Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• ...my first visit to DL

Re: If I Were in Charge of Disneyland I Would Scrap the Monorail

The monorail idea isn't quite dated yet...there are many places that could use the concept that don't. There were plenty of places that had elevated trains in the 50s, but the monorail was still the first of its kind.

Which is a good point...the Disneyland Monorail System is the first of its kind. Its an engineering landmark. I've read all the arguments about not letting Disneyland become a museum, but the Monorail is an example of what Disney really could do when they were firing on all cylinders - so to speak. It should be given a bit of deference.

Besides, even with all the seemingly idiotic issues around the Mark VII, Blue is so pretty

I think they should do a west loop mono soon. It could go from the west side of the Esplanade on top of the inspection area there, over to GCH, then to PP, over to the new DLH. Heck. Make it go right through it. Then it could go over to the parking structure, and back over to the Esplanade. This would eliminate the need for trams.

Once the City Walk Hotels are up and there's a third gate, they could make an east loop that goes from the East side of the Esplanade, over to the city walk hotels, to the third gate, and back over to the East side of the esplanade. A short walk across the Esplanade transfers you between the two loops. Poof. A transportation system of the future that really is a transportation system.

I don't expect any of this to happen of course. But if I were in charge, I'd look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think the decision to go back to something much closer to the original 1959 design of the monorail represents the direction we can expect the rest of TL to take in the next few years as well: retro-future. Retro Future is a thematic style that is timeless because it didn't happen which will make it easier to keep the land looking futuristic. Then all they have to worry about is the technology in the land as opposed to the actual land itself.
    Wasn't the Mark VII design supposed to be in keeping with the Tomorrowland refurb of the late 90s?

The problem with Retro Future is that if flies in the face of what Tomorrowland was supposed to be about - a living blueprint. Maybe the whole area of the park needs to be rededicated?

• I'm not really here

Yeah, it does fly in the face of the original intent, but even Walt recognized just how difficult it was to keep up with the future in several quotes over the years after TL opened.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

toemblem said

"Between the Mickey and Friends parking structure and Harbor, I would have a Disney Sea park built (BLAB would go here). "

you do realize that between the mickey and friends parking structure and harbor is Disneyland park? Are you actually saying you would tear the whole thing down?
    and just out of curiosity why would you put BLAB in a Disney sea park. BLAB has less to do with the sea than with tomorrowland.

Now if you meant to say that you would put a Disney sea park between the mickey and friends parking structure and Katella that would make more sense. The only problem is that you would need to remove two of the three existing hotels and you would completely bloack an future growth of Downtown Disney. Also that land is way to narrow for any proper layout for a theme park.

Rebuilding the Disneyland hotel in the timon lot would also limit any future growth for DCA. The bets bet is to place it in the tranportation hub and timon tram loading area. This is where a new hotel is being proposed for.

As for the monorail, what i would do is remove the inner loops that run all over the existing autopia and fantasia garden area. While we are at it remove that portion of the rocket rod track. I would leave the one large loop that circles the outer edge of tomorrowland and fantasia garden. This would leave one large open space for future development of the park.

I really see no reason to remove it from the attraction list. Its there already might as well use it. Unless they remove all of the track within the park and just build a new platform right outside Disneyland's gate. once it passes that area it turns south and goes to the hotels and DTD. It would be a very short ride and would not warrant the cost of all the modifications.
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-01-2008 at 01:09 PM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

The layout of Disneyland Resort is just soo messed up (not to mention so cramped)...which is why the monorail doesnt work.

They should take it all of the track down and donate it all to Disney World, cause lord knows they need it more than Anaheim!
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    They should take it all of the track down and donate it all to Disney World, cause lord knows they need it more than Anaheim!
    Wouldn't work. They are two completely different beam designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

You know why they need it more?

heheh... cos of bad design.

:::runs:::

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Knight that says Nee!!

Thanks for your opinion. Mine is, I am glad you are not in charge of Disneyland.

• back in Austin

Interesting. You were sure to get responses with such a provocative subject line! That's holy ground you're walking on!

I think the monorail makes a nice visual addition to TL and is in line with TL's reason for being, as long as the technology is actually forward-looking. That's the real question in my mind. It's hard to evaluate now with the recent mixups they've had with the Mark VIIs.

In my thinking, the most feasible and forward-looking form of transportation would be one that is efficient and easily extensible. That's why I'm such a fan of the PRT concept. They cost less per mile to build than monorails and actually take the riders directly to their destinations without stopping at points in between. If the monorail were torn down ever, I think it should be replaced with something better.

• Seasick

I love riding the monorail through Disneyland. It's fun, it offers a view of the park you can't get anywhere else, and it adds vital movement/activity to the area. A ma lev train might be more "futuristic", but it would also feel more like standard mass transit. To me, the Monorail serves a transportation need, but still feels like an attraction.

Not sure why you'd want BLAB in a DisneySea park. It doesn't really fit IMO.

Star Tours in the backlot would make sense. I also think it should be totally rebuilt, and not just refurbished with a new film.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Yeah, it does fly in the face of the original intent, but even Walt recognized just how difficult it was to keep up with the future in several quotes over the years after TL opened.
    Difficult but not impossible - New Tomorrowland of 1967 was a pretty impressive blueprint...but I think they should do one or the other - rededicate it or stick to the intent.

• Oo-de-lally

I like a lot of your ideas. I think that the Monorail has to stay though. Even though it is not that futuristic it has too much history. The new trains kind of look futuristic in a way though. I really like your idea to remodel and move Star Tours. I would like to see them bring back the people movers.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I have always enjoyed the Monorail and feel that it isn't quite ready to be torn out. As others have said previously it is technology that isn't widely used and therefore still holds that "futuristic" aspect.

As for tearing stuff out... meh. You aren't tearing the right things out. HISTA and Innoventions should go first to make way from some new ideas. I'm not one for recreating rides in all parks so seeing something new and innovative would be my first choice. That way there is a reason to go to the other parks as well as bring people to Disneyland for the one of a kind experience.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Pirate Girl

Are you trying to make DLR into WDW? No thanks. Their Monorail doesn't stop inside the parks. I love it that ours does! I just wish it would make a stop in DCA too!

Aprille :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast