•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Smile Armchair Imagineering: Relaunching NoS, 1967

A bit of fun here, taking the idea...what New Orleans Square could have been like, back in 1967, when Pirates first opened...with some imagination, and if I had my way....

The small, twisting streets, and unique shops would be a must....the antique store, the glass/crystal store, and a few more perhaps with a more unique spin...a set location, perhaps, open from the beginning, dedicated solely to both the Pirates, and their illicit treasures, Randotti skulls, Marc Davis postcards, and the like...and Haunted Mansion treasures, the figure sets, mystery boxes, custom tombstones.

The beginning of the classic Pirates adventure, however, would start considerably earlier, with a walk through of some dank dungeon scenes, with wax figures of notable pirates, and a healthy smattering of bones and skeletal remains, which was at least partly part of the plan of the original attraction. You would enter this small maze of wax figures closer to the river's edge, and wind through, viewing humorous wax scenes of infamous pirates and their associates, closely modeled after Marc Davis designs, in torch light passages, before entering the moonlit Blue Bayou area and loading dock, your eyes now better adjusted to the darkness inside.

Near the beginning of this maze, you'd find a small, carved opening leading another direction, simply bearing a ornate, metal sign with curlicued iron, indicating "The Crypts." Passing in here, the skeletal remains would slowly increase, followed by coffins, and odd, eerie half heard noises, before rising up a tunnel lined with plaques, and statues, into the open large masoleum
    at the start of the Haunted Mansion waiting area. The home would be pristine, still, but the grounds more wild and filled with plant growth, a small pond, and statuary. Once inside, you'd visit the familiar grim grinning ghosts, now joined by a old friend, here to stay...the Hatbox ghost, permenantly entombed within. At the exit, you'd leave the stone walled crypt at ground level, but find yourself within a large, curioisly decorated and stocked room......the long proposed, never quite materialized Museum of the Weird, home to bizarre, and morbid antiquites, some of which would be curioisly active.

Your thoughts? I think this would have been a excellent layout, and of course, more suited to my slightly macabre tastes...just a fun exercise in what might have been.

• Fancy that...

Re: Armchair Imagineering: Relaunching NoS, 1967

The Haunted Mansion ideas sound fun I'd love to take a tour in the Museum of Weird! Heck they could add one somewere else in NOS today...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Armchair Imagineering: Relaunching NoS, 1967

As for more detail on the Museum of the Weird, if the mansion had it from inception...the drawings are very brightly colored and whimiscal, which is very good, but I'd picture it more like a real museum...or a study, dimly lit with the torch hands from the Mansion exit, and display cases perhaps, or small niches...containing things like the man eating plant in a ornate vase, with skulls carved into it...the candle man statue, in the center, a decrepit gypsy wagon with panels that would spin, lights go on, knockings...in one corner, a animated, haunted suit of armor that would move slightly, or, a face appear in the helmet...subtle animations in the mostly static displays.