Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Uncle Bob's Disneyland Resort Expansion Plan

I wanted to add a few points that were inspired by the commentary that was generated in response to Kevin Yee's Miceage article from today, well, yesterday now technically. Anyway, if you haven't read it, the article talked about whether or not the Disney Hotels at WDW were worth the price, compared to staying off-property. The article is an interesting read, but the commentary was fascinating, and I highly recommend you read it, especially if you're planning a trip to WDW.

What really struck me was how many people so eloquently described the benefits of staying on property, and how enjoyable their vacations were because of it. It only strengthened by belief that this plan is a good idea. In fact, I was actually surprised how so many of the features that people really appreciated, were factors that were a big part of my plan for DLR. In some ways, it actually made me think that my plan was much better than even I realized.

If this type of thing interests you, I recommend you read that thread, and see what you think. Many people stress how they enjoy many things about WDW that are central to my plan for DLR, they include:

Feeling “at Disney” their whole trip and the unique Disney experiences. Having the option to go back to the room during the day and relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel and just feeling relaxed the whole trip. Having access to good, and particularly the unique, transportation options, which add to the experience, save time, enable park hopping and most importantly, allow guests to NOT HAVE TO GET IN A CAR their whole vacation. (I have to stress that, as it was tremendously appreciated by many posters, and a huge part of my ideas as well.) People especially loved when they could just walk to things as well. They also really appreciated the variety of dinning, shopping and other entertainment. All of these are things that I focused on providing in my plan.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

can your people movers look like THIS?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    can your people movers look like THIS?

I don't know, they look a little expensive, are you going to want royalties too?

I suppose they could work, but wouldn't it make sense for the more futuristic and fun version to go in TL, and a more practical version designed for transport?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

I don't know, they look a little expensive, are you going to want royalties too?

I suppose they could work, but wouldn't it make sense for the more futuristic and fun version to go in TL, and a more practical version designed for transport?
    ...yeah I suppose... but only because Tomorrowland should have some contrast to the normal ones!...but a "more practical" design? pfft ..since DOSH is all crazy about the window crap they'll have to all be enclosed and the best style to make an enclosed peoplemover would be a pod like the one I drew...but a less fun design?...hmmmm...maybe just the same shape as the ones in my concept but in a color scheme like the Mark V monorails? as opposed to the new TL PM's from me that were made to look like the Mark VII's.. boring enough for ya?! jk

• Senior Minion

I'm just thinking there's going to need to be a lot of trains and the round parts, lighting, and other features would probably make these pretty expensive. Perhaps ones like the old ones, but slightly bigger, more modern looking, and enclosed. I guess a lot would depend on the manufacturing process.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm just thinking there's going to need to be a lot of trains and the round parts, lighting, and other features would probably make these pretty expensive. Perhaps ones like the old ones, but slightly bigger, more modern looking, and enclosed. I guess a lot would depend on the manufacturing process.
    hmmm, I'll get to work!

• Imagineer In Training

80.7 miles from the happiest place on earth.

Great ideas uncle bob. However, I think the PM should seat 4 across and be open with a roof. With all of the problems with the new monorails and A/C, I think the simplest would be open-air.

Another thing, do you have any idea what is on the inside of the L of the AGW? Could that be room for more expansion?

I think a Hollywood Tower Hotel (Pre-twilight zone) would work as a hotel somewhere in the resort, but somewhere not too close to ToT...

• Fancy that...

ok...a very rounded rectangle shape would work..also they should be pretty large compared to the old ones and if AC won't be paid for and we can hardly open the windows in an enclosed cabin...there can be a bunch of air scoops and for lighting, flourecent might work or some sort of energy efficient lighting source..also the outside can be white-ish silver with pin stripes of different colors (ala Mark V monorails but MUCH more futuristic looking)

• Imagineer In Training

80.7 miles from the happiest place on earth.

Maybe a new hotel could be built on the inside of the L/top of the Mickey and friends parking structure to make it look nicer for the DTD expansion? I know a common complaint is that the monster of a parking structure itsnt exactly the prettiest thing...A thick wall of concrete and soundproofing would be needed, but a single layer of rooms could work.

If anyone is concerned about the capacity of the peoplemover system, here's something you should know - the original peoplemover cars of disneyland were only 5/8 scale to the cars that Walt wanted to use for EPCOT (his plan for a city of the future). This means that real peoplemovers that would be used for transportation would have been larger and had more capacity. Each car would have gone from only 4 passengers to 6 or 7 in each car.

I didn't just make up this 5/8 thing either; here it is said in its original context in Walt's original EPCOT video. It's stated about 2:30 into the video. (This video is not the whole EPCOT film.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

• Senior Minion

There would be too many issues with fire seperations, core drilling for plumbing, structural concerns, for it to be practical to put another use like hotel rooms on top of the parking garage, if that's what you're saying. It would have had to been designed to be this way, or it likely wouldn't be feasible.

I agree, about the PM, it may be wiser to make them open and just have metal lattice, like on the Sun Wheel if DOSH requires it. If they could be totally open like the old ones, that would be best, but I don't know if it would be allowed, which is really stupid by the way.

In regard to a "Hollywood Hotel", the architectural style I am proposing for the new DLH would actually have many simmilar elements, but just have a slightly more modern feel.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBNfauF6IHc...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBNfauF6IHc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love the Peoplemover

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    I love the Peoplemover
    wow, thanks for such great insight; man, don't you ever have constructive comments! ... and yeah i love the Peoplmover too!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

What a wonderful and well thought out plan!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    wow, thanks for such great insight; man, don't you ever have constructive comments! ... and yeah i love the Peoplmover too!

I can't help but be infatuated with the peoplemover and it's "never stop" awesomeness

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast