Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Bringing LIFE to Tomorrowland

OK, during my last visit to DLR (see my post http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...nd-101237.html) I took note of Tomorrowland and what had changed since I was there in 2000. The Rocket Rods are gone, thankfully (I always liked the People Mover), the Buzz Lightyear ride had moved in, and the subs were back (YAY!).

I found myself looking at Tomorrowland and thinking, "Gee, they really need to bring more of a futuristic feel to this area than what they currently have." In reading a few posts about Tomorrowland, it looks like there is going to be some work done on the area. Well, I'm here to give my "wannabe Imagineer" thoughts on what should be done.

FIRST, what to do about the People Mover/Rocket Rods track. If they are going to use the track, I would strongly discourage the revisiting of a fast ride like Rocket Rods. Disneyland was built for families, and a fast ride leaves out the littlest ones in the family. I suggest bringing back the People Mover, but in a slightly different and updated form.

Currently there is a GREAT potential for themeing the ride to the current movie, WALL-E. In that show, as I'm sure you all know, the humans have become quite large and don't get around much on their own. Why not center the People Mover around that concept (realizing of course that not everyone is pleasantly plump). The trains could be "driven" by an AA robot from the movie that narrates the sights the People Mover passes. (Check out the way they get around in the pic below; Is that a people mover?)

There could really be some clever dialog and fun, new scenes in it. Scenes to keep would be, Star Tours, Star Trader, and Space Mountain. Some scenes to add would be a view inside the Inoventions building, maybe a scene from WALL-E, and a view of Astro Blasters. I heard rumblings that Tron 2 is in the works. Add a new chase scene to the tunnel.

I think it could be REALLY fun, and would go PERFECTLY with the Tomorrowland theme.

SECOND, I noticed a general lack of colorful movement in Tomorrowland. Maybe I'm wrong and just didn't see it, but I just didn't notice much in the way of futuristic lighting and signage. It all seemed pretty static and present day. It needs more movement and more color. Something like this scene from WALL-E but scaled back a little.

I like the current retro feel of Tomorrowland, but I would add more technology to it overall.

My main suggestion for this idea would be to get rid of the current murals that are on the Star Tours and Astro Blasters buildings, and replace them with giant LED screens much like the billboards in Vegas. Think of the potential! They could:
    • Broadcast "advertisments" for the various rides in Tomorrowland
    • Show fictional video "messages" or "news" (ex. A person in a uniform appears and announces, "Will unit TK-421 report to loading bay B-4 immediately." or "Moon Base 12 celebrated its third year in operation today....")
    • Scroll real time high scores from Astro Blasters and show times for Jedi Training Academy along the bottom.
    • Show scenes from space between the messages, advertisments, etc.
    • AND, the big idea, broadcast a 4-part show. Each episode is five minutes long and one is broadcast every hour on the hour. The show would star Buzz Lightyear on the screen over Astro Blasters, and Stormtroopers on the screen over Star Tours. They would have battles; Buzz would shoot from his screen and the Stormtroopers from theirs. Lazers would fire from screen to screen (coordinated and timed with the animation/video) and smoke machines could be used when a lazer shot "hits" a screen. Each screen would have three speakers (L, R, and center), and because of the nature of the show, it would be like it is in surround sound (ex. You hear Buzz shoot from his side and hear it hit on the opposite screen behind you.)
    • Another idea for a show could be of Buzz from his screen doing target practice on the opposite screen. He could be shooting at astroids or Tie Fighters (lazers choreographed to his movements). He's doing really well and getting over confident, when suddenly he accidently misses and shoots the wrong spot on the opposite screen. Smoke shoots out and the screen goes blank. Buzz sneaks off, whistling like nothing happened.
    I think big LED screens like this, to replace the existing murals, and adding other advanced lighting/signage would really make Tomorrowland more futuristic. Maybe add some fiber optic light designs in the walkway like they had (or still have?) in Epcot. Right now, Tomorrowland is kinda dull. BRIGHTEN IT UP!

There you have it! I'll be adding more to this post as I think of details I've forgotten. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by disney-fan-reborn; 07-31-2008 at 11:02 PM.

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Re: Bringing LIFE to Tomorrowland

Great ideas!

The thing about adding huge screens is that it has to be done perfectly, and in a way that they don't hog the spotlight from everything else.

This means that the buildings would need to be redesigned with special, futuristic lighting effects. Just replacing the murals with huge screens the way it looks now would probably not look too good.

Also, I'm not sure how the screens would look like during the day. It has to be done right, or Tomorrowland will look more like Times Square.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Picturing the Magic

"replace them with giant LED screens much like the billboards in Vegas"
    That's what killed the idea for me.

"fiber optic light designs in the walkway like they had (or still have?) in Epcot"
    I like the idea, like having tiny stars lighten up ocassionally. YEah, they still have it there in EPCOT

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I like the ideas but I'm also frightened at what it may become. "Vegas" is not what I'd like tomorrowland to be but I definitely think that there should be more visual stimulation after dark in Tomorrowland. How they should do that, well... I think there's a lot more necessary changes to be made in Tomorrowland first.

As you said, something needs to return on the People Mover track. And I completely agree that it shouldn't be fast. When I was a kid riding the People Mover, I had dreams of riding it super fast. Yah... turns out it's not as fun as savoring the atmosphere and people watching. Variety is what Disneyland is all about and there are plenty of fast rides already.

Second, we need the Rocket Jets back on the upper platform. It's a must.

Doing that would clear up a lot of walk ways and provide a lot of kinetic movement during the day.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post

Maybe something like this that they're riding in on the people mover track? I haven't seen the movie so I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like it might work.

Great ideas there! Tomorrowland is rather dull, and very static. I loved your ideas about turning the mural panels into video screens with scrolling messages!

It definitely needs some help, and it has so much potential, especially at night. Turn it into a futuristic Times Square/Urban environment, and it would be a huge improvement over the rather dull and lifeless area it is now.

• Banned User

Let me clarify that I don't want it to be like Vegas. I only used Vegas in reference to the way their huge signs are done. I'm not saying it should be extreme, but they should be done with the same technology as the ones in Vegas (or Times Square for that matter) so they can be viewed during the day time.

NO WAY do I want Tomorrowland to become a reflection of Vegas. That's just wrong!

• In my own neverland

As you said, something needs to return on the People Mover track.
    Second, we need the Rocket Jets back on the upper platform. It's a must.
    I absolutely agree Coheteboy! Those are the two things that would make a big difference I think. Tomorrowland was much more visually appealing when the Jets were on top of the platform. It didn't cover up the entrance and made Tomorrowland feel bigger. Hopefully this will happen when they make the changes.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Some sort of night-time light show could be nice, but I wouldn't want to see any video segments, ads (real or fictional), etc. Abstract patterns and shapes could do the trick, possibly built into the Peoplemover track and other structures - I would not want to see the classic murals taken down.

(My first choice still is to hire Frank Gehry to redesign the exterior of the entire land, though.)

• Animation Domination

The main things to make Tomorrowland more better is to get rid of HISTA and put something in Innoventions that is entertaing and not dull.
    We know the rumors of the return of PeopleMovers and Star Tours 2.

• Problem Child/Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    OK, during my last visit to DLR (see my post http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...nd-101237.html) I took note of Tomorrowland and what had changed since I was there in 2000. The Rocket Rods are gone, thankfully (I always liked the People Mover), the Buzz Lightyear ride had moved in, and the subs were back (YAY!).

I found myself looking at Tomorrowland and thinking, "Gee, they really need to bring more of a futuristic feel to this area than what they currently have." In reading a few posts about Tomorrowland, it looks like there is going to be some work done on the area. Well, I'm here to give my "wannabe Imagineer" thoughts on what should be done.

FIRST, what to do about the People Mover/Rocket Rods track. If they are going to use the track, I would strongly discourage the revisiting of a fast ride like Rocket Rods. Disneyland was built for families, and a fast ride leaves out the littlest ones in the family. I suggest bringing back the People Mover, but in a slightly different and updated form.

Currently there is a GREAT potential for themeing the ride to the current movie, WALL-E. In that show, as I'm sure you all know, the humans have become quite large and don't get around much on their own. Why not center the People Mover around that concept (realizing of course that not everyone is pleasantly plump). The trains could be "driven" by an AA robot from the movie that narrates the sights the People Mover passes. (Check out the way they get around in the pic below; Is that a people mover?)

There could really be some clever dialog and fun, new scenes in it. Scenes to keep would be, Star Tours, Star Trader, and Space Mountain. Some scenes to add would be a view inside the Inoventions building, maybe a scene from WALL-E, and a view of Astro Blasters. I heard rumblings that Tron 2 is in the works. Add a new chase scene to the tunnel.

I think it could be REALLY fun, and would go PERFECTLY with the Tomorrowland theme.

SECOND, I noticed a general lack of colorful movement in Tomorrowland. Maybe I'm wrong and just didn't see it, but I just didn't notice much in the way of futuristic lighting and signage. It all seemed pretty static and present day. It needs more movement and more color. Something like this scene from WALL-E but scaled back a little.

I like the current retro feel of Tomorrowland, but I would add more technology to it overall.

My main suggestion for this idea would be to get rid of the current murals that are on the Star Tours and Astro Blasters buildings, and replace them with giant LED screens much like the billboards in Vegas. Think of the potential! They could:
    • Broadcast "advertisments" for the various rides in Tomorrowland
    • Show fictional video "messages" or "news" (ex. A person in a uniform appears and announces, "Will unit TK-421 report to loading bay B-4 immediately." or "Moon Base 12 celebrated its third year in operation today....")
    • Scroll real time high scores from Astro Blasters and show times for Jedi Training Academy along the bottom.
    • Show scenes from space between the messages, advertisments, etc.
    • AND, the big idea, broadcast a 4-part show. Each episode is five minutes long and one is broadcast every hour on the hour. The show would star Buzz Lightyear on the screen over Astro Blasters, and Stormtroopers on the screen over Star Tours. They would have battles; Buzz would shoot from his screen and the Stormtroopers from theirs. Lazers would fire from screen to screen (coordinated and timed with the animation/video) and smoke machines could be used when a lazer shot "hits" a screen. Each screen would have three speakers (L, R, and center), and because of the nature of the show, it would be like it is in surround sound (ex. You hear Buzz shoot from his side and hear it hit on the opposite screen behind you.)
    • Another idea for a show could be of Buzz from his screen doing target practice on the opposite screen. He could be shooting at astroids or Tie Fighters (lazers choreographed to his movements). He's doing really well and getting over confident, when suddenly he accidently misses and shoots the wrong spot on the opposite screen. Smoke shoots out and the screen goes blank. Buzz sneaks off, whistling like nothing happened.

I think big LED screens like this, to replace the existing murals, and adding other advanced lighting/signage would really make Tomorrowland more futuristic. Maybe add some fiber optic light designs in the walkway like they had (or still have?) in Epcot. Right now, Tomorrowland is kinda dull. BRIGHTEN IT UP!

There you have it! I'll be adding more to this post as I think of details I've forgotten. Your thoughts?
    very very very very very cool!
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Mikey and I LIKE it!

• Minion

I've noted this on another thread in the past, but having worked Tomorrowland Attractions from the early 80s to the early 90s, Tomorrowland was once an area where a lot of people congregated, even when a number of the attractions there were deemed outdated.

When I go to Disneyland now, I don't hardly spend any time in Tomorrowland. When I do venture there, there are certainly people loitering about, but it just doesn't have the same feel as it once did.

As retro as the area might be, I think I would visit Tomorrowland way more regularly if they still had Circlevision, Inner Space, Mars, Jets, Magic Journeys/EO, Sings/CofP, and Peoplemover. And if attractions like Mars and ATIS were updated with modern technology, I think they could be just as good as Star Tours, but would also have some educational value to them as well. That would definitely keep me in Tomorrowland longer than I usually am.

But then again, that's just me. I know a lot of people aren't into the retro thing. It all comes down to personal opinion.

I just see Tomorrowland missing a lot of that LIFE that is noted in the subject of this thread too. It seemed to be a "land" that had way more action 20/25 years ago than it does now. And that was even with "outdated" attractions.

Personally I'm just not into video games, so Buzz Lightyear was okay once, but I have yet to ride it a second time.
    Innoventions was fine once, but I have no interest in visiting it again either.
    Star Tours is a great attraction, but I'm kind of done with it now. A couple of times was enough for me. And it's over 20 years old now itself.

All my opinions of course.

• Hello

Cool Re: Bringing LIFE to Tomorrowland

great ideas!!!

I love the show screen. I especially liked the second idea for a show.

You deserve this

• Hello

Cool Re: Bringing LIFE to Tomorrowland

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post

(My first choice still is to hire Frank Gehry to redesign the exterior of the entire land, though.)
    That's an idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast