View Poll Results: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces shop Closing?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will be missed.

102 72.34%
  • I never shopped there.

30 21.28%
  • I never noticed the place.

9 6.38%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Re: How do you feel about The New Century Timepieces Closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    It's a sad sad day any time one of the unique shops on Main Street closes. The Main Street Cinema, Magic Shop, and Penny Arcade are only hanging on by the tiniest of threads.
    Penny makes sooo much money for the parks, the thread can't be so thin for it! The magic shop is also still not that thin.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

I for one have purchased 2 pocket watches there in the last 10 years. Not a lot but enough for me to miss the chance to make it 3.
    Matthew

• Cast Member

I don't get it.

Maybe I don't have to either.

I'm hardly the shill for DL merchandise operations(even though I play a role in it), but until we see for a fact what the new shop is really going to be, I will reserve my thoughts.

You guys are all deserve to yell or thumb your nose at DL if they just plop some crappy shop that's a version of Vault 28 or something worthless. But that's hardly what I've heard.

"One of a kind shop".

If that's what is the essence of the new shop, then that's everything you guys ever wanted in a store. Uniqueness.

It's not like they are getting rid of the artisan watch program. How much room does it REALLY need if they can cram it in the silly Pop Up Gallery.

So where is all this "hate" really directed to?

Bye.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I don't get it.

Maybe I don't have to either.

I'm hardly the shill for DL merchandise operations(even though I play a role in it), but until we see for a fact what the new shop is really going to be, I will reserve my thoughts.
    Okay, but this is more of a pre-emptive "We know something's up - please don't mess it up - again" type grumbling.

Not that they've ever messed up before, mind you. (I'll refrain from listing them to allow the dead horses their eternal rest.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You guys are all deserve to yell or thumb your nose at DL if they just plop some crappy shop that's a version of Vault 28 or something worthless. But that's hardly what I've heard.

"One of a kind shop".

If that's what is the essence of the new shop, then that's everything you guys ever wanted in a store. Uniqueness.

It's not like they are getting rid of the artisan watch program. How much room does it REALLY need if they can cram it in the silly Pop Up Gallery.

So where is all this "hate" really directed to?
    At the Middle Managers who have to constanly increase sales at every location, regardless. So they reduce selection and quality, and eliminate expensive custom made items they have to order in large quantities and stock for years. All in an effort to maximize the gross sales per square foot, at the detriment of the overall experience.

It's another WWWD thing - At the beginning they looked at the overall profits, because weithout computerized cash registers and spreadsheets they couldn't and didn't try to break it down to every CM's and every locations' contribution to the bottom line. Now that they can, it gets micro-managed ruthlessly.

From the Bean Counter's view, Disney is spending WAY too much on support services like Custodial - they bring in no profits at all, they use up a lot of expensive materials and water, they are a total drain. Cut the hours by three-quarters, bring in an outside vendor - never mind that they can't control the quality of the workers that way, nobody will ever notice the difference because they never interact with a lowly busser or sweeper... Only hose down the streets once a month, wash the windows every six months instead of every night...

And restaurants are much more expensive to run than ODV Carts - So put out a ton more carts, close all the restaurants and make everyone buy their lunch from carts.

Yeah, that'll work.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I'm not really here

Micromanagement is the bane of all that is good in this world. Bruce, you said it beautifully and with such a great tongue-in-cheek quality. Thanks for that post.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I am totally bummed by this news. I collect watches and clocks and it was a place I always shopped at. Even just looking around was fun. Excuse me but Wet-Donald-Looking-Out-Of-A-Porthole needs a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyEla View Post
    i've always wondered how much the custom watches cost, does anyone know the price range??
    I haven't seen an answer to this yet, so here goes. A full color one of a kind watch will run you $500 and comes with the original full size artwork featured on your watch signed by the artist. You can get it framed by Disney, but that will cost you extra. Shipping is also added on if you will not be able to pick up the watch within the next few weeks.

The monochrome one of a kind watches run around $300 or so(I think).

All one of a kind watches mean that there will not be another watch produced like the one you bought.

They also have some $250 limited edition full color watches that come with high quality replicas of the original artwork.

You can also get the watch framed with the artwork, though that would likely make it hard to wear.

While I liked New Century Timepieces, I don't feel like we're losing anything because the watches will continue to be sold within the park and the real selling point, the artisan watch program, will continue in a new location. And it's not like the old location itself was a locale like the old Disney Gallery.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Wow, this really makes me sad. I've collected character watches and especially Disney for years. This was always one of my favorite spots in DL. I think it's a GREAT loss for Mainstreet. Not only the uniqueness of the shop... but think about how well it fit with the "theming". Fine timepieces were a big deal in the early 20th century; every Main Street in Anytown, U.S.A. had a watch shop. The fact that DL actually had a "real" watch store was always so cool.

The "Mickey Mouse watch" is an American icon. It deserves it's own store!
    --Jonathan

I'm not really too bummed about it, since Disney hasn't really carried good watches for over 10 years. It used to be that when you walked into a Disney store or one of the parks, you would buy 3 or 4 watches. Now, it's a challenge finding one that you'd actually think about picking up. It doesn't surprise me at all that the watch shop suffered for it.

Some of the decisions that Disney makes just make no sense at all.

• Done waiting!!

Eh, I agree with whoever said the shop was becoming a museum. Plus the biggest draw was the custom watches and that's going to stay. Also the replacement shop sounds intriguing so like my policy with Small World, I'm waiting until I see it before I pass judgement.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• www.derailedmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    SOOOOOOO, instead of having one specific area that carries all watches, clocks, ect, they are just going to take the watches out, and make it more of a disorganized extended portion of the emporium?

UGGGGG, the emporium is already too big of a mess the way it's organized DISorgarnized already! THEY NEED to keep things organized, and by having different "shops" with different merchandise, makes it easier to find the type of merchandise your looking for.

At the same time, it give the charm that Main Street NEEDS to maintain!
    Magic Shop, Music shop, Crystal Shop, Ice Cream shop, etc. Keep the unique stores on Main!

Whose brain thought of this idea ~ if its the practically useless president of Disneyland, maybe it's time for a replacement.
    Sounds like they're going for the Costco "Treasure Hunt" approach. Keep things disorganized so you spend more time in the store and end up buying stuff you otherwise wouldn't have. As for them closing New Century Timepieces, stoopid, just plain stoopid.
    "What's the use in mining nose gold if I can't share it with the townspeople?!?"

Chris Griffin -
    Family Guy

• The one and only

awwwwwww. i just noticed that shop last october, and was planning on going back.

oh well, i guess ill have to go to the emporium.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

More room for cheap plastic and plush junk made cheap in china using toxic chemicals and with a BIG profit margin for the greedy Disney co.....

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Buy n Large, it’s your superstore
    We got, all you need, and so much more…

Happiness is what we sell
    That’s why, everyone loves B n L...

- Buy n Large Jingle, 2115, Wall-e

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Bummer.
    I've had a couple a custom art pieces/watches done there over the years. I've always felt that NCT was a quiet respite from the insanity that ruled in so many shops on Main Street.

Maybe if they hadn't charged so much freakin' money for their watches they wouldn't be going teets up.

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast