Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

courtyard of angels merch location

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=CoiB4WkfOsk
    micechat, we need to do something. in previous "what is your favorite place in disneyland?" threads, half of the responses featured the court of angels. im sure this location has great sentimental value for alot of us, and im sure you dont want to see it turned into a whore of the almighty dollar.
    Last edited by lovedisney33; 08-06-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• Closed Account

Re: Court of Angels to become another Shop Add-On in NOS

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    You think it won't help and so you don't send letters, ect. Then you just hand over the park to Disney.
    You are incorrect.

Sadly, I've "handed" the park to the, *ahem*, "fans."

The fans whose clamor for Pirates turned Walt Disney's marvelous Tom Sawyer Island into a thematic nightmare; the fans who believe the cacophony of fireworks and the blaze of projections and special effects are somehow better than evocative nighttime cruises on the Mark Twain or the Columbia. The fans who prefer their story of Tarzan spoon-fed to them in a cartoon treehouse. The fans who cannot see the damage that mere cartoons such as Nemo and Buzz Lightyear have caused in Tomorrowland. The fans who, with each rise in water temperature, proclaim their blind allegiance to Disney and ignorance of what makes a theme park, by joining in a raucous chorus of "I'll wait to see before I form an opinion."

Al Lutz took a lot of heat for calling these folks "Defenders of Mediocrity."

And yet, the Park becomes more and more mediocre...

Only when the "fans" determine that they love the Park enough to stay away from it, will things change.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    David Koenig reports from his latest article:

I find it disturbing that one of the precious few quiet corners left in Disneyland Park is being canopied and shamelessly stocked with merch. It would make sense that this is only a temporary change for the holiday season, but on the other hand, while the pirates craze is finally seeing a slowdown, the Royal Street Courtyard is still cluttered with registers and canopies, runining the view of the buildings above.

Thoughts?
    Gotta make up for those AP sales somehow.

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You are incorrect.

Sadly, I've "handed" the park to the, *ahem*, "fans."

The fans whose clamor for Pirates turned Walt Disney's marvelous Tom Sawyer Island into a thematic nightmare; the fans who believe the cacophony of fireworks and the blaze of projections and special effects are somehow better than evocative nighttime cruises on the Mark Twain or the Columbia. The fans who prefer their story of Tarzan spoon-fed to them in a cartoon treehouse. The fans who cannot see the damage that mere cartoons such as Nemo and Buzz Lightyear have caused in Tomorrowland. The fans who, with each rise in water temperature, proclaim their blind allegiance to Disney and ignorance of what makes a theme park, by joining in a raucous chorus of "I'll wait to see before I form an opinion."

Al Lutz took a lot of heat for calling these folks "Defenders of Mediocrity."

And yet, the Park becomes more and more mediocre...

Only when the "fans" determine that they love the Park enough to stay away from it, will things change.
    You sound like you're saying the only way to has Disney not change things is by not going to the parks. It sounds like a lot of things have changed that you don't approve of. When was the last time you were at Disneyland?

Truth is, most of us are not going stop going just to get the attention of Burbank. We'll "let this one slide", it's "just one small change", then, after a year, another change will start. Repeat sequence.

Disney knows that the "hardcore" fans of the park won't stop going just to protest something, unless maybe they live far away which would make it much easier. As long as they stop short of a complete park overhaul, they know that the frustration we show will quickly fade and things will go back to status quo.

I wish it weren't true, but that's the way it is. Plus, it's the once-a-year or first time visitor that Disney is looking to bring to the park. They don't care what the fan-boy AP'ers think.

***EDIT***
    Unless we can all truly band together and make an impact.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    You sound like you're saying the only way to has Disney not change things is by not going to the parks. It sounds like a lot of things have changed that you don't approve of. When was the last time you were at Disneyland?
    November 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    Truth is, most of us are not going stop going just to get the attention of Burbank. We'll "let this one slide", it's "just one small change", then, after a year, another change will start. Repeat sequence.
    Hence, the problem...

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

November 2007.
    Is that in protest or because of distance or something?

Personally, I must say, that I'm in the category of those who will continue to visit even though I don't approve of everything they're doing. Living 30 miles away, it's just too good of a date night for me and the wife.

• Closed Account

Even when I lived in CA, we went maybe once or twice a year. I didn't suffer withdrawals.

A protest? Of sorts. There was less and less I found interesting. Or more to the point, more and more destruction of what once made the Park great that disgusted and saddened me.

But this thread isn't about me and my Disneyland visits. It's about how wonderful, charming parts of the Park--in this case, the Court of Angels--are rapidly disappearing due to a management team that values money above all else.

It is my opinion that the park continues to ravage its own past because it gets the tacit approval of 1) people who really don't care, and 2) people who have no real appreciation of the Park, its design theory and its history.

Part of my own personal "mission" with my MiceAge column is to shed light on that history, at least for the Disneyland Railroad (to date). The number of comments I receive stating, to the effect, "Wow! I never gave the Disneyland Railroad a second thought until I read your article! Thank you for showing me how interesting this attraction can be!" was initially surprising to me. But I love getting these kinds of comments. Those are the readers I want to reach most.

But the railroad isn't the only attraction with this kind of history. The whole park has elements of history and detail and thought and design. Without knowing the story, it's only after we loose such detail that the devastation is fully recognized.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-04-2008 at 08:48 AM.

•   

But this thread isn't about me and my Disneyland visits. It's about how wonderful, charming parts of the Park--in this case, the Court of Angels--are rapidly disappearing due to a management team that values money above all else.

It is my opinion that the park continues to ravage its own past because it gets the tacit approval of 1) people who really don't care, and 2) people who have no real appreciation of the Park, its design theory and its history.
    Excellent. The need for more and more promotions and revenue-generation inside the Park is what is fueling the disappearance of the picturesque, quiet beauty of DL (the ROA, Mark Twain, Court of Angels, Disney Gallery, Great Moments..., etc.). I suspect that the Main Street Cinema will not last long under the current DIS strategy.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    The need for more and more promotions and revenue-generation inside the Park is what is fueling the disappearance of the picturesque, quiet beauty of DL.
    Um....

The greed for more and more promotions and revenue-generation inside the Park is what is fueling the disappearance of the picturesque, quiet beauty of DL.
    Fixed.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Well-played, Mr. Wiggins, well played!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Fixed.

I stand corrected.

• Inhospitable about happy

So, what's next?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    So, what's next?

Wow, heh. And you know...I wouldn't even be all that surprised. Not my favorite area of the park, by far....but I am still glad it's there. And I haven't chimed in much on this thread so far, but overall...Steve is right. Disney does have control, and I mean...the crowds still come, pay top dollar, and most people are non the wiser when small things slip away. Sometimes, the small things come back...like the Castle Walkthrough is. I am personally dismayed at the cartoon add ins, like Buzz Lightyear, and Tarzan, and NBC in the Mansion for holidays....and of course, if the Court of Angels gets stuffed with merchandise...I would be moved to complain. However, I feel...most people can make do with the small changes, as long as the park is still, for them, unique, and "magical." Lots of it still is for me. Most people who also have a passion for the place have a line, that once it is crossed...that's it. I imagine they do, anyway. For Steve, the line has been crossed seemingly, and I can see why he says the things he does. I respect that. And I must say...for me, they are coming closer all the time to crossing my line, sadly. I can see....they want to have it all, promote things, sell merchandise...they are a business, of course. A few more sacrifces of things I like, things that make the park special....and I know what they are, and what changes could happen...and I'm out of the pool. That's just my two cents.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    So, what's next?

Glad to see you have moved past your 'cookie' phase . Brilliant!!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Fixed.
    Greed is good. Where do you think the greed comes from?

Disneyland management wants to expand revenue to meet the demands of the executives. The executives are trying to meet the demands of the board. The board are trying to meet the demands of the stockbrokers and they're trying to meet the demand of their shareholders.

If anyone is to blame for the greed at Disneyland, it's the shareholders. Which leads us right back to the fans.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast