View Poll Results: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces shop Closing?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will be missed.

102 72.34%
  • I never shopped there.

30 21.28%
  • I never noticed the place.

9 6.38%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces Closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    In my opinion that's due in large part to the fact that the quality of their merchandise is not near what it used to be.

That, plus from what I understand watch sales in general have slumped in recent years as more and more people use their blackberries and raspberries and gooseberries and such to determine the time of day.

Of course I could be wrong too.

-- Barry
    The derogatory term you use for a BlackBerry is a "CrackBerry" - GET IT RIGHT!! For everyday use it's a lot easier to grab my Palm Treo and go, rather than bring a plain cellphone, and put on a watch, and grab a notepad, and a calendar, and my Laptop, and a digital camera, and a voice recorder, and...

And yes, the merchandise offerings at NCTP have slipped severely over the last few years - the only real 'Exclusive' they have is the art watches, and they aren't cheap.

And they are selling everything in the store at Full List or even a bit more which can't help - people who are shopping for high ticket items like a watch usually know what the items should cost, and most of what NCTP carries now is available through retail channels (Target, Wal-Mart, eBay, etc.) for a whole lot less.

(The folks Mfgr. Repped Costume Jewelry & Accessories for a whole lotta years, so through osmosis I kind of notice these things.)

If they want to kick-start sales, start selling things there that people want to buy, and don't try to charge too much over the "Street Price". People will pay a modest premium for an exclusive, but not usury for a commodity item.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Senior Minion

Overall, merchandise at the park continues to go from an asset to an embarrassment.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

That, plus from what I understand watch sales in general have slumped in recent years as more and more people use their blackberries and raspberries and gooseberries and such to determine the time of day.
    Barry, you're absolutely right. Watch sales have been dropping steadily since handheld electronics (mobile phones, smartphones, pda's) have taken hold. Personally, I haven't worn a watch in over a year--I check my cellphone for the time. Prior to that I collected character watches for as long as I can remember.

I'll miss New Century--I did love looking around in there--but I understand why Disney is closing it. I doubt sales were worth the space the store was taking up.

I did enjoy stopping in too. For my 30th birthday my family treated me to a watch in NCTP. While I love their artist drawn watches the prices were just too much. I settled for one of the pocket watches.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    SOOOOOOO, instead of having one specific area that carries all watches, clocks, ect, they are just going to take the watches out, and make it more of a disorganized extended portion of the emporium?

UGGGGG, the emporium is already too big of a mess the way it's organized DISorgarnized already! THEY NEED to keep things organized, and by having different "shops" with different merchandise, makes it easier to find the type of merchandise your looking for.

At the same time, it give the charm that Main Street NEEDS to maintain!
    Magic Shop, Music shop, Crystal Shop, Ice Cream shop, etc. Keep the unique stores on Main!

Whose brain thought of this idea ~ if its the practically useless president of Disneyland, maybe it's time for a replacement.
    My setiments exactly. I know I've purchased at least one watch from the shop if not two. It currently is wonderfully laid out, and it has always been fun to see the artist on duty making the miniature characters for the inset. Maybe the watches haven't been moving as fast lately, but to cut that shop out to stick in a conglomeration of whatever is just plain stupid.

Are we SURE Eisener left?

BTW - In spite of my iphone and other gadgets, I own several watches and I plan on purchasing many more in the future.

If they fired the rocket scientist who came up with this idea tomorrow, it would not be too soon.

I suppose they'll take down the large timepiece clock outside as well. Just give me a name. WHOOOO came up with this idea???

I'm really ticked.

Pun intended.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 07-29-2008 at 10:38 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i bought my husband one of the limited edition of 200 Haunted Mansion watches from there for his birthday last year...glad to hear the custom watches will return, i have semi-plans for something for our 15th wedding anniversay in 2010
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• "I Break Things"

I always wanted a custom watch, but I could never justify the cost. While I love Jungle (that would have been my watch), some things IMO are not worth the pricetag. I will miss the shop, but I thought of it more as a museum then anything else. It held amazing merchandise that collected dust as the registers sat silent and unused.

And I do not have a cellphone, hate wearing a watch, and don't own a blackberry... but I know a RadioBarry who knows more then most sports radio programs!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

In my opinion that's due in large part to the fact that the quality of their merchandise is not near what it used to be.

Of course I could be wrong too.

-- Barry
    Yeah, at Knott's you're required to use boysenberries.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Well, Disneyland just feeds that guest attitude by making them think that they can get whatever they want at any shop in the park. In the long ago past, merchandise was pretty much land specific. People understood that if they wanted a Frontierland item, they would find it in Frontierland. The same for merchandise from the other lands. If they got to the end of the day and decided they wanted something, they knew where they would find it.

The fact that all the stores carry pretty much the same merchandise actually makes it MORE difficult for the guests to find what they want. Now they have to go to almost every shop in the park because the item they are looking for MIGHT be there.

Anyway, if anyone gives you flak about the merchandise at closing time, tell them to go to World of Disney in Downtown Disney.
    World of Disney has been my best spoken words while working

• Cast Member

The Emporium isn't losing the custom artisan watches. They are just cramming them temporarily with New Century Jewelry.

I think someone mentioned that the stores especially on Main Street aren't as unique anymore. I agree, but part of that is the fact that most guests are just lazy. This is not merely an end of the night phenomenon. Merchandise operations is partly catering to our lazier and lazier guests. Many a time I've also pointed out a certain item was located somewhere not in the Emporium and the person balked at the idea of going somewhere else. Even if it was simply across the street at say Clothiers, let alone another land. People need to stop thinking of the Emporium as the shop that has *everything* because it really doesn't.

I was told as a rumor that as vague as the idea the "Fortuosity Shop" has so far, it's concept was to be more of like a re-imagining of the old "One of a Kind" shop from New Orleans Square's past. This was as far back as at least six months ago.

So if that were true, that kind of flies in the face of all the sameness we've been seeing at Disneyland over the years. We will have to see in the beginning of October to know for sure.

Lastly, the New Century Timepieces shop had somewhat nice watches to see and all, but they are in a similar boat as is the Disneyana shop is in that their existence/profit is more or less tied to how many big ticket items they sell versus the few regular items that virtually everyone could afford from those particular shops.

If they have a good week and someone buys a Whittnauer or two it shows quickly, otherwise there isn't much to speak of from that shop at all, profitwise. There aren't enough sales from the peggable watches and other non-ticket items to make anyone notice.

I know, I see the reports.

Bye.

I am currently working with 8 twenty-something people and out of them only 1 wears a watch. The rest all carry their cell phone to use as a chronometer.
    Matthew

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    I am currently working with 8 twenty-something people and out of them only 1 wears a watch. The rest all carry their cell phone to use as a chronometer.
    Bah. I work at a college and I get 30 kids a day asking me what time it is.

Don't these people have to be anywhere on TIME? What professional people, i.e. lawyers, real estate agents, brokers....don't use watches anymore? Sure...a blackberry will tell you what time it is, but not as quickly as a watch. You have to dig it out first.

My wrist feels naked without a watch. On days when I leave it at home by accident, I feel like my world is veering out of control.

Different strokes, I guess. In my department, 25 out of 25 wear a watch regularly. I'll keep my eye out now for those who don't.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I actually don't normally wear a watch - I sometimes do, until the battery runs out, then I never get a battery for that particular watch. When I get another watch, I do the same.

I usually look at my phone for the time, and the battery rarely dies.

That said - I love the New Century Timepiece shop, and am sorry it is leaving.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Closed Account

Ah, it's a time for mourning when we trade in our marvels of miniature mechanisms for the cold, lifeless LCD screen. Kids today will soon have no clue how to tell time without an understanding of the passionate relationship between minute hand and hour hand as they imperceptibly dance their way around the dial. With the demise of the watch, time will cease to move; it will merely blink.

If I had my druthers, I'd wear my 1919 Hamilton 992 railroad pocket watch; lever set, Montgomery dial, 21 jewels. The laptop of its day. A marvel of horology. It keeps great time, and is nearly 100 years old. It can be serviced, and will be passed down to my sons. With care, it will be passed down to their progeny. That's what you do with watches.

Not so your cell phone or Blackberry; which will be nothing more than toxic detritus in a landfill in but a few years.

My analog Timex given to me by my wife as a birthday gift suffices for most occasions today, owing to its waterproofness and Indiglo, but I love breaking out my automatic watches now and again, with their balance wheel visible in the front, spinning hypnotically around and around, its bright gold plating glinting in the light. The hair spring expanding and contracting, giving the watch the illusion life as it appears to breath. Its virtually perpetual motion is intriguing in its own way. They never need winding nor do they require batteries. The ultimate in "green" technology. The back case is glass, and the movement is visible. It's a hell of a lot more interesting to watch than the dead circuit board that powers a cell phone or blackberry.

Time was, when you retired, you were presented with a gold watch; a symbol of time spent being productive and fruitful, and to remind us of the pleasant times to come. Bestowing an impending retiree with a Blackberry would only serve to remind one of the stress of the job; the grind, the fact that when using one, there was no such thing as "quitting time." No such thing as "vacation." No such thing as "life."

Ah, it's a sad day, truly. Time, I suppose, marches on; not to the rhythm of the verge and folio; however, but to the deathly silent movement of electrons.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 07-30-2008 at 09:12 AM.

i've always wondered how much the custom watches cost, does anyone know the price range??

Curiouser and curiouser...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast