• Minion FOREVER!

Sorry, did a little creative googling, but didn't find anything. But there should be
    someone from Baltimore or familiar w/ their real estate here. Unfortunately, I've
    only been to Baltimore once.

• Kirbyshowcase.com

it says on the page its called "Evergreen House" and its at hopkins University. then when u click this link it gives u info on it. http://www.jhu.edu/%7Eevrgreen/evergreen.html what more do u need?
    (insert funny comment here)

^^That's not the one he's talking about. This is what he's talking about:

And no, that's not a doctored photo of OUR mansion...
    Last edited by goldenstate5; 08-27-2005 at 01:25 AM.

• =)

Goldenstate5 is right, although the picture in the post doesn't show up. I'm talking about the one that looks extremely similar to the DL mansion facade. It's missing the rear wing, some of the ironwork is slightly different, and the cupola is four-sided, but it's hard to tell the difference. The Evergreen House is in the Greek Revival style, but no one would mistake it for our Haunted Mansion. Check that page again, and look for two pictures side by side. The one on the right is an ink illustration of a mansion much like the one at WDW, and the one on the left is the photo I'm talking about.

So, anyone from Baltimore recognize this mansion?

• All you need is LOVE

I love the HM......

Umm...okay. I guess I should tell you that it is the photo next to the drawing of WDW's mansion...am I not allowed to post pics?...I mean...I doubt Doombuggies cares...

EDIT: Here's the URL:

http://doombuggies.com/images/histor...an_mansion.gif

EDIT #2: Well...uh...now the picture is back up. I'm very confused now.

There isn't much to go on.

The info that Doombuggies provides is probably about as thoroughly researched as anyone could on the Haunted Mansion. If you can't find the info about "the REAL Haunted Mansion" there, it is going to take a whole lot of leg work.

Good luck.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• =)

Well, I'm just hoping someone out there will recognize it...

Of course, that mansion may have been demolished since then. So perhaps no one would recognize it anyway.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Yeah, DoomBuggies.com is probably as thorough as it gets when it comes to the HM. Where DoomBuggies is light on the info, most others don't have any info at all. My suggestion is to contact Chef Mayhem, the creator of the site. He may be hard to get ahold of because I'm sure he gets a lot of inqueries but its worth a shot. He's also on Myspace now so you can try getting ahold of him there as well: www.myspace.com/doombuggies

Good luck!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

yes, dont think doombuggies researched that very well, I was born in New Orleans and lived there for a good portion of my life and i visit twice a year. Now being that i lived there, thats were i always thought they got the insparation of the HM. pretty much every old big house looks exactly like that, EXACTLY. But wat i have heard and believe is that HM was made after the Belfort Masnion which was the house to Real World New Orleans
    pshhh i guess

• Minion

The Evergreen House at JHU in Baltimore was the major influence for the INTERIOR of the Haunted Mansion, a fact that Doombuggies.com left out. I was always confused by that, as they look nothing like each other. The exterior is a nearly exact replica of a real mansion, Stanton Hall in Natchez, MS - minus the veranda and New Orleans-style ironwork.

GG

• Minion

Also, there is a graveyard in Baltimore that was the inspiration for the Mansion's Graveyard scene. I believe it's the one located on the corners of Belair Rd and Frankford Ave, but I'm not certain... It could be one on Moravia Rd, as the crypts there are identical to those in the Haunted Mansion...

GG

• Disneyland Freak

That' funny you can take tours inside the real Evergreen Mansion... I'm sure it's not a Ghost Host though
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!