Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Watch shop closing and more loss of theme, how should I feel?

Now we hear that the Main Street watch shop is closing only to be replaced by probably more "DisneyParks" Generic clothes and standard mall junk. How am I supposed to feel? What on earth is going on here? Ticket prices raised to almost $70 one day one park and it truly is just turning into a mall with rides. Please understand, I love DisneyLand, I respect Walt and what he has created. But I just cannot stand the direction that the Parks are being taken. Deep down in my heart I wish that the Park would be declared a historic landmark, I really do. I think it truly is, and if more is not done to protect it, it will be a full fledge "Downtown Disney" With rides before we know it.
    I am trying to stay positive I really am. Please help me.

Loss of Skyway
    Loss of the original penny aracade.
    Loss of Needfull Things NOS,
    Loss of live Glass blowing,
    Loss of Great Moments with Lincoln,
    Loss of Tom Sawyers.
    Loss of Disney Gallery,
    Loss of Watch Shop,
    Loss of Original Pirates of Caribbean- "Updated" with $25 million dollar budget.
    Loss of Original Small World.
    Soon to be lost Courtyard of Angels.

If you can tell me in any which case these unique shops and attractions removals or replacements have warranted the millions of dollar price tags for each one.

I am trying to be open minded, I really am, but I just do not see it. Taking away the little things that make DisneyLand so special only to replace it with generic junk you can get at a local mall, just is not a good idea.
    Why spend $70 dollars to take your kids to a mall with some rides.
    Please help me try to make sense of all this. I wish I had the power to fire about 200 management positions in the corporation and replace them with some real creatives looking beyond the quarter and into keeping the dream alive for generations and generations.

• Special Agent

Re: Watch shop closing and more loss of theme, how should I feel?

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Now we hear that the Main Street watch shop is closing only to be replaced by probably more "DisneyParks" Generic clothes and standard mall junk. How am I supposed to feel? What on earth is going on here?
    What is going on is that Disney is responding to market conditions. It turns out that the public at large loves that cheap generic DISNEY® stuff. If people were buying watches and collectables, then guess what - every shop in Disneyland would look like the Disneyana Shop.

I think it's silly to claim that management is taking the park in the wrong direction when it's simply a difference of opinion. You have your opinion and your tastes and the public wants something else.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It's not so much going to be generic merchandise...if they follow through correctly, we might end up seeing what hard-core Disneyland fans consider to be collectibles (if I'm understanding what I've read correctly).

I don't think the watches will stop being offered (hey, if we're lucky, they'll realize all this moving around of stores is bad, and convert the Dream Suite back to the Gallery, maybe with the watches there, too). They bring in the park great revenue when they make a sale.

But as to everything else...I totally agree with you.

What can we do? We can write letters, draw attention, make a stand. Will they listen? That depends. Many here feel that it's redundant, but the fans have won battles. Splash's Barnaby Owl and his photo op got fixed, the Mark Twain's decrepit pictures on the internet had it immediately in refurb, the Sub lagoon became a new attraction instead of a filled hole like WDW...

True, there have been compromises. The former Submarine Voyage is now themed to Finding Nemo. One could argue that the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through is only coming back because of DVD sales. Pirates of the Caribbean is influenced by the movies that the ride itself inspired, and yet, the ride's lighting, sets, effects and such got a huge makeover.

When we first heard about it's a small world getting a makeover, Al said there was potential for an "America" area to replace the Rainforest - something very ironic and disgusting, reflecting society's disregard for the planet. MasterGracey started a campaign called "Save the Rainforest"...and while the campaign is not just focused on the Rainforest but other aspects as well, we have been promised that our Rainforest will remain intact. And maybe, just maybe, Disney will figure it's better not to have as many Disney characters placed into the attraction as they'd originally planned.

Make your voice heard. We have to at least try.

What's happening to the Courtyard of Angels?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the thread.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 08-01-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add on

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Now we hear that the Main Street watch shop is closing only to be replaced by probably more "DisneyParks" Generic clothes and standard mall junk. How am I supposed to feel? What on earth is going on here? Ticket prices raised to almost $70 one day one park and it truly is just turning into a mall with rides. Please understand, I love DisneyLand, I respect Walt and what he has created. But I just cannot stand the direction that the Parks are being taken. Deep down in my heart I wish that the Park would be declared a historic landmark, I really do. I think it truly is, and if more is not done to protect it, it will be a full fledge "Downtown Disney" With rides before we know it.
    I am trying to stay positive I really am. Please help me.

Loss of Skyway
    Loss of the original penny aracade.
    Loss of Needfull Things NOS,
    Loss of live Glass blowing,
    Loss of Great Moments with Lincoln,
    Loss of Tom Sawyers.
    Loss of Disney Gallery,
    Loss of Watch Shop,
    Loss of Original Pirates of Caribbean- "Updated" with $25 million dollar budget.
    Loss of Original Small World.
    Soon to be lost Courtyard of Angels.

If you can tell me in any which case these unique shops and attractions removals or replacements have warranted the millions of dollar price tags for each one.

I am trying to be open minded, I really am, but I just do not see it. Taking away the little things that make DisneyLand so special only to replace it with generic junk you can get at a local mall, just is not a good idea.
    Why spend $70 dollars to take your kids to a mall with some rides.
    Please help me try to make sense of all this. I wish I had the power to fire about 200 management positions in the corporation and replace them with some real creatives looking beyond the quarter and into keeping the dream alive for generations and generations.
    I totally agree.

Every time I walk By ISAW, it breaks my heart. I grew up loving that ride and it is always what I think of at Disneyland.

It's the loss of a childhood sweetheart, and I'm not giving it up without a fight! I think you should too!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    It's the loss of a childhood sweetheart, and I'm not giving it up without a fight! I think you should too!
    Did you save it yet?

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Wow, some people seariously need to get a life. Or better yet, how about you cut up your annual passes, drop them off at City Hall, and vow to never return to Disneyland ever again? I'll bring the scissors.
    Last edited by Club 33 Mike; 08-01-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    What is going on is that Disney is responding to market conditions. It turns out that the public at large loves that cheap generic DISNEY® stuff. If people were buying watches and collectables, then guess what - every shop in Disneyland would look like the Disneyana Shop.

I think it's silly to claim that management is taking the park in the wrong direction when it's simply a difference of opinion. You have your opinion and your tastes and the public wants something else.
    I understand marketing to the public taste and all that, but doesn't the public have enough outlets for "cheap generic DISNEY®" stuff already? Do you think they prefer that merchandise to the exclusion of all else?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Not to mention 3 unique dinning exerperinecs.

1. Tahiten Terrace
    2. Harbor Galley
    3. Bit Thunder Mountain Ranch.

and what were they replaced with? its supposed to be something better, right? well lets see.

1. Aladdin Show
    2. French Fries
    3. Nothing ( yeah yeah yeah, the food is elsewhere but i want my fire pit back)

yeah sure, ok, disneyland is not a museum, whatever, but its supposed to at least get better, right?
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    yeah sure, ok, disneyland is not a museum, whatever, but its supposed to at least get better, right?
    That was the idea, but somewhere along the line management got confused.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Special Agent

its supposed to at least get better, right?
    Better for who? Better for you? Better for me? Better for the millions of other people who go to Disneyland?

Let me be the first to tell you that tourists would rather just buy a t-shirt with a picture of mickey on it, than a 33rd Anniversary Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Limited Edition Action Figure.

Let me also tell you that they'd rather see their favorite Disney characters on a ride than a bunch of scary looking dolls. They'd rather have a chance to win a prize than see a bunch of stuffy pictures of Disneyland hanging on a wall while they are actually IN Disneyland, and they'd much rather have Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland than Circlevision no matter how much it destroys the theme.

If you ask enough people, you will find that a lot of them, millions in fact, think Disneyland is better now than it was at any other time in its history.

• Minion

Better for who? Better for you? Better for me? Better for the millions of other people who go to Disneyland?

Let me be the first to tell you that tourists would rather just buy a t-shirt with a picture of mickey on it, than a 33rd Anniversary Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Limited Edition Action Figure.

Let me also tell you that they'd rather see their favorite Disney characters on a ride than a bunch of scary looking dolls. They'd rather have a chance to win a prize than see a bunch of stuffy pictures of Disneyland hanging on a wall while they are actually IN Disneyland, and they'd much rather have Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland than Circlevision no matter how much it destroys the theme.

If you ask enough people, you will find that a lot of them, millions in fact, think Disneyland is better now than it was at any other time in its history.

Once again, I suspect your comments are actually satirical. But, what the heck, Ill answer the points you bring up anyway.

I can see how you can say that millions of people like Disneyland the way it is today. We know that, because they keep coming. I still like it the way it is today, even if I don't like some of the more recent changes, because Disneyland has a very strong foundation built up over many decades of good work. But I don't see how you could know that millions think that it is specifically better now than at any other time in its history.

I know that not everybody is as analytical or obsessive about Disneyland as the hard core fans, but it's not as if you and me and the rest of MiceChat are living in a Disney fansite bubble and then the millions of normal people out there somewhere else. We are part of those millions who enjoy Disneyland, and that group is made up of a bunch of individuals. I don't think you can just lump them into a huge gelatinous mass and say, "they all think this, so that's what we've got to do."

There's a lot of merchandise that fits somewhere between "T-shirt with Mickey on it" and a "33rd Anniversary Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Limited Edition Action Figure" (I must admit that was a funny line though .

I don't think they should totally get rid of the T-shirts and pins and the collection of "in" characters of the moment. I just think that when the toy department of Wal*Mart in Santa Maria, CA has a better selection of Disney characters than Disneyland, there's a problem. Also, there should be room for at least a few specialty shops that add to the charm factor and support the theme of the land, and wouldn't they at least turn a healthy profit? Find a little balance, executives!

Incidentally, as far as I know, those "scary looking dolls" and their 44 year old attraction were still pulling in the crowds when the attraction closed down. Otherwise, according to your principals of "if it wasn't popular, they'd tear it out," wouldn't they be completely replacing the "scary looking dolls" with popular Disney characters?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Not to mention 3 unique dinning exerperinecs.

1. Tahiten Terrace
    2. Harbor Galley
    3. Bit Thunder Mountain Ranch.

and what were they replaced with? its supposed to be something better, right? well lets see.

1. Aladdin Show
    2. French Fries
    3. Nothing ( yeah yeah yeah, the food is elsewhere but i want my fire pit back)

Very good point! Those should have been high up on my list. Eateries are a important component of the park.

• Hooterville, USA

And if you ask MCers about DL, you would get a different answer. So what's your point?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    Wow, some people seariously need to get a life. Or better yet, how about you cut up your annual passes, drop them off at City Hall, and vow to never return to Disneyland ever again? I'll bring the scissors.
    MiceChat is full of people that are passionate about Disney. If we all "Get a life" as you suggest there will be no MiceChat. Are you hoping that MiceChat dissolves while we are all busy getting a life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast