Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Armchair Imagineering: How would you change an existing ride?

Wide open subject....we all have favorite rides, and many in Disneyland are near perfect, but my question is this...how would you tweak a favorite of yours? Specific scenes, replacements, queue, soundtrack, figures....anything. Use your imagination!

For me, the Haunted Mansion is near perfect...the scenes and figures are all amazing, and the right blend of spooky and silly. I have some ideas though for changes and improvements...

THE QUEUE

I am in favor of a spookier, slightly wilder looking queue area..past the gates, passing a small, slightly murky pond, as depicted in a few pieces of concept art for the ride and movie, with eerie lights or faces inside that would vanish and appear quickly, a blink and you'll miss it type effect. The modern front pet cemetery would be gone, and the wall behind it and the switchbacks...you'd pass instead into a large open masoleum, statues, cracking urns, and a few crypts about, one of the end crypts cracked open slightly and skeletal footprints coming from it, like a similar display at Tokyo Disneyland's Mansion. From the masoleum exit, out onto the grassy grounds once more and up the stairs into the normal entry hall.

INTERIOR

The stretching room and portrait hall would be left intact, until rounding the corner to the load area, where the themeing would continue with a large staircase backed by windows showing dead trees and lightning outside, flanked by tables with two more of the staring busts. The doombuggies would wind up an actual staircase into the Corridor of Doors.

CORRIDOR OF DOORS

The scenery and sound design would all remain the same, but added in blasts of cold air sporadically throughout the area, and the animated wallpaper eye effect as you enter the hall currently in use at Disneyworld, as well as the addition of some of the sinister eleven portraits such as the sea captain and the witch of walpurgis.

The ride would progress as normal from here, until reaching the attic, which would be lit much darker and be home to several old friends, the axe-wielding bride moved on to another plane. One old pop up head would be reinstated at the start, with loud original scream, and the piano player would still be there, before reaching on one side, the dark faced, beating heart bride, and across from her, the Hatbox Ghost, brought back at last.

Out the window, you'd fall down past the trees and stars, to find all the trees now have more subtle, skull like faces, lit dimly blue, and on into the graveyard, the same as always and still brilliant, for the rest of the ride.

Thoughts and comments are welcome, and please share your own improvements for the rides and shows of your choice!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: Armchair Imagineering: How would you change an existing ride?

I would make the Matterhorn ride go higher up on the mountain (near the top).

I wouldn't add more openings though. It would be inside. (that would mean getting rid of the basketball court).

Also, i would put drops where the water falls are.

That would be awesome .

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

FINDING NEMO SUMBARINE VOYAGE
    The plan: Take out the NEMO storyline. Make it an adventure through liquid space again. Offer guests the latest breakthrough in under-water robotics for believable creatures and sea life. It'd basically be the same thing as it always was but BETTER. And yes, Atlantis will still be a part of it.

I'd also keep some of the projections but more in the background... and digitally project high definition images of real fish swimming around. Guests would actually believe that there's real fish in the water!

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR ASTRO BLASTERS
    The Plan: Take out any notion that this is a toy world. Make this an adventure with the REAL Buzz Lightyear.... just as he was in the beginning of Toy Story 2.

The queue would need an update and resemble the level of detail and quality of Star Tours' queue. Buzz would have a real screen (not an etch-a-sketch) behind him in the queue for even more cool stuff.

The loading area would be more like Space Mountain with a control area and but instead of people, animatronic space aliens at the helm.

The start and end of the ride would be through worm hole tunnels before you make it back to base and the targets you shoot will be more threatening and realistic but in the safe family way. It would be a REAL adventure with a real story sending guests into Zurg's fortress and walking out victorious.

Those are the two that I believe are in most need of enhancements to be superior attractions.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR ASTRO BLASTERS
    The Plan: Take out any notion that this is a toy world. Make this an adventure with the REAL Buzz Lightyear.... just as he was in the beginning of Toy Story 2.

The queue would need an update and resemble the level of detail and quality of Star Tours' queue. Buzz would have a real screen (not an etch-a-sketch) behind him in the queue for even more cool stuff.

The loading area would be more like Space Mountain with a control area and but instead of people, animatronic space aliens at the helm.

The start and end of the ride would be through worm hole tunnels before you make it back to base and the targets you shoot will be more threatening and realistic but in the safe family way. It would be a REAL adventure with a real story sending guests into Zurg's fortress and walking out victorious.

Those are the two that I believe are in most need of enhancements to be superior attractions.
    I like the Buzz Lightyear idea a lot...would make a excellent ride and great themeing, I totally agree with you on this one Cohete.

• Collision speed....FULL!

MATTERHORN

I have an idea of making the old bobsled ride seem more like, well, a bobsled ride.

When the Matterhorn was updated in the 1980's, the Matterhorn was given a full interior, as of course, Harold. I was looking at some videos of the Matterhorn and, I noticed that the snow and ice theming was a little weak, and the actual ice and in the Matterhorn is only in the very core of the Matterhorn, the rest is rock colored. That is somewhat a problem, real bobsleds run on snow, not rock! So adding some snow banks along the length of the track would give the ride some accuracy.

Now here is the neat part of my Matterhorn idea. For the first third, or even half of the ride, the Matterhorn is enclosed. That means some of the views from the heights are taken away, but it creates a more thrilling ride by careening through perilous ice caverns; let me explain. By having it enclosed, you get a sense of the mountain being larger;

Imagine, you are in a bobsled, racing through caves, lit with deep blue LED crystals, stalagmites, and stalagtites ; thousands of sharp pointy icicles meet you at every turn; the constant howl of the wind and the yeti almost deafen your ears; cold blizzard wind hits you in the face as you careen through curves and drops narrowly missing ice bridges; you can also hear the sound of the the blades of the bobsled rushing through the ice and snow (real bobsleds have blades right, not wheels?); soon, you come out of the mountain and into the sun, see some views and the final abominable Snowman , and then the splashdown.

So in a way, it would be like taking the ice comets bit from Star Tours and putting it in the Matterhorn.

BTW, this was originally posted in this thread

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I would take every classic attraction and cram as many Disney characters into them as possible. Who hasn't wished the Bride in the Haunted Mansion was Princess Aurora? Wouldn't you like to see Goofy floating around every turn on Space Mountain? Wouldn't the Jungle Cruise be better if Timon and Pumbaa spouted wisecracks in every scene?

There, I'm officially qualified to work for Disney
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Fancy that...

oooo, good thread, I'll post some ideas later...can't right now.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    I would take every classic attraction and cram as many Disney characters into them as possible. Who hasn't wished the Bride in the Haunted Mansion was Princess Aurora? Wouldn't you like to see Goofy floating around every turn on Space Mountain? Wouldn't the Jungle Cruise be better if Timon and Pumbaa spouted wisecracks in every scene?

There, I'm officially qualified to work for Disney
    I am glad you are joking here...I am pretty sure for everyone around here, that's the stuff of nightmares heh

• Disney Geek

I would love to change Star Tours. There have been many ideas in other threads that sound great. I would basically replace the old film for a new one that is in HD or 3D.

• Higitus Figitus

tell me if you like this or not:

making a part of the jungle cruise be like the ant hill scene from Indy 4.
    Indy, Mutt, and Marion trying to creep around the ants back into the jeep.
    it would also be cool if you could see this little scene from the IJA queue.

another idea that i thought was really good was making the bobsleds climb farther up the matterhorn. itd be neat to whisk over the side of the mountain and see all of disneyland
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Member of Baxter's Army

I have some rather detailed plans for POTC which I hope to implement when I am in WDI if anyone would like to hear them.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    I am glad you are joking here...I am pretty sure for everyone around here, that's the stuff of nightmares heh
    Never underestimate the power of a well placed fart joke!

As to my changes... they're floating around on a variety of threads. The one I would love to see if the Jungle one, but there are others as well... Big Thunder Trail was another sticking point I had.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by SwordintheStone View Post
    another idea that i thought was really good was making the bobsleds climb farther up the matterhorn. itd be neat to whisk over the side of the mountain and see all of disneyland
    Wow, that's an intriguing thought! As with all such changes, I'm sure it would be prohibitively expensive, but I love the idea of actually cresting the peak of the Matterhorn and being able to see the whole park from there before you careen downward.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The only add-on to the Matterhorn I'd do is to make it frickin cold in there!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fancy that...

I'd give the Matterhorn a new Abominable Snowman, he would still be white but his face, body shape, and movements would be greatly improved. His face would be more ape like and realistic instead of the current cartoony one and it would be able to open its mouth an overall move around a lot more. I just want Harold to be a bit less hokey and more scary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast