• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

A question about Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Was Sleeping Beautys castle always called 'Sleeping Beauty's Castle'? The reason I'm asking is because I noticed the other day that Sleeping Beauty came out in 1959.. 4 years AFTER Disneyland opened.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: A question about Sleeping Beauty's Castle

I believe it was, it was built partially to hype up the movie

but i would trust someone else a little more, they probably can give a more concrete answer.

• Rather Be At Disneyland

I think it was originally going to be called Snow White's castle, but then it was named Sleeping Beauty's castle because that movie was the next to come out. Like krystledm said, i'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who might have more information.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

it was always there, of course, but walt refferred to it as "snow white's castle".

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Umm... it's not Sleeping Beauty's Castle. It's Sleeping Beauty Castle. There's no 's after the "Beauty".

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Umm... it's not Sleeping Beauty's Castle. It's Sleeping Beauty Castle. There's no 's after the "Beauty".

I was totally thinking that! Ha! Anyway, originally, it was going to be Snow White Castle, hence the Wishing Well to the side, but then the Castle became a bit of a Synergy advertisement for the upcoming film. And thus it was to become Sleeping Beauty Castle.

• Queen Elsa

This doesn't have any thing to do with the castle but my question is.

Why do people call Princess Aurora Sleeping Beauty when it isn't her name. Sleeping Beauty is the name of the movie. You don't hear people call Ariel Little Mermaid or Belle Beauty but you hear alot of people calling Aurora Sleeping Beauty. Every time I hear people calling Aurora that I just grind my teeth together and get very angery when I hear that name and I always have to clear it up that that's not her name it's the name of the movie. So why is it that people call her Sleeping Beauty?

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    This doesn't have any thing to do with the castle but my question is.

Why do people call Princess Aurora Sleeping Beauty when it isn't her name. Sleeping Beauty is the name of the movie. You don't hear people call Ariel Little Mermaid or Belle Beauty but you hear alot of people calling Aurora Sleeping Beauty. Every time I hear people calling Aurora that I just grind my teeth together and get very angery when I hear that name and I always have to clear it up that that's not her name it's the name of the movie. So why is it that people call her Sleeping Beauty?

that's the last thing to get upset over

Little kids do it and it just sticks with you. and kids do call belle beauty and ariel the little mermaid...it's eaiser to remember then specific names when your little.

• =)

Yup, Walt used it to promote his upcoming classic-to-be. Kinda like It's Tough to Be a Bug opening at WDW before A Bug's Life hit theaters, only in a less explicit way.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    Actually, they do. You're apparently just not around to hear it. It's really such a minor thing, it's really nothing to get upset about it. Especially since you're not her, nor her defender. Really, it's just a case of learning to deal with it, and move on.

• Queen Elsa

I'm sorry but when I hear it even where I work It just drives me crazy to hear that name.

• Halloween 2011

There's an article by Wade Sampson on Mouseplanet describing the Walkthrough and how it came to be. http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=ww080723ws

Here's the relevant paragraph to the Castle name:
    The castle wasn’t specifically designed to be Sleeping Beauty’s castle. In early planning and written material, it is designated as “The Medieval Castle” and then “Fantasyland Castle” and even “Robin Hood Castle” to theme in with the Disney live action film. This may explain why some of Robin’s merry men hung out in front of the castle in the early years. On his weekly television program In December 1954, Walt himself even referred to the castle as “Snow White’s Castle.”