• A Suitcase & A Dream

Attraction Evolution

We are just a couple of short years away from the 55th anniversary of Disneyland, and during the past five decades the park and it's attractions have evolved greatly since the park opened. My question is how will the "classic" attractions evolve with time as technology is rapidly changing how we experience attractions. The Fantasyland dark rides, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise...etc have stood the test of time so far but will they still pack the same punch twenty years from now? I don't want everything to become virtual like Midway Mania the Imagineers will eventually have to update these attractions to keep them fresh for new audiences and still keep the integrity of the original attraction, kids are growing up in a very different world and expect a bit more than we did. It would be wrong for us to want to keep the park forever trapped in one time period with ageing attractions that are always the same.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Re: Attraction Evolution

Oooo, good topic. I hope the Imagineers let attractions age with integrity and care. They won't ever be outdated, just a little more classic. The Jungle Cruise is ever changing, and the fantasyland dark rides are tyhe foundation of Disneyland. Eventually, things will be removed, and Disneyland won't have an original attraction left. That's just how things are...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Senior Minion

Kids are still and I think will always be thrilled and enthralled by the older attractions, but small technological upgrades that don't change the theme, and enhance the existing concept are always welcome in my eyes. I think upgrades to lighting, special effects, adding music, and things are great when they just make the original experience more vibrant.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

Well, when speakers are 20+ years old, it's definitely time to replace them. When bulbs are getting old, time to take a refurb and put in more energy efficient LED lighting where applicable. Etc.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Jungle has gone through many changes, and it will either continue to change and evolve or it will cease to exist. I honestly think the main draw is still the physical world. You are outside on a real boat in a real jungle floating on a real river of water. They could do a lot to enhance the AA's, possibly enhance the boats to be more interactive as well. Ultimately it is the basics, outside in the real world.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Golden State of Mind

tear them all down!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Defying gravity

Have you seen the lines for Peter Pan everyday, day or night? I don't think we have anything to worry about...

• Banned User

How about putting in real AAs in Fantasyland dark rides? I don't think everything has to be changed to AAs, but some of the more 2D, cardboard looking characters/scenes could certainly be upgraded.

Probably the best way of updatint attractions would be to use improved visual/auditory effects technology to make existing scenes more realistic and/or effective. You maintain the integrity of the rides while jazzing up the "WOW factor" by using today's technology.

• =)

I hope attractions will be continually improved in very, very tasteful ways. Updating simply to keep them "fresh" is like making modifications to the Mona Lisa every twenty years just to make sure it doesn't become outdated. The difference is, of course, that the Mona Lisa is finished, whereas Walt wanted Disneyland to never be finished. But no change can be justified solely by that desire. It's gotta improve the experience.

the fantasyland dark rides are tyhe foundation of Disneyland.
    That's news to me!

• Rock Star Minion

They could turn the Fantasyland dark rides into one attraction, connecting all of the tracks. (Have fun with the Peter Pan portion!)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They could turn the Fantasyland dark rides into one attraction, connecting all of the tracks. (Have fun with the Peter Pan portion!)
    And good luck getting back and forth between show buildings. Do I smell a brief salute to the Skyway?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    How about putting in real AAs in Fantasyland dark rides? I don't think everything has to be changed to AAs, but some of the more 2D, cardboard looking characters/scenes could certainly be upgraded.
    But that's the best part of the Fantasyland dark rides!

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

you mean DE-EVOLUTION since 1968, post Walt and the Mansion, its been all down hill and oddly the same can be said for the rest of the world, since the moon landing in December of 69 the whole u.s. has gone down hill... hmmmm

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Attraction Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    My question is how will the "classic" attractions evolve with time as technology is rapidly changing how we experience attractions. The Fantasyland dark rides, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise...etc have stood the test of time so far but will they still pack the same punch twenty years from now? I don't want everything to become virtual like Midway Mania...
    Remember, Midway Mania will look 'dated' in 20 years - just like the ride technology of Star Tours looks 'dated' now. The Muppetvision 3-D technology is (20 years!) old - but it plays to children, so it is 'young' and new to its audience.

The dark rides are shrouded in nostalgia; they are 'new' to the young kids who ride them for the first time (scared out of their wits), they are loved by the kids who ride them every time they come to Disneyland, and they are remembered fondly by parents who bring their own children to the Park and introduce them to their favorite childhood rides...

A "Classic Attraction" is measured after the fact; as long as a few 'fresh surprises' are added to the old attractions - without stripping the original content or 'reinventing the wheel' - these rides will endure for ages.

Astro Blasters? Midway Mania? Soarin' Over California? It remains to be seen if they will be put in the "Classic" category - yet. We've all seen 'fun' rides that have been closed because the Fun Factor (or the desire to re-ride the attraction) was relatively low...

I hope attractions will be continually improved in very, very tasteful ways. Updating simply to keep them "fresh" is like making modifications to the Mona Lisa every twenty years just to make sure it doesn't become outdated. The difference is, of course, that the Mona Lisa is finished, whereas Walt wanted Disneyland to never be finished. But no change can be justified solely by that desire. It's gotta improve the experience.
    Well said Datameister!!
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...