Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Watch shop closing and more loss of theme, how should I feel?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    MiceChat is full of people that are passionate about Disney. If we all "Get a life" as you suggest there will be no MiceChat. Are you hoping that MiceChat dissolves while we are all busy getting a life?
    That is a really great post.

I'm envious of those of you close to DL, you have many things that are long-lost at WDW. The Main Street Cinema, the Arcade, Mr. Toad. I do miss the Gallery, that was possibly my favorite place to relax at Disneyland.

Everyone has memories that make it hard when shops/attractions/restaurants close. I have never bought a watch at New Century Timepieces, but I loved walking through it and will miss being able to do so on my next DL trip.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Cast Member

For the last time. The shop isn't completely leaving.

Just instead of devoting a WHOLE shop to the watches, they'll just be a (smaller) part of the new shop.

I don't want to personally rehash the other thread on this subject.... but I was given a small bit of hint on how the shop was going to be like as I personally went to ask during my shift.

Granted, these are hints or possibilities but the shop is supposed to have extremely limited items in the store.

Such as limited edition items of 10 or 50 or whatever Disney merchandise. And items being sold out of really nice vases or other things and the vases that are containing them being sold as well.

Kind of like (but not literally) everything is for sale in the shop. A one of a kind type of shop.

Again, I'll be the first one to admit it still sounds vague and could be a concept that could easily blow up in their face.

But then again, it's weird how we complain about the watch shop "leaving" but I don't hear much about people missing what was there before the watch shop. The candle shop, right?

But I can easily see what Bruce and others(in another thread) feel about Disney management's track record means in essence they will not do this right.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    For the last time. The shop isn't completely leaving.

Just instead of devoting a WHOLE shop to the watches, they'll just be a (smaller) part of the new shop.

I don't want to personally rehash the other thread on this subject.... but I was given a small bit of hint on how the shop was going to be like as I personally went to ask during my shift.

Granted, these are hints or possibilities but the shop is supposed to have extremely limited items in the store.

Such as limited edition items of 10 or 50 or whatever Disney merchandise. And items being sold out of really nice vases or other things and the vases that are containing them being sold as well.

Kind of like (but not literally) everything is for sale in the shop. A one of a kind type of shop.

Again, I'll be the first one to admit it still sounds vague and could be a concept that could easily blow up in their face.

But then again, it's weird how we complain about the watch shop "leaving" but I don't hear much about people missing what was there before the watch shop. The candle shop, right?

But I can easily see what Bruce and others(in another thread) feel about Disney management's track record means in essence they will not do this right.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Bye.
    Great point about the Candle shop! But in that case I believe replacing the candle shop with a Watch Shop reflect the turn of the century main street in a more authentic way. I suppose there were "Candle Shop" in the early 1900's but I assume people purchased Lanterns as opposed to candles and that a Watch Shop would be more visible in the main street squares of yesteryear. To tell you the truth the bottom line is not just the fact that the "Watch Shop" is leaving, it is the slow and sometimes fast decay of the multitudes of "little things" in this case, (sets) being chipped away at sake of pushing more merch. You can make money and still retain show, I would love to be proven wrong and will maintain a open mind regarding the "new shop" or (Set) going into the Main Street scene, but based on the track record I do not expect to be eating my words. But if proven otherwise I will be very happy.

I Look at Disneyland as a Show as living theatre as the most truest of a 3D movie, the closest to "Virtual Reality" that we can come in the non technical sense. Each Attraction and building is a set piece, each cast member is a actor. This is a alternate reality, we are "Protected" from the "outside world" by a berm. This is the place where "our dreams come true", lets keep it that way and not just turn DisneyLand into J.A.M (Just Another Mall)
    Last edited by CAspace; 08-02-2008 at 09:10 AM.

wait i thought they were just gonna refurb the shop. instead they are gonna add other merchandise and leave a small section for the watches. man every time i went to disneyland that would be my favorite place to visit before i left (i love to collect watches).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Better for who? Better for you? Better for me? Better for the millions of other people who go to Disneyland?

Let me be the first to tell you that tourists would rather just buy a t-shirt with a picture of mickey on it, than a 33rd Anniversary Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Limited Edition Action Figure.

Let me also tell you that they'd rather see their favorite Disney characters on a ride than a bunch of scary looking dolls. They'd rather have a chance to win a prize than see a bunch of stuffy pictures of Disneyland hanging on a wall while they are actually IN Disneyland, and they'd much rather have Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland than Circlevision no matter how much it destroys the theme.

If you ask enough people, you will find that a lot of them, millions in fact, think Disneyland is better now than it was at any other time in its history.
    How do you know this?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's not so much going to be generic merchandise...if they follow through correctly, we might end up seeing what hard-core Disneyland fans consider to be collectibles (if I'm understanding what I've read correctly).

I don't think the watches will stop being offered (hey, if we're lucky, they'll realize all this moving around of stores is bad, and convert the Dream Suite back to the Gallery, maybe with the watches there, too). They bring in the park great revenue when they make a sale.

But as to everything else...I totally agree with you.

What can we do? We can write letters, draw attention, make a stand. Will they listen? That depends. Many here feel that it's redundant, but the fans have won battles. Splash's Barnaby Owl and his photo op got fixed, the Mark Twain's decrepit pictures on the internet had it immediately in refurb, the Sub lagoon became a new attraction instead of a filled hole like WDW...

True, there have been compromises. The former Submarine Voyage is now themed to Finding Nemo. One could argue that the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through is only coming back because of DVD sales. Pirates of the Caribbean is influenced by the movies that the ride itself inspired, and yet, the ride's lighting, sets, effects and such got a huge makeover.

When we first heard about it's a small world getting a makeover, Al said there was potential for an "America" area to replace the Rainforest - something very ironic and disgusting, reflecting society's disregard for the planet. MasterGracey started a campaign called "Save the Rainforest"...and while the campaign is not just focused on the Rainforest but other aspects as well, we have been promised that our Rainforest will remain intact. And maybe, just maybe, Disney will figure it's better not to have as many Disney characters placed into the attraction as they'd originally planned.

Make your voice heard. We have to at least try.
    As I am new to all this, I would like to know....

How and where can we make our voices heard? I want to help make a difference, but I don't know where to go or who to go to. Can anyone direct us to the place to go where we can correspond to the powers that be?

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Better for who? Better for you? Better for me? Better for the millions of other people who go to Disneyland?

Let me be the first to tell you that tourists would rather just buy a t-shirt with a picture of mickey on it, than a 33rd Anniversary Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Limited Edition Action Figure.

Let me also tell you that they'd rather see their favorite Disney characters on a ride than a bunch of scary looking dolls. They'd rather have a chance to win a prize than see a bunch of stuffy pictures of Disneyland hanging on a wall while they are actually IN Disneyland, and they'd much rather have Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland than Circlevision no matter how much it destroys the theme.

If you ask enough people, you will find that a lot of them, millions in fact, think Disneyland is better now than it was at any other time in its history.
    I think that people go to Disneyland for a unique experience. And if Disneyland keeps making things generic, they won't have the unique experience that they were supposed to have in the first place. Also, I doubt people want to see their 'favorite Disney characters' on the ride, because, very simply, they will always miss someone's favorite character. My best friend is very fond of Pocahontas, and we hardly ever see her anywhere.

I just don't think they know any better, the guests, I mean.
    Code Lee-Oh-Co (Or Jessica, if you want)

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Now we hear that the Main Street watch shop is closing only to be replaced by probably more "DisneyParks" Generic clothes and standard mall junk. How am I supposed to feel? What on earth is going on here? Ticket prices raised to almost $70 one day one park and it truly is just turning into a mall with rides. Please understand, I love DisneyLand, I respect Walt and what he has created. But I just cannot stand the direction that the Parks are being taken. Deep down in my heart I wish that the Park would be declared a historic landmark, I really do. I think it truly is, and if more is not done to protect it, it will be a full fledge "Downtown Disney" With rides before we know it.
    I am trying to stay positive I really am. Please help me.

Loss of Skyway
    Loss of the original penny aracade.
    Loss of Needfull Things NOS,
    Loss of live Glass blowing,
    Loss of Great Moments with Lincoln,
    Loss of Tom Sawyers.
    Loss of Disney Gallery,
    Loss of Watch Shop,
    Loss of Original Pirates of Caribbean- "Updated" with $25 million dollar budget.
    Loss of Original Small World.
    Soon to be lost Courtyard of Angels.

If you can tell me in any which case these unique shops and attractions removals or replacements have warranted the millions of dollar price tags for each one.

I am trying to be open minded, I really am, but I just do not see it. Taking away the little things that make DisneyLand so special only to replace it with generic junk you can get at a local mall, just is not a good idea.
    Why spend $70 dollars to take your kids to a mall with some rides.
    Please help me try to make sense of all this. I wish I had the power to fire about 200 management positions in the corporation and replace them with some real creatives looking beyond the quarter and into keeping the dream alive for generations and generations.

Well it is a business after all. And people tend to shop alot and is a draw for merchandise I mean merchandise sells well. especially for the kiddies.

Not much we can do though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Every time I walk By ISAW, it breaks my heart. I grew up loving that ride and it is always what I think of at Disneyland.

It's the loss of a childhood sweetheart, and I'm not giving it up without a fight! I think you should too!
    Did you save it yet?
    Troll

B.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

There is a way to *possibly* protect shops, restaurants and the like at DL, from becoming extinct. That way is to patronize them. Go and drop a ton of cash at your favorite shop or restaurant, and who better to do that at DL than the locals with the APs that go so often. That is what will keep shops and retaurants around. DL management would never have decided to change the watch shop if it had been bringing in the profit they expected. Some will say the DL bean counters expect too much, but bottom line is no one can control that. What everyone can control is how they spend their own money.

Over the years DL has lost some of its best shops and restaurants, IMHO. I do believe many of them would still be there if they were turning the profit that DL expected.

The next time you bring in a snack, eat off property, look at an item at DL then go to a Character Wharehouse store to find it for less, please realize you are a part of the problem.

If you feel the food offerings aren't to your liking and you don't eat at a particular retaurant as much as humanly possible then when it is removed you really have no room to complain. Same goes for stores.

Many years ago you could not buy a slice of pizza anywhere in DL. Now you can. Why? Because LOTS of people want pizza. Years ago in Frontierland there was a Pendleton store. It was removed. Why? Because FEW people bought the product. It's basic supply and demand.

However it is not easy to accomplish this as individuals, nor is it a slam dunk theory. It's really an uphill battle, because no one can control how others spend their money. But human nature leads people to be attracted to what others are attracted to. Ever been in a store and passed by an item, then you see it in someone elses hands then it becomes more attractive to you and that is what you want? That mind set is about all you have going for you, on top of spending your own money to keep your current favorites alive and well anywhere.

I love Monet Cristo sandwiches. Now that Bennigans has gone under I have nowhere to get my Monte fix inbetween trips to DL. I do blame myself for no longer having that option. I was part of the problem in that I really loved one of their products but didn't vote with my pocketbook often enough.

dsny1mom

I like the watch shop for its addition to the overall ambiance of Main Street, but I've never purchased a watch there and never would have. How many of us have?

It seems selfish of them to take away a piece of history, but it also seems selfish of us to expect a business to stay open forever without proper patronage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
    I like the watch shop for its addition to the overall ambiance of Main Street, but I've never purchased a watch there and never would have. How many of us have?

It seems selfish of them to take away a piece of history, but it also seems selfish of us to expect a business to stay open forever without proper patronage.
    I have purchased *many* watches at the watch shop over the years. From basic MM to the custom designs. Usually 3-4 a year since the early 1980's. I'm one of those people that would rather pay more for items that I buy at DL than buy a similar less expensive item elsewhere. A Disney themed watch purchased elsewhere would not be very special to me. I cherish all of the watches I have bought at DL, and I don't collect them, I wear them. Not to mention it is one of the way I can support DL. I do it with food and beverages too.

dsny1mom

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
    It seems selfish of them to take away a piece of history...
    Well, don't forget, it wasn't always a watch shop. Up until 1970, 115 Main Street was a pharmacy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12