Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Sad A Look Back at Disneyland's Worst Decade Ever

Now, I'd like to take you back to what I'd like to call "The Neglected Nineties". To, me, this was the worst decade Disneyland ever had, I just hope it doesn't happen again.

1990: The new parade Party Gras is the only new attraction for Disneyland's 35th anniversary. After 2 year of being closed, the Carousel theater still remains closed.

1991: A cheap cardboard Disney Afternoon Avenue renovation makes its way into Fantasyland as a plug-in to get people to watch Disney Afternoon on your local tv station.

1992: One of the best shows in a while gets introduced to Frontierland, Fantasmic!. Another good show is introduced as well, that being Beauty and the Best, one of the best Fantasyland Theater shows which lasted about 3 years. Mission to Mars closes and is abandoned for six years.

1993: Motor Boat Cruise closes and is replaced with nothing. Tahitan Terrace, one of the most beloved restaurants in Disneyland closes and is replaced with a restaraunt/Show room called Aladdin's Oasis. Mickey's Toontown debuts and wasn't necissarily a bad thing but many people would rather see Disneyland without it. Aladdin's Royal Caravan parade debuts as a plug-in for the new film.

1994: Mike Fink's Keelboats closes. Skyway to Tomorrowland/Fantasyland closes with no replacement. The Touchstone film Roger Rabbit makes a spin around Toontown. Lion King Celebration, one of the best parades Disneyland ever had debuts and lasts for a good amount of years.

1995: The non-Disney film "Dick Tracy" makes it to Videopolis and lasts only a couple of months. Indiana Jones Adventure, one of the last E-Ticket attractions to debut in Disneyland so far. PeopleMover closes and is worked on for 3 years for a new attraction.

1996: The Main Street Electrical Parade ends it's 24 year run at it's original home. Toy Story Funhouse comes in as a plug-in for the new movie. The Mike Fink Keelboats reopens only to shut down again a year later. America the Beautiful returns to Circle-Vision 360 as a salute to end the Circle-Vision run in Disneyland. Festival of Fools", a fairly good show comes to Frontierland and is a great addition till it get replaced two years later.

1997: The Rocket Jets, Captain EO, and Circle-Vision all close. The Mike Fink Keelboats close for good due to an accident. "Light Magic", the terrible replacement to the Electrical Parade debuts as one of the most hated parades in Disneyland history. Space Mountain Speedramps closed due to fire.
    Aladdin's Oasis ceases to be restaurant and is now only a children's show. Following Hunchback's success, Animazemnt comes into the the Fantasyland picture and is another show success and lasts a few years. The not so good Hercules parde debuts as a plug-in for the new film.

1998: Submarine Voyage closes without being replaced for nine years. The 42 years old Disneyland parking lot is demolished to make way for Disney's California Adventure. The New Tomorrowland aka. The Disaster waiting to happen opens. The ten year desserted Carousel Theater is replaced with the it's unworthy apprentice, Innoventions. The six year desserted Rocket to the Moon building is replaced with a simple restauraunt. Everything is painted a terrible bronze gold. An exhibit called the NASA Space experince opens and is based on space as well as Touchstone's film Mission to Mars. Captain EO is replaced with the already 4 year old outdated Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. PeopleMover is replaced with the unique Rocket Rods that would two years later close down for good. Astro Orbiter debuts not in the air where it should be, but instead, on the ground. The Rocket Jets are replaced with the huge Observatron eyesore. The second eyesore is the Cosmic Waves. The Mulan Parade debuts as a plun-in for Disney's newest film.

1999: The beloved Disneyland sign in front of the resort is torn down to make the new expanded resort sign. Swiss Family Treehouse closes and is renovated for Disney's newest character, Tarzan. Fantasylad Autopia and Tomowwowland Autopia closed to be one year later combined and sponsored with a cartoonish Chevron look. The age old beloved Golden Horseshoe show is replaced withy the terrible Woody's Roundup.

I'm sorry if alot of you dont agree with me but all of the good things to come out of this decade were not enough to over rule all of the bad things that came out and believe me, there was alot. How do you guys view this decade?
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 08-26-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• The one, the only...

Re: A Look Back at Disneyland's Worst Decade Ever

While the list reminds us of the colossal failures of the 1990's, there were three successes:

Indiana Jones, Toontown and the Lion King Parade.

While I agree that nearly every other decision was a disaster, like ending the Main Street Electrical Parade and closing all those rides without replacement. Let's also not get into the disaster of Tomorrowland '98 or DCA.

But there were a few of things that did happen that were a success. Of course decisions from a chimpanzee would have at least been about 50% right. Management did manage to stumble into a few good decisions.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Kirbyshowcase.com

that was excellent. As I read over it I remembered things like the good old disneyland sign. I remember the first time I went to Disneyland and saw that sign... We drove from Oregon so seeing that sign after 20+ hours of driving, it was so awesome/exciting/fulfillful. And I also remember the toy story fun house... was that housed in starcade? I had a sweatshirt that said that on there but who knows where that is. In thinking back at tomorrowland in 96', it had such a cool feeling to it at night. im 18 by the way so I was 9 when toy story funhouse opened.
    (insert funny comment here)

• All? NO, ALL!

The Autopia cars aren't cartoonish. The spokescars for the sponsor of the attraction are.

• Mice Chat Newbie

(I still can't forgive Disneyland for Rocket Rods and Light Magic. I even tried to defend Light Magic when I was a CM but I knew it was horrible)

"Plug-In"? Huh?

Other than that, you hit most of the nails on their respective heads. But I do like the new Autopia.

Hopefully, things are turning around. I last went in 2000 and swore I would never return. I'm finally going back this December- I had never gone more than 2 years without a trip to a Disney Park. (I did go to Pleasure Island when I was in Orlando a few years back, but I didn't go to the parks.)

A Look Back at Disneyland's Best Decade Ever

Now, I'd like to take you back to what I'd like to call "The Un-neglected Nineties". To, me, this was the best decade Disneyland ever had, I just hope it happens again.

1990: The new parade Party Gras is the new attraction for Disneyland's 35th anniversary. After 2 year of being closed, the Carousel theater still remains closed, thank God.

1991: Disney Afternoon Avenue renovation finally makes its way into Fantasyland, tied to the popular show Disney Afternoon Avenue.

1992: One of the best shows in a while gets introduced to Frontierland, Fantasmic!. Another good show is introduced as well, that being Beauty and the Best, one of the best Fantasyland Theater shows which lasted about 3 years. Mission to Mars thankfully closes and is abandoned for six years.

1993: That waste of space, Motor Boat Cruise, closes and is replaced with nothing. Tahitan Terrace, one of the most loathed restaurants in Disneyland closes and is replaced with a restaraunt/Show room called Aladdin's Oasis. Mickeys Toontown debuts; Most people agreee it's a great success! Aladdin's Royal Caravan parade debuts as a plug-in for the new film.

1994: Mike Fink's Keelboats closes; nobody notices. Skyway to Tomorrowland/Fantasyland closes with no replacement after nearly killing a guest. The Touchstone film Roger Rabbit makes a spin around Toontown. Lion King Celebration, one of the best parades Disneyland ever had debuts and lasts for a good amount of years

1995: The non-Disney film "Dick Tracy" makes a brief appearance in Videopolis. Indiana Jones Adventure, one of the last E-Ticket attractions to debut in Disneyland so far. PeopleMover; about as exciting as a sideways elevator, closes and is worked on for 3 years for a new attraction.

1996: The Main Street Electrical Parade ends its 24 year run of mind-numbing music. Toy Story Funhouse comes in as a plug-in for the new movie. The Mike Fink Keelboats reopens; but unfortunately shuts down again a year later. America the Beautiful finally vacates the premises to make room for Innoventions. Festival of Fools", a fairly good show comes to Frontierland for a two year run!

1997: The Rocket Jets, Captain EO, and Circle-Vision all close; to wild applause. The Mike Fink Keelboats close for good. "Light Magic", the excellent replacement to the Electrical Parade debuts as one of the most loved parades in Disneyland history. Space Mountain Speedramps closed due to fire, causing some Disneyland fans to actualkly get some excercise one in a while.
    Aladdin's Oasis ceases to be a bland restaurant and is now finally a children's show. Following Hunchback's success, Animazemnt comes into the the Fantasyland picture and is another show success and lasts a few years. The great Hercules parde debuts as a plug-in for the new film.

1998: Submarine Voyage finally closes for nine years. The 42 year old Disneyland parking lot is finally demolished to make way for Disney's California Adventure. The New Tomorrowland aka. The Success waiting to happen opens. The ten year deserted Carousel Theater is finally replaced with the it's worthy apprentice, Innoventions. The six year deserted Rocket to the Moon building, which everybody hated anyway, is replaced with a excellent restauraunt. Everything is painted a brilliant bronze gold. An exhibit called the NASA Space experince opens and is based on space as well as Touchstone's film Mission to Mars. The pathetic Captain EO is replaced with the classic Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. PeopleMover is replaced with the unique Rocket Rods that would unfortunately two years later close down for good. Astro Orbiter reopens, on the ground where it is accessable to all. The Rocket Jets are replaced with the huge Observatron marvel. The second marvel is the Cosmic Waves. The Mulan Parade debuts as a plun-in for Disney's newest film.

1999: The outdated Disneyland sign in front of the resort is finally torn down to make the new expanded resort sign. Swiss Family Treehouse finally closes (since everyone has long forgotten that movie anyway),and is renovated for Disney's newest character, Tarzan. Fantasylad Autopia and Tomowwowland Autopia closed to be one year later combined, and expanded and sponsored with a great new Chevron look. The age old moth-ridden Golden Horseshoe show is finally put to pasture by Woody's Roundup.

I'm sorry if alot of you dont agree with me, but all of the good things to come out of this decade were more than enough to overrule the few bad things that came out and believe me, there was only a little. How do you guys view this decade?

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Re: A Look Back at Disneyland's Best Decade Ever

Quote Originally Posted by h_lehmann
    I'm sorry if alot of you dont agree with me, but all of the good things to come out of this decade were more than enough to overrule the few bad things that came out and believe me, there was only a little. How do you guys view this decade?
    Your an ***... hee hee (little gurl laugh)
    (insert funny comment here)

• FastPass n00b

Although I strongly believe the 1990's was the worst decade for Disneyland, I don't think either of the 2 lists are quite correct; I think it's more of a balance between the 2. There are definitely bad things that happened, and there were really good things that happened. The bad things far outweighed the good, but no matter how bad Disneyland ever gets, there are always CMs in high and low places determined to give guests their best no matter what.

I think the real turning point came around 1995, when Paul Pressler's influence became more apparent. And around 1996 to 1997 is when the park hit its darkest hour. But personally I feel that ever since 1999 the park has been slowly improving and now that Matt Ouimett is in charge, the improvement is going 10 times faster. In any case, even when Disneyland hit rock bottom, it was still a fun place to be and that says something not only for the lasting appeal of the park, but for the CMs that try their damnedest to make people feel welcome there and give them their best effort.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    While the list reminds us of the colossal failures of the 1990's, there were three successes:

Indiana Jones, Toontown and the Lion King Parade.
    Fantasmic! was another success.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Thanks for making me cry.

Some personal reflections:

-I truly miss the Peoplemover
    -Circlevision is just a poor-man's 'Soarin' Over California,' but I dearly miss it as well.
    -I thoroughly enjoyed the Dick Tracy stage show in the Fantasyland Theater
    -Party Gras continues to be my all-time favorite parade.
    -At least we didn't get "New Management" in Adventureland.
    -There's an omission of the PC-ization of PotC and the horrible Columbia accident

All in all, I think 1994-2004 was the worst "decade" ever. I'm hoping that the death of Marcelo Torres was the final straw and that the park has changed its ways with Matt Ouimett and the 50th celebration. Wishful thinking? Probably. But I'm a silly dreamer like a great many of us here...

• My cuties!

I'll always see 1997 as a good year -- that was when my husband and I went for our honeymoon!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    All in all, I think 1994-2004 was the worst "decade" ever. I'm hoping that the death of Marcelo Torres was the final straw and that the park has changed its ways with Matt Ouimett and the 50th celebration. Wishful thinking? Probably. But I'm a silly dreamer like a great many of us here...
    dec·ade
    n.

1. A period of ten years.

You are most certainly correct in your assumption of that period being a legitimate decade. According to the dictionary, a decade is not necessarily a predefined time, it's basically any 10 years that are consecutive. So your decade is actually a lot more accurate as far as Disneyland's worst decade.

and I know, but I learned something interesting.

OK, here's a list of the good that came out of the 90's:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Fantasmic!
    Lion King Celebration
    Festival of Fools
    Animazement!
    Toontown: This can go either way on this one since some like it and some dont
    Parti Gras
    Beauty and the Beast

I dont know how to feel about Spirit of Pocochontas and Aladdin's Royal Caravan, they were so so.

Let's just face it that the one major success that came out of the 90's was Indiana Jones and the rest were just shows.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Originally Posted by Twinmom:
    I'll always see 1997 as a good year -- that was when my husband and I went for our honeymoon!

Well, you probably like it because it was your honeymoon, that makes it a whole lot better. In my eyes, that was the worst year, it was the closure of Rocket Jets, Captain EO, Keelboats, and Circle-Vision. Light Magic played a big part in it and Hercules wasn't all that great. The good things to come out of that year were Animazement and Small World Holiday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast