Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Court of Angels to become another Shop Add-On in NOS

This is just plain sick. I hang out there and take a few shots almost every time I'm in the park. As you stroll through NOS, it's a quiet spot to get away from the crowds.

First the Watch shop and now this....

Is this their answer to the economic down turn? Shove crappy merchandise into every available square inch in the park?

There HAS to be one person behind these ideas. How do we get him or her fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Eh...The water gets yet a little hotter. The folks who said, "Give Pirates Lair a chance!!" are only now sensing that the water has become lukewarm.

Rest easy, everyone. As the degrees rise, the steam will swirl around your heads, and the pain will soon be over. Your children will no doubt very much enjoy Six Flags Anaheim.

My thoughts exactly.

• It's all about Theme!

This is our fault. We continue to let Disney run us over with its power. If enough people send a letter saying that they don't want everything to be commercial and that COA or ISAW or POTC in its original form is what they come for, Disney would be more considerate in commercializing it's areas.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Sorry if this is a derail. I love the Court, but I feel that the decision has already been made. Micechat has made many valiant attempts in the past but ultimately Disney does what they want with their park (I may not agree with the choice but it is their park and their choice what they do with it).
    What was it Walt said? "Disneyland is your land..." It may take many years, but if the quality falls far enough, people will eventually stop going to their park and then it will be worth little. Right, its their choice what they do with it - but their choices should be made with wisdom as they all have one consequence or another. I would hate to think that the proclamations around the 50th that the Park was an icon were only for the sake of marketing and they really only care how much money they can rake in.

• It's all about Theme!

Oh, and I better be able to proofread or else I will totally start freaking out!

Time to make e-mailing to contact us our main source.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

First they take away my sanctuary in the courtyard of the Disney Gallery and now, they take away the Angel Courtyard? I am sick. That is a beautiful place at the holidays and all year round with flowers on the stairs. Our family goes there and takes photos. So sad.

• =)

Ugh. That is just...pathetic. I try very hard to be optimistic about Disney, but then crap like this happens. Honestly, I'm a lot more pissed about this than about IASW. The courtyard is simply beautiful, and the fact that there isn't an attraction or restaurant or shop there does wonders for that area of NOS. Makes you feel like it's not all commercial. So much for that.

Sigh...

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

the Uniform Fire code will not let Disneyland to block or tables in that area of Angels courtyard.

One: I think that the Stair are the Emergency Exit for Club 33
    as the same too the Disney dream suite.
    Two: you need two or three exit for second floor.

Maybe that why the Cafe Orle'ans area was done to make room for stairs.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Another sad day for Walt Disney's Disneyland Park fans.
    Fire Rasulo and company now!

• no flash photography...

that's disappointing.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    This is our fault. We continue to let Disney run us over with its power. If enough people send a letter saying that they don't want everything to be commercial and that COA or ISAW or POTC in its original form is what they come for, Disney would be more considerate in commercializing it's areas.
    Send letters?

How many people in this thread who claim that this decision is heartbreaking and disappointing will have no qualms over renewing their APs the next time they are up? How many of the people in this thread who say that it's sick how Disneyland has turned into a corporation are still planning their next trip?

In all the years it's been there, I don't think I have ever set foot in the Radko shop. I could imagine during Christmas time it's really busy and if that's the case, then certainly they need more space - just to lessen the claustrophobia. Why shouldn't they give people what they want?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Send letters?

How many people in this thread who claim that this decision is heartbreaking and disappointing will have no qualms over renewing their APs the next time they are up? How many of the people in this thread who say that it's sick how Disneyland has turned into a corporation are still planning their next trip?

In all the years it's been there, I don't think I have ever set foot in the Radko shop. I could imagine during Christmas time it's really busy and if that's the case, then certainly they need more space - just to lessen the claustrophobia. Why shouldn't they give people what they want?
    If the Radko shop needed more space, they wouldn't have booted it out of its old location. How about instead of damaging more of New Orleans Square, Disney rights the original wrong and moves Le Bat en Rouge back where it used to be, and they consolidate the Pirates merch in Pieces of Eight, and let the Christmas shop return to its red-faced facade.

I mean, I think there's enough Pirates merch -- it's still lingering in Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and on Main Street. Not to mention, there's plenty to be had in World of Disney and even California Adventure.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Is this their answer to the economic down turn? Shove crappy merchandise into every available square inch in the park?
    No, it's Paul Pressler's answer to Michael Eisner's demand for double-digit profits years ago -- a formula which serves the current Disney CEO (4th most highest paid in the country) quite well indeed.

This sucks.

If this comes to pass they're not getting a penny from me. No more.

You guys keep feedin' that screamin' kitty, I can't.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

The more you have your merchandise spread out in different areas, the more likely someone will see it and purchase it. Just because we have the Emporium doesn't mean that everyone goes in there, so Disney has lost potential sales in there that could have been made if a guest was wandering around NOS and saw the item. Another thing to think about is that the vactioning guest is probably more likely to spend money or even more money than Disney fanatics like we are. With the economy going the way it is, I'm not surprised Disney's trying to move more merchandise than ever to keep it's profits at a nice steady stream since last year if not higher.

When I think of Disneyland, especially when it was in it's opening years in Walt's eyes, I saw a normal everyday park, with a little magic. Children of all ages could be just about anything they wanted to be. There was a setting for any type of imagination to flourish. If you wanted to be a cowboy in the midwest, there was Frontierland, a astronaut in 2056, you had Tomorrowland, a prince or princess, Fantasyland. I could go on more but you get the idea. As Maynard has told myself as well as others before, it's a giant lifesize stage for anyone's imagination to wander and explore.

Now that it's pretty much set, there isn't a whole lot of room to expand, and many of the current attractions (IASW, POTC, and HM are a whole 'nother can of worms) are pretty set for now, how can Disney draw in the new crowds? There isn't much they can do other than try to cash in on the merch. I'd love it if I could just go enjoy a Sunday in the park and listen to the breeze whisper a song of joy, but that doesn't make much money.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Send letters?

If anyone truly cares about something in Disneyland, they shouldn't give it up without doing something.
    Sending letters always helps. People can get their holiday ornaments in the china closet where they always are. Another location isn't needed.

I haven't heard a visitor say "We need more ornament stores in more places" yet!
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 08-01-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    The more you have your merchandise spread out in different areas, the more likely someone will see it and purchase it. Just because we have the Emporium doesn't mean that everyone goes in there, so Disney has lost potential sales in there that could have been made if a guest was wandering around NOS and saw the item. Another thing to think about is that the vactioning guest is probably more likely to spend money or even more money than Disney fanatics like we are. With the economy going the way it is, I'm not surprised Disney's trying to move more merchandise than ever to keep it's profits at a nice steady stream since last year if not higher.
    I might've bought this argument if the Court des Angels was a visible, high-traffic area. But it's not. It's a pretty quiet corner even when the park is busy, which it hasn't been since last Christmas.

Really, this shop expansion into the Court doesn't make any sense. If they wanted more Christmas retail space there's already a Christmas shop in Fantasyland, which I believe has most of its theming still intact -- all they need to do is move out the storage boxes and stock the shelves. But no, they're moving "magic crystals" into that location, which really aren't the shelf space they sit on, and bastardizing one of the last remaining quiet corners in the park.

Bravo, TDA, bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    When I think of Disneyland, especially when it was in it's opening years in Walt's eyes, I saw a normal everyday park, with a little magic. Children of all ages could be just about anything they wanted to be. There was a setting for any type of imagination to flourish. If you wanted to be a cowboy in the midwest, there was Frontierland, a astronaut in 2056, you had Tomorrowland, a prince or princess, Fantasyland. I could go on more but you get the idea. As Maynard has told myself as well as others before, it's a giant lifesize stage for anyone's imagination to wander and explore.

Now that it's pretty much set, there isn't a whole lot of room to expand, and many of the current attractions (IASW, POTC, and HM are a whole 'nother can of worms) are pretty set for now, how can Disney draw in the new crowds? There isn't much they can do other than try to cash in on the merch. I'd love it if I could just go enjoy a Sunday in the park and listen to the breeze whisper a song of joy, but that doesn't make much money.
    Isn't much room to expand?

There's an entire theater that's only being half-used for an over glorified Princess shop and photo-op. And steps away from that is a huge event arena and a large petting zoo and picnic area that is frequently deserted. Oh, and don't forget the Motorboat Cruise area that is nothing more than a winding emergency exit path which could have probably found a better route elsewhere. No room to expand? Please.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast