Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Post Disneyland Earthquake - My Story [Pictures Added]

Mods i really want this to be a separate thread from the other earthquake thread bc it's about my story.

As most of you already know, yesterday at around 11:45 AM, a large 5.8 earthquake happened at Disneyland and a large area around it.

This caused a little chaos in the park that i witnessed and i'm here to tell you the complete story.

Also note: Indiana Jones is down for an unknown amount of time. It remained closed for the whole day, and possibly days to come.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entering the park, having no clue what was to come on that day.

We entered the park at around 8:10 AM and immediately hit Splash Mountain, then Haunted Mansion. We were sad that Indiana Jones was down, lol. Right when we get there and the park opens a ride is already down!! WE're like NOOO. Okay anyways...so yeah we keep riding rides until me and my brother couldn't find anything else to do (we didn't want to wait a ridiculous time for the dark rides that were barely 2 minutes long). So we're walking in Frontierland and notice the mark twain just docked (possibly for it's first voyage). So everyone got on (including us). Oops i forgot, our parents dropped us off so they're not at the park at all. So yeah the Mark Twain began to Make it's circle around tom sawyer's island/pirates layer. Once we were practically all the way around, we felt a slight rumble. Mind you we were in water. At first i thought we hit a rock or something, and me and my brother were joking about it. But then, it lasted for a LONG time (like 30 seconds) so i thought it was just a normal engine procedure. Nobody on the boat noticed anything. However, when i looked into tom sawyer's island, i noticed this lady that lost her balance and grabbed on to a rock, and these other girls started screaming like crazy. At that point i didn't know what to think, but i just forgot about the whole thing.

We got off the boat at 11:50 and decided to go back to Tomorrowland to use our fast passes. Frontierland was VERY calm. At this point i had completely forgot about the rumble incident and for all i knew, nothing happened. Then i go to tomorrowland and omg. The whole land was a mosh pit. We could only take one step per two seconds. People were all squished because EVERY RIDE SHUT DOWN ALL AT ONCE. I was like omg what happened? I began worrying that a bomb went off or something (you would think that by the way people were acting). So i go up to this ice cream guy and ask him what is giong on. He said an earthquake hit and all the rides have shut down until further notice.

Angry crowds surround cast members

WHAT??? I WAS SO CONFUSED but then i remember the rumble on the mark twain and everything began making sense. So we go up to the Space Mountain ride manager, fighting our way through the thickest crowd i've ever seen, and she said that it could take a half hour. A half hour later she says it could take a few hours. At that point i was considering going home, it was ridiculous. Everyone in the park was forced to cram in the streets while all the rides were comlpetely evacuated. This is summer people, and when we're all in a tight place, we barely fit at Disneyland!

People were standing around, wondering what they were supposed to do.

We decided to use our park hopper and see how California Adventures was taking it. Every single ride except for the Pixar dark rides was closed. And the only thing that didn't have an hour+ wait was muppets 3D. That was the first time me and my brother were entertained for 2 hours. Then, having absolutely NOTHING else to do at DCA, we left to go back to Disneyland.

Bored out of my mind in Disneyland, I decide to take a picture of my brother's glasses revealing a picture of Sleeping Beauty Castle. O_o... This picture was taken about 20 minutes after the earth quake. Don't pay any attention to the freak with the cell phone at the bottom left corner.

A lot of rides were still closed but we were happy to see that they began opening up (Matterhorn being the first, and the line wait spoke for itself). Splash mountain was also re-opened VERY quickly. So quickly that I never saw it closed down. However, people were still not satisfied (and neither was I). There was a huge line outside of City Hall of people demanding their money back. I can honestly say that by 12 AM midnight I had my money's worth.

So basically, we had to wonder around aimlesly for 3 hours of our 16 hour visit. Not fun. By 4 PM all rides were brought back open again (besides indiana jones which is having some major issue). The park continued to run normally for the rest of the day. If you got there at 4 PM you would think that nothing ever happened.

I was also pleased to hear that the night time shows were not canceled. However, Tinkerbell did not make an appearance for the fireworks. The line that she flies on is possibly damaged/unchecked since the event.

End of Fireworks Intro 8/29/08. Where is tinkerbell?

I EXPERIENCED AN EARTHQUAKE AT DISNEYLAND YAYY!!

oh and one more thing, it was so hilarious seeing people react. I heard everything from "THEY'RE CHECKING PEOPLE FOR BOMBS" to "THEY'RE GONNA CLOSE THE WHOLE PARK!"

LOL!!!
    Last edited by Goover; 07-30-2008 at 03:01 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Re: Disneyland Earthquake - My Story

wish I was there but glad I wasn't there with the family! I just had the pleasure of watching several co-workers freak out in an office building! Oh and welcome to Micechat.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thank you, i joined so i could share my experience. Also sorry for the bad grammer/punctuation. I typed this really fast and it was originally on another forum.

Thanks for posting your story, and welcome to MC. Since you were on the Mark Twain when the quake hit, did you notice anything unusual about the water? Any waves, sloshing, mini-tsunami on Tom Sawyer (oh, excuse me, Pirate) Island, things like that?
    okerry

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great report from the inside!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Thanks for posting your experience. DLand during a quake: The ultimate Southern California experience. Could have used you reporting on CNN. The reporter who was at the Park on vacation gave a report and it was pitifull. (Or maybe he just needed to change his shorts...)

Quote Originally Posted by okerry View Post
    Thanks for posting your story, and welcome to MC. Since you were on the Mark Twain when the quake hit, did you notice anything unusual about the water? Any waves, sloshing, mini-tsunami on Tom Sawyer (oh, excuse me, Pirate) Island, things like that?
    okerry
    Being on the top floor, it was not natural for me to bend myself in order to see the water. Remember the idea of an earthquake happening was the last thing in my mind. It was especially difficult to see the water from my point of view because we were so close to the island (which was on my side of the boat).

• =)

Thanks for the TR! Glad everyone was safe.

But...where are the photos?

The only camera we had was my brother's phone. They were just pictures of the mass mobs in tomorrowland and random people in ride lines (???). I don't know how to show these on the computer sorry i'm sure there are other way more proffessional pictures of this day out there. But really, there was not much to see. Just imagine a huge, very angry, mosh pit in disneyland.

it was actually quite funny seeing this family, sitting on the ground next to the moving ball. It looked like they were getting ready for an aftershock hehe.

• =)

Aw, that's too bad. =/

•   
    • Senior Minion

Great TR! It was great hearing about it from a guest's point of view.

Welcome to MiceChat and thanks for the inside report.

• I'm not really here

Welcome to MiceChat and thanks so much for sharing your story. If the Mark Twain wasn't on a track you wouldn't have felt a thing which REALLY would have had you confused.

I can't even imagine the chaos that would cause in City Hall. Wow, brave souls to work there yesterday and survive.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Great TR, thanks for sharing. Welcome to Micechat!

Pictures added!

Sorry, not too many pictures. But this should give you an idea !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast