Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• FastPass n00b

Disneyland ticket hikes

Another year, another ticket hike well beyond typical inflation. I don't know if Disney actually realizes it, but there's a recession going on and people are actually tightening their budgets. It now costs $94 *per person* for park hopper tickets! Even the single-park ticket is $69 now. That might not affect AP holders in any way, but you tell a family of 4 visiting from Arizona that they're going to have to pay almost $275 just to park and get in...and after paying all that money for gas or plane tickets.

The only people who can really afford Disneyland now are the local annual pass holders and foreigners, who's currency is incredibly powerful against our weak dollar. I know I, myself, have been getting more acquainted with Knott's, Sea World and Legoland simply because I cannot afford Disneyland anymore. Not only are these parks cheaper in general, they have discounts everywhere almost all the time.

Disney has lost a lot of money on me because I obviously want to go to Disneyland in the WORST way, but I live too far away for an annual pass and after the gas from San Diego county, I'm looking at over $200 a day for just 2 people. As a student, that is 1/5 of my entire month's salary...a salary that also includes eating and living with a roof over my head. There is no possible way I can go to Disneyland at these prices. And their competitors are reaping the benefits because I've been going to them since they're far more affordable and closer.

Disney is not invincible, and as much as I hate to admit it, Disneyland is not a necessity. In a time when people are looking to cheaper and more local entertainment, raising the price of admission is not a prudent move. The Disney Decade might have been good to Disney, and seems to have lasted a few years beyond, but the days of gouging guests and still reaping a profit seem to be over. Even at $48,000 a year, it would cost 12% of an entire paycheck just to get a family of 4 into one park for one single day...and that's without gas costs!

I don't know what they teach MBA's nowadays, but they seemed to have missed the day they were teaching supply and demand. The local APs can't keep Disneyland fueled forever.

• That Guy

Re: Disneyland ticket hikes

I hear what you're Saying, and being from AZ this hits us hard.

At the same time, costs are rising for Disney too, so what are they to do?

Pretend you're in charge And your costs are rising, do you cut salaries? Lay off people? Lower standards, or raise costs?

Either way it sucks and I wish they didn't have to raise prices, but I understand.

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland ticket hikes

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    At the same time, costs are rising for Disney too, so what are they to do?

Pretend you're in charge And your costs are rising, do you cut salaries? Lay off people? Lower standards, or raise costs?

Either way it sucks and I wish they didn't have to raise prices, but I understand.

Dear Max,

Thanks so much for your understanding. I and the $27.7 million in compensation that I raked in last year really appreciate it!

Warm regards,
    - Bob Iger

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ...and sometimes why.

The second street to the right all the way till morning blvd.

Re: ABC news on DIsneyland(TICKET PRICES)

^haha.. Zzzing! o.o'^ lol. Disney could just convert to fairy dust power and become energy independent to lower costs but noooo.... pshh... lol
    Last edited by Degaa; 08-03-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I don't know you tell me o.o :p

I don't want to sound like a bad guy or anything, but the reason they raise ticket prices is because they have to give out more handouts to people who complain and sue for reasons that have no validity in my opinion. Like guests complaining about being stuck on a ride that broke down... It is a machine, and your car is a machine too, that breaks down doesn't it? Also, oh no! I slipped!!! I'm going to sue Disney. Thats why they raise ticket prices, because people just look for free handouts. meh... but again, I understand that it is more money and it doesn't make sense if you look at the economy but they have to cover themselves somehow. Sorry if I sounded like I was defending them. Just bringing up a point.

• Banned User

OK people. Let's stop and take a deep breath and think about this for a second. What is going on with the price of gas right now? How many Disney owned rides/vehicles that are in operation require gasoline? (trams, Autopia, back stage CM transports, etc.) How long are those vehicles running PER DAY? Do you see where I'm going with this? Quit your complaining about the little $3 or $11 increase. Those of you who visit more than once a year, buy a AP! I visit only once a year and will gladly pay $3 extra to have a good time with my kids! I don't go to concerts anymore because of the insane cost of a ticket FOR 2-3 HOURS OF NOISE. $68 for one day at 2.5 parks (DTD is the .5) is a HUGE value for me, and you should see that too!

How many of you spend $5-$7 for a Grande Mochachino Latte (or the like) EVERY DAY on your way to work without thinking twice about it? If you think $3 is too much extra to spend each month to visit DL, then just cut out one of your precious froofy coffees that month and use that $$ to cover the extra cost of the DL ticket! Hey, you'll even have money to spare!

As for the rise in the cost of gasoline. I think that the oil companies saw the problem with the real estate market and said, "I bet we can raise our prices just for the heck of it, make a KILLING, and then blame the rise in the cost of oil on the economy!" They cannot be blaming the rise in the cost of oil on the war or anything in the middle east. If the war, etc. was to blame, then why hasn't it spiked until now? The prices for gas did NOT start going up until the real estate market took a nose dive. Food for thought.

• Banned User

I am reminded of a quote "I am going to disneyland". i know I am sounding redundant by saying this, but I am NOT going to let the price increases stop me from going.

I am also not going to use the "I am going to (insert choice of park: knotts, six flags, bufords burp barn, etc)" excuse either
    reason: the last time (and this phrase has two meanings> meaning a past occurence and permanence((meaning no longer going there.)) .) I was there I was very disappointed. knotts, in my opinion, has lost its charm. each time they add a roller coaster or thrill ride it reminds me of a carnival. and six flags? there is NOTHING BUT roller coasters.

oh and the comment about the price of the coffees vs whining over the gas prices? good point. I agree. if a customer at (insert name of coffee shop here) can stomach paying for an overpriced coffee, then they can endure paying whatever price is on the gas pump.

oh, one last point:::::: you wanna save money on theme park tix?

get an ap. (slaps forehead)
    Last edited by disneyfan07; 08-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.

• When Will It Return?

OMG! Prices went up by $3 whole bucks! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345