Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Save DCA by lancing off the Grand Californian

One complaint about adding great new rides to DCA is "Where's the room?" And I agree. The park has been squeezed in and it results in little room for expansion and traffic problems on the Pier. At this point it seems the only way to add to DCA is remove something else. At that rate the park can never really get off the ground because it will have the same problems of not having enough attractions. So I offer a solution. The one thing we can remove in order to add a plethera of space.

Move the Grand Californian Hotel to their unused land which keeps starting the 3rd Gate rumor. I'm sure if you have been inside the Grand Californian or seen pictures, you realize this hotel takes up plenty of room with its many dining options, it's rooms, and the pool area and gym. This Hotel takes up about the same amount of space as the Hollywood Backlot portion of the park.

With that chunk of property open, DCA now has room to expand Condor Flats, Grizzly Peak (or whatever the forest section is), AND Paradise pier. Or you could add a new land. Maybe a historic area. Gold Rush era themed. Boom towns against the backdrop of the Grizzly Peak and an old San Fransisco waterfront against the background of Paradise Pier. Maybe a Chinatown area of the park, because of the fact Chineese immigration helped build California.

As regards to expansion, I have come up with ideas to expand from existing lands. A dueling coaster with a dogfight theme for Condor Flats.

An off-roading through california autopia ride where guests drive through the moutains of Calico, the Redwood Forest, the Crystal Caverns, the Snow Covered Sierra Nevadas, and a grand finale in Yosemite Valley complete with AA animals.

Under the Off-Road Adventure you would find a underground showroom hosting a pirates-type ride with Old West theming.

Paradise Pier can add Rockin' Rollercoaster or perhaps some sort of underwater adventure ride.

Even with these 4 new attractions, there should still be room to fit a nice restraunt for that corner of the park. This would allow you to turn some of the other larger restraunts in the park into attractions as well.

So we now have that Great Hotel sitting all far away. What do we do with that? We start a process of building other hotels on the same property. The moving of this hotel as with the building of others should be adequate time to assemble a monorail track from the sepperated property to the parks. When the hotels and monorail are finished, the current hotels can be taken down to make way for a third park. A water park in the theme of Neverland Island or Pirates or The Little Mermaid? Or a new attraction-based park with a villian theme or a Pixar theme (so they will stop cluttering up the other parks with miss-theming) or an Epcot West.

With the hotels down the street, Disney would have Downtown Disney acting as this central Hub to three amazing parks. And even without the whole relocation plan, just move The Grand Californian and a wealth of oppertunity is now possible at DCA.

• No bacon; sausage.

Re: Save DCA by lancing off the Grand Californian

There is more than enough room for expansion as-is. The plan has always been to slowly encompass what's left of the original parking lot. The combined area of DCA as it currently stands + the rest of the parking lot is a larger area than Disneyland.

• Reaver of Souls

And as much room as that would give you, they'll never move the GC. It's too popular, too expensive, and the best located of any of the DLR hotels. It's a good idea, and your park addition concepts are good, but GC isn't the way to go...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• oh bugger

I think the Grand Californian is a beautiful hotel and a really nice addition to the DLR. Not only is it a huge high scale hotel that holds hundreds of premium paying guests but it is right in the heart of downtown disney.

This idea would never happen. If anything you'd be making more money for Disney by taking out Paradise Pier and encompassing the SE corner of the parking lot and put another hotel there... but that isn't going to happen, nor should it happen.

The park has a lot of space to grow, that SE corner as well as a relatively large section in between DCA and the pool area of the Grand Californian. Take an aeriel view off one of those providers, google, yahoo, whoever.

Before DCA expands it needs to fix the space it is already using anyway.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

With the massive amount of space remaining to expand into along with buildings that are either empty or have something that could be replaced very soon, having room for expansion isn't the problem yet...the problem is actually expanding...and I hesitate to think of the hundreds of millions of dollars it would cost to move the GCH.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Sock Puppet

Didn't they put more money into the GC than they did DCA?

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by 100th Dalmation
    Didn't they put more money into the GC than they did DCA?
    Probably. And it shows. GC is simply beautiful.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Rock Star Minion

Regarding the expansion into "Lion King" parking lot:
    1. Jim Hill claimed about a year ago or so that DIS did not own some of the parking lot land (nor some of DCA's footprint). and that DIS has long-term leases.
    2. Someone here claimed that Disney does own that land.

Anyone want to break the tie, maybe with a source?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Expansion and renovation can be planned at the same time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

It seems to me that there is a lot of unused space in DCA...I think they should put country bears in one of the empty buildings!! It would fit in great!!! (ok I'll start ducking the tomatoes now!)

• Still wants to be a cat!

Wouldn't it be kinda hard to "move" the GCH? LOL!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Back home :-(

I highly doubt that they'd ever get rid of the GCH. It's waay too much of a cash cow (well, judging by how much I'm spending! ) and like Wolfy said, how do you move a hotel like that? Not easily if at all...

The room is there - especially if you look at how spread out everything is compared to DL where everything's jam packed in. Money's the issue - with the 50th diverting most of the Resort's money, as it should be - there simply isn't enough money to work on fixing DCA let alone expand it.

• Mexihick, y'all

Yeah, you're nuts. GCH is not and SHOULD NOT go anywhere.

• The one, the only...

I also agree that the GCH was a money making decision that really took some prime land away from DCA. It really could have been done better, to allow more room for DCA and still have a nice hotel near it.

I know that they will not spend the money to "move" GCH anywhere. Now I do think that they could encroach on it a bit to get a little more room for DCA. That still is highly unlikely at this point.

I think we will have to live with that bad decision for a while.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Regarding the expansion into "Lion King" parking lot:
    1. Jim Hill claimed about a year ago or so that DIS did not own some of the parking lot land (nor some of DCA's footprint). and that DIS has long-term leases.
    2. Someone here claimed that Disney does own that land.

Anyone want to break the tie, maybe with a source?
    I remeber hearing people that have said things counter to what Mr Hill says

I don't hold Jim in that high of a regard as a source he doesn't have a good track record with being correct on these things and I'd swear half the time he makes them up

now I have been one to make this comparison before but it's worth showing again...

some large parts of the Timon Lot were origionaly hotels before the DLR expansion

2004: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...isneyland%7cCA

1995: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...isneyland%7cCA

click back and forth and watch as hotels dissappear

I find it rather suspcious that some nice sized piece of the Timon lot WEREN'T part of the origional parking lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast