• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Classic DCA News Article from June, 2001

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...010613_076.htm

Several hours later, my enthusiasm and optimism were gone. Overall, the California park fell short of my expectations. There were too many attractions that sounded promising on the brochure but didn't deliver. One example was Paradise Pier, a tribute to old-fashioned seaside amusement centers. Sure, Paradise Pier's roller coasters were fast and high. But that's not Disney's forte. For those thrills, you head north to Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia.

Paradise Pier pales compared to dirtier, real-life amusement piers, like the one in Santa Monica. I missed Santa Monica's cheaper cotton candy. I even missed the bums harassing me for spare change.

One of the weakest attractions at the park was Seasons of the Vine, sponsored by Robert Mondavi. The whole thing amounted to one giant ad for Mondavi wine. I sat in a cold room -- set to the same temperature at which aging wine is stored -- and watched a movie about grapevines changing through the seasons. It was about as exciting as a Wyndham Hill CD.

Analysts say they still have hope for California Adventure but admit Disney needs to add more big-ticket attractions like Soarin' Over California to draw crowds. They better get cracking before word spreads that California Adventure may be more of a misadventure. At the very least, it's an adventure you can miss.

Much more at the link.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Minion

Re: Classic DCA News Article from June, 2001

Yikes, I remember that article. And especially...

While I can understand that Disney wanted to avoid making a copycat of Disneyland, I still wondered where were Disney's trademark storytelling details? Where was the magic?

And I remember the PR spin from TDB, TDA and Eisner himself blaming DCA's lackluster perfomance on bad weather, 9/11, and especially those damn complaining fans on the internet.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Uh, I beg your pardon but, what's the occasion for the old article, Darkbeer? Or is any time DCA bashing time?

• Bring Your Own Redemption

No need to make a thread about it now, in my opinion.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Knows Where His Towel Is

What's the point of this thread? We all know what DCA endured early on...no need to resurface those memories.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• First Time Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 與W View Post
    No need to make a thread about it now, in my opinion.
    I think it's nice to see this article again. It reminds me, at least, of how Disney is turning away from the horrible park that was opened almost a decade ago and making it into something unique.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Uh, I beg your pardon but, what's the occasion for the old article, Darkbeer? Or is any time DCA bashing time?
    Anytime is the right time for DCA bashing.
    Darkbeer, you keep posting old articles, so we will not forget how Disney tried to go on the cheap, and sell the public a craptastic park.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Anytime is a good time to remember the mistakes of DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    What's the point of this thread? We all know what DCA endured early on...no need to resurface those memories.
    We shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch... Just because Disney is planning a major overhaul doesn't mean it's set in stone. Anybody remember "the Disney Decade"? Plans can change or be cancelled quickly, especially with the current state of the economy and an apparent decline in theme park attendance this summer.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Meaning no disrespect, but what's the point of burying them? What good can come to consumers and Disney fans by forgetting the corporate arrogance that accompanied every step of the planning, execution and promotion of Disney's California Adventure? Why should fans forget or forgive Disney management's outrageous blaming of DCA's initial failure on everything from the weather to the online minions of Al Lutz?

The only good that could come of it would accrue to Disney: consumers who choose to forget, forgive, ignore, rewrite or otherwise softsoap what Disney did to them a decade ago will be less likely to keep their wallets closed if Disney does it to them again.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler