Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• > 150 DL Trips & 3 to 33

Lightbulb If I Were in Charge of Disneyland I Would Scrap the Monorail

At the very least I would remove any of the track (beam) inside of Disneyland itself. It would only be a conveyance between the hotels Downtown Disney and the parks. While I am tearing things down (hypothetically), I would tear down the Disneyland Hotel, B.L.A.B., the Astro Orbiter and Star Tours. I would be tempted to sink the subs too but it is a pretty good ride. After the dust had settled I would then begin the healing. The Disneyland Hotel would be rebuilt in the Lion King lot and it would look like the Tokyo version (only better). Between the Mickey and Friends parking structure and Harbor, I would have a Disney Sea park built (BLAB would go here). Star Tours would be updated and rebuilt in the Hollywood Pictures Back lot at DCA (where it belongs). In the former location of ST, Mission Space would be built. The former BLAB becomes the queue for the new and improved Rocket Rods (think heart line twister powered by linear induction motors). The Astro Orbiter gets reinstalled on top of the Rocket Rod load platform and the entrance to Tomorrowland becomes passable again. As far as a replacement for the Monorail inside the park, something futuristic or at least modern (like a mag lev train) would be built. I know the Monorail is beloved but is it really a train of tomorrow?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: If I Were in Charge of Disneyland I Would Scrap the Monorail

While it's no longer futuristic, it's still a transportation model that is efficient and not widely used as it should be. When a monorail becomes commonplace, then I might share your sentiment. As it is, it's still a transportation model of tomorrow. At least in my eyes.

The mag lev would be the next step up of course, but that isn't practical at this point in time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by toemblem View Post
    In the former location of ST, Mission Space would be built.
    You had me until this.... why would you tear out so much of Tomorrowland to build a clone of an attraction in Florida that wasn't even well received?

I do however appreciate someone who isn't afraid to tear out the classics to achieve results.

I also agree with your decision to rip out the Monorail. Everytime I try to ride this form of transportation - it's not running. I think it's more trouble than it's worth and as an attraction it's value is highly questionable. I don't even really understand why they are wasting the money on new trains.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

A poster after my own heart. While I'm not a big fan of the Mission: Space idea, I think there are some pretty thoughtful points laid out. Good thread. Maybe I just like the idea of tearing things out...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Maybe I just like the idea of tearing things out...
    I think this is is closer to the truth

Though I do agree that much of Tomorrowland, right down to the infrastructure needs to be torn out and rebuilt. It's not just the "window-dressing" the architecture itself needs to be redone.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• would love some pie

Tear out BLAB and build a TR2N ride!

Thought I'd throw that one out before someone else did.
    KABLAM!

• Minion

I don't ride the Monorail. I will probably never ride the Monorail. But visually, it's as much of a hallmark of Disneyland as the Matterhorn, and yes, it's still futuristic to me. With the loss of the Peoplemover, Tomorrowland needs more visual kinetics, not less .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I personally do love the monorail and have ridden it many a times in the past year. It is a shame that whatever has been done has lead to its decline and the new monorails have failed to be fully running. The problems are there, but I don't believe the fault is in the concept.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I personally do love the monorail and have ridden it many a times in the past year. It is a shame that whatever has been done has lead to its decline and the new monorails have failed to be fully running. The problems are there, but I don't believe the fault is in the concept.
    Agreed. Well said. I think until Monorails are mainstream and commonplace around the world they will still fit in as futuristic. They just need to be executed properly (engineering standpoint).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DATman View Post
    Tear out BLAB and build a TR2N ride!

Thought I'd throw that one out before someone else did.
    I'd much rather see HISTA and Innoventions go before you tear out a ride that people actually go on.

• Old Timer

Please, the Monorail is essencial for my enjoyment of the Resort. If I had to walk through DTD I wouldn't be able to get around. The lack of transport has always been a major problem for me at DCA.
    I plan my days using the Monorail, Train and Main Street Transport to allow me the widest range with the least amount of walking. I miss the Skyway mainly because it was a great way to get from one side of the Park to another without having to fight through crowds.

• I wish I may...

If it ever were to be torn out, I would be awful sorry to see the Monorail go D: I don't know why, but I'm attracted to it for some reason.

• > 150 DL Trips & 3 to 33

Cool Re: If I Were in Charge of Disneyland I Would Scrap the Monorail

I guess my thing about Tommorowland in general is that it should be about tomorrow. The Monorail is beloved and should have a place in DLR but it is 5 decades old and it just reminds me of going from the terminal to the car rental lot. I threw the idea of a mag lev train out as a replacement because it is radical and at the moment not very practical (just like the monorail was). I forgot to rip out HISTA. That building can house an Innoventions type attraction and the carousel theater can house a modern day Carousel of Progress. I said Mission Space because at least it fits the theme and I just assumed that people would know that I would have a new and improved version built.
    What do you think about Disney Sea being built where the DL Hotel is now? Look at it on Google maps (sattelite view) and tell me if you think it would fit.

• "I Break Things"

Welcome to MiceChat... when you consider the IT Guru on here is MonorailMan... it was nice knowing you!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

I totally understand your reasoning behind the monorail thing, but I don't think it represents old yet. There are only a handful of actual monorails in the country and they aren't very full service yet. The Las Vegas monorail is still in its infancy (set to grow) but not there yet. Other cities are just beginning as well. And they definitely don't look as cool.

I think the decision to go back to something much closer to the original 1959 design of the monorail represents the direction we can expect the rest of TL to take in the next few years as well: retro-future. Retro Future is a thematic style that is timeless because it didn't happen which will make it easier to keep the land looking futuristic. Then all they have to worry about is the technology in the land as opposed to the actual land itself.

I so agree about the HISTA building, but I don't think Star Tours should go because it actually draws crowds and people still love it. Especially if there is any chance of a rebuild (quality rebuild that is).

Innoventions definitely needs to go the way of the Monsanto House of Plastic. If only those two were right next to each other that would be a lot of nice real estate, bummer that Space Mountain is inbetween them.

The Astro Orbiter definitely needs to get its obtrusive footprint out of the TL entrance area and back up on the PM load tower where it belongs. Of course, this means retrofitting/rebuilding the PM load tower as it wouldn't meet seismic standards nor be able to hold the increased weight of the Astro Orbiter over the original Rocket Jets.

I think the land could use some dynamic lighting effects as well. Fiber Optic concrete ala Epcot could be really fun to do at night over by the Granite ball fountain thing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast