View Poll Results: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces shop Closing?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will be missed.

102 72.34%
  • I never shopped there.

30 21.28%
  • I never noticed the place.

9 6.38%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces Closing?

This makes me kind of sad. This was always one of my favorite shops, though I could never afford anything here. I loved the old time feel it lent to the street (a watchmaker was a must in any town). And I have always been fascinated by watches and the incredibly small mechanisms that drive them with such amazing precision. It is truly an artform, and then you add to that the art of Disney and you have a really amazing item. Watching the face of your watch being drawn by hand was always really fun to do.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Having an Unbirthday

From the brief blurb I read earlier this week, this new "Fortuosity" shop is going to carry items similar to those found in Vault 28 in Downtown Disney?

If this is true, I'll probably never set foot in the place. Vault 28 is filled with overpriced, badly manufactured "couture" items that are meant to bilk tourists. (not that Disney isn't already well versed in that regard) I think it's a loss to shut down New Century for this.
    I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

I will certainly miss it. I wear a watch every day. And I can say rather than just looking around, I have bought many many watches from this store over the years.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Though I personally find timepieces fascinating, I can understand the store's dwindling popularity. I think it a shame that another original concept storefront is biting the dust--hoping it will be replaced by a different shop offering unique goods for sale.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Steve's post really made me want to get my watch fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Holy P**P I can't believe that the shop is closing! I was more worried about the original art watch pieces as I currently am waiting for mine to get finished. such a shame that they are removing the store... it's always been a treat to watch the artists work on time pieces and drawing such beautiful characters from scratch.

<3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Tach View Post
    From the brief blurb I read earlier this week, this new "Fortuosity" shop is going to carry items similar to those found in Vault 28 in Downtown Disney?

If this is true, I'll probably never set foot in the place. Vault 28 is filled with overpriced, badly manufactured "couture" items that are meant to bilk tourists. (not that Disney isn't already well versed in that regard) I think it's a loss to shut down New Century for this.

Have I mentioned before, How much

I HATE

Vault 28

I agree that I am sorry to see it close, but clearly the profits don't warrent it. If Disney kept stores and other things that didn't turn profits, eventually our beloved Disneyland would close. Out of all the poeple here who say they wear watches, how many bought it from that shop? I know we are all bummed to see it go, but we aren't shopping there enough to keep it.

What are the "custom" watches? How custom do they get?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post

My wrist feels naked without a watch. On days when I leave it at home by accident, I feel like my world is veering out of control.
    Sorry, I'm slightly off topic here...

For what it's worth, I agree with you - then again, while I have a cellphone it's for emergencies ONLY and I've yet to send my first text message...

"If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do...
    Is to save every day like a treasure and then, again I would spend them with you..." - Jim Croce

"Youre obsolete my baby
    My poor old-fashioned baby
    I said baby, baby, baby you're out of time"

-- The Rolling Stones
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I'm not really here

I, like Mac Daddy, feel naked without my watch on.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey&Me View Post
    I agree that I am sorry to see it close, but clearly the profits don't warrant it. If Disney kept stores and other things that didn't turn profits, eventually our beloved Disneyland would close. Out of all the people here who say they wear watches, how many bought it from that shop? I know we are all bummed to see it go, but we aren't shopping there enough to keep it.

What are the "custom" watches? How custom do they get?
    The watches are actually a piece of artwork in themselves. The artist will draw just about any Disney character in the movie/story setting (the idea/image must be approved by Disney) and then painted in monochrome, two tone or full color on 12"x12" (or so) piece of paper. Once the guest has approved the proof, they take the image and resize it to become a watch face. You get to choose your metal style (gold silver, etc), band and number style as well.

The great part of this is that both the watch and artwork can be framed by Disney for the guest to showcase at home. Since I don't wear a watch, and never have, this is what I chose to do with my time piece.

Heck, the only time I have ever worn a watch was a cheap pocket watch attached to my chef's coat. Worked great until I took of my coat with the thing still attached and washed it... never really worked after that...
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Whow Steve, you captured all of my thoughts on the subject in yr post. Excellent, excellent wordsmithin'; prolly the best I've seen on this forum!

• It's all about Theme!

I didn't hear. Why is is closing?? I was just at the parks and they say it will reopen and that it is just under refurb.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Closed Account

Thanks, Karen!

• Resident of the Caldera

It's a sad sad day any time one of the unique shops on Main Street closes. The Main Street Cinema, Magic Shop, and Penny Arcade are only hanging on by the tiniest of threads.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast