Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The New STar TouRS

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    Considering the fact that he created the highest-grossing film in the history of a motion picture, and he pretty much revolutionized the way we look at any type of film, He can take as much credit as he wants to. I just wonder/hope that the new star tours wont focus as much on the prequels, bc i want it to do with the "empire" and not the trade federation bs. Maybe make a new ride film that has to do with immediatly after Episode 3, like with the Prequel star destroyers but painted white/grey like those of the original trilogy.
    Thats just the thing, if you knew anything about George Lucas then you would know it was his people (THE REAL PROFESSIONALS) that made this stuff up not him. You act as if he came up with the whole thing. George Lucas came up with a story and that is all he has accomplished. He tried directing and he totally bombed. I feel like throwing up each time I see episodes 1-3. You really want to know why the new ones got so much money? The reason is because people were hoping for a miracle and went to see it because they thought they might have a chance to see something of as good of quality as episode 5 and 6. If I would of known it was going to suck that bad I would of said screw it. I dont go to a movie and pay 10 bucks to see garbage.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 08-28-2005 at 01:09 AM.

• tinkerbell freak

Walt Disney felt that change is not only good, but it is vital to the life of the company. Star tours is dated. I just hope with the changes come a less jerky ride, and seats that aren't as hard as cement.

vmk addict and member of the dancing mickeys

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ess-Eff-Aitch
    As one of the few misguided souls who still believes that CG will be the death of cinema, I hope they wouldn't stoop to complete CGI rendering of the ride. There's something absolutely synthetic and unbelievable about CG renderings that makes it hard for me to believe that there's anything there. Maybe it's something about the way the light interacts with models that you don't get with the CG. Never once have I seen a movie where the CG was more convincing than an actual model / set / etc. There's just something inherently fake about it to me.

Which is why I love the current Star Tours. There's models there. They actually built and filmed those things you see flying out there in battle. Still to this day, after countless times on ST, I still kinda jerk back a bit when you almost run into the back of the X-Wing on your way to the surface of the Death Star. It's much more realistic to me. I can more easily believe that there's something out there, because it looks more convincing to me in a way that computers fail to meet. It might be years before I can't tell the difference. Maybe not. Until someone gets it right, I hope that whoever shoots the remake will have the good sense to use models and actual sets, instead of making it like a glorified video game.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand... I wouldn't mind getting a new film, as long as the original one remains in some ridable way. I love it. I just hope it doesn't become a Pod Race... they spent so much time on those in Ep 1 and I don't know how many Pod Racer video games that I'm sick of them. Anything new would be good, as long as it maintains the feel and excitement of the original. And the randomization thing sounds awesome, I'd enjoy seeing that integrated somehow.

QUESTION: The RX pilot is voiced by Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee Wee Herman, correct?

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! CG is going to be the death of all cinema picture and George Lucas likes it. The same can be said about animation with Pixar. They fired the real talent in Burbank and replaced them with idiotic CG stations. CG has replaced great acting and story in a movie. Why do you think that the movie industry is desperate for people to go see movies? The reason why way less people see movies is because they are CG pieces of garbage.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 08-28-2005 at 01:11 AM.

Yikes!! We seem to be jumping off topic alot with this one! I fail to see how whether what episode you liked or what opinion you have on movie making technology has to do with the new Star Tours ride?!?!

Anywho, I do recall Lucas wanted to incorporate Plasma or digital flat screens at the front of the cabins for the new ride - good because you get a clearer picture, bad because one little screen is just not immersive enough. I totally agree with what someone said earlier on something more like BTTF & having semi Hemispherical screens on the outside of the cabins, looking out through glass.

As nothing is in concrete, I very much doubt anything has been solidly planned at this stage so until that point, let's hope lucas .

Yikes!! We seem to be jumping off topic alot with this one! I fail to see how what episode you liked or what opinion you have on movie making technology has to do with the new Star Tours ride?!?!

Anywho, I do recall Lucas wanted to incorporate Plasma or digital flat screens at the front of the cabins for the new ride - good because you get a clearer picture, bad because one little screen is just not immersive enough. I totally agree with what someone said earlier on something more like BTTF & having semi Hemispherical screens on the outside of the cabins, looking out through glass.

As nothing is in concrete, I very much doubt anything has been solidly planned at this stage so until that point, let's hope lucas can convince Iger to open his purse strings up generously for the project.

• Minion

CG is not the death, but the next step. It adds things to a movie that simply can not be done in real life.

They wont replace cinima, but enhance it. Much like sound did way back when.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs up Re: The New STar TouRS

I wouldn't mind seeing some changes but I like the old film too. Since there are 4 Starspeeders (or is it 5?) maybe there could four different films going to different locations. My picks:

Classic Flight to Endor
    Hoth
    Tatooine
    Coruscant

George Lucas is notorious for doing things slowly (Still praying for Indy 4) so I wouldn't get my hopes up that anything will change in the near future if all creative decisions have to go through him.

Yeah I know I post this in just about every Star Tours thread but here it goes again. I personally think a great way to incorporate new technology into the ride is to redo the ride vehicles. The new ones would fit into lore by being salvaged troop carriers from the prequel trilogy (the clone dropships with the sliding side panels).

They've converted them so they can offer tours.... you have seats now where the troops used to stand and can still see out the pilot window. The pilot window will be a plasma/lcd screen. Also the side doors/panels will still be functional, and outside the panels (on the walls surrounding the vehicle) will be more plasma displays (big enough that you can't see the edges while sitting in the vehicle. Then the tours can go to all sorts of planets, and if you go to one that has an atmosphere they can open up the side doors/panels (as if getting ready to drop off troops) and they can let you see the planet from the pilot's point of view or the openings on the side of the ship. Throw in some wind/scent/temperature effects if you want and you've got an immersive ride that can actually simulate the sounds/sights/smells/feel of an alien planet.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I've enjoyed Star Tours and think it's one of the better attractions in the park. It's certainly been one of the few things of any value in the "new" Tomorrowland until recently. The ride, though, is getting old and the simulator technology isn't all that different from what you can find at a county fair or shopping mall. A huge upgrade would be welcome, but it might be time for total replacement. I've been disappointed with Disney's recent tendency to create attractions with a movie as the central focus: Star Tours, HISTA, Golden Dreams, Soarin', etc. I miss the days when, instead of just showing you pictures of an experience, they created attractions that immersed you into an actual, real-life three dimensional world: POTC, HM, SM, Indy, ...even IASW. There's a whole world out there that can be experienced without a screen or monitor. Perhaps the realities of today's economics preclude the creating of another "classic" Disneyland AA E-ticket. I don't know. Here's a couple of thoughts: The original Tomorrowland leaned heavily on an outer space theme because it was built during an era (50s-60s) popularly known as the "space age." We got some good rides out of that theme. But Walt also created his "World On The Move" both as a way to present a future consisting of more that just space travel, and also as a way to justify a lot of different "rides." He could have shown us a movie of monorails, people-movers, skyways and submarines. Instead he built real ones we could ride on. ATIS was another way to focus on a different aspect of the future, science and microbiology. Instead of presenting it on a flat screen, he created it in real life and toured us through it on omnimovers. I'd like to see something new along these lines. There's a lot more to the future than space travel. The only good thing I will ever say about Innoventions is that it tries to address this fact. (Though it does so in a cheezy, Circuit City, bad trade show kind of way.) We spend enough time sitting on our butts and watching TV screens, computer monitors and movie screens, having vicarious experiences. I've always looked to Disneyland to provide a more "real" experience.
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 08-29-2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: correction of syntax
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

There is a lot of potential for a new Star Tours ride, but there are also a lot of pitfalls in the prequels. I hold out hope that a new version of the ride will be able to incorporate the excitement of the original without succumbing to George Lucas' "I'm not making these for the fans, I'm making them for myself," mindset that drove the prequels to be so higly criticized by Star Wars fans. I also hope that they use models again for the film, but I doubt that this will happen. I was pleasantly surprised by Episode III, however, that the ships didn't look quite so fake as they did in Episodes I and II. Still not as good as models, though.
    Visited: DL Dec. 1989, Dec. 1992, Dec. 1995, WDW Jan. 1999, DL March 2001,
    WDW Jan. 2005, DL Jan. 2006, Nov. 2006, Dec. 2012, WDW Feb. 2013
    Got Engaged at the Blue Bayou January 6, 2006!

• =)

Just to get this off my chest--I mostly agree about CG. If used in moderation, it can work wonders in a film. But the extent to which it's overused today is more than a bit disappointing. Top-quality models are generally more realistic than today's CG. The problem is, a lot of moviemakers are swooning for CG's convenience and the amount of effects it can put out. They're forgetting to let the CG serve the plot and characters, rather than the other way around.

I disagree about Pixar, however. Those are very talented artists working over there, and the quality of their work is extraordinary, regardless of personal opinions. For instance, I didn't really care for A Bug's Life that much, but I have to admit that it's very high-quality animation. It's not as if the computer is doing the work for them.

I'd love to see more tours added. Even just adding one more tour would be great, as long as the original was restored (not redone, just restored) as well. Using high-fidelity plasma screens is a very good idea, but we're talking HD screens with all the bells and whistles. In my opinion, these ride-movies shouldn't feel digital or film-like. They should feel real.

It would be so great to see a few new original dark rides at Disneyland. Without movie franchises preceding them, I mean. Pirates and the Haunted Mansion use forty-year old technology. Still, they're popular with guests because these rides offer the incredible theming made possible by reality. Imagine today's top-notch animatronics and special effects used in a new dark ride with a similarly ingenious premise.

• The Uber Film Geek

If you want Lucas the artist, check out THX 1138 and American Graffiti.

If you want Lucas the escapist entertainer, watch Star Wars 1-4.

If you want Lucas the grand concept man, watch Star Wars 3-6, Indiana Jones, American Graffiti.

If you want Lucas the film technology innovator, watch all of those.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

Why do some of you think that they would offer more then one destination? If they spend the money to replace the current video, that video is going to be the one that they show. The current one will be locked upi somewhere and one new one would be on all the screens.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    CG is not the death, but the next step. It adds things to a movie that simply can not be done in real life.

They wont replace cinima, but enhance it. Much like sound did way back when.
    The only movie where I felt it was not distracting and actually ENHANCED the movie was batman begins.

If you want Lucas the grand concept man, watch Star Wars 3-6, Indiana Jones, American Graffiti.
    I will take those anyday thank you very much. I dont agree with episode 3 being in there though that movie was just as cheezy as the ealier new ones. It was so embarassing that the people laughed at how bad the movie was especially at the emperors laugh and horrible makeup job. It would of been a great movie if they would of done these few things:

1. Gave Anikan better lines to say.
    2. Made the transition to the dark side A LOT smoother.
    3. Got rid of that horrible character General Grevious.
    4. MORE DARTH VADER
    5. No screaming NOOOOOOO Darth Vader - that was also a good laugh in the audience.
    6. They had the ending scene perfect with the retro look to it and they showed it for a grand total of like 2 seconds.
    7. Less digital effects.
    8 More of a Tie Fighter feeling in the space fights.
    This goes into more detail: http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep3_1-10.php

Anyway getting back on topic I feel that CG will ruin the whole realistic feeling to it and that is why I am being so Anti Redo because that is exactly what they will do. They will butcher the whole thing with CG. Not to mention digital projectors take away even more of that realistic feeling cause real life isnt that clear.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 08-29-2005 at 11:53 PM.

• The Uber Film Geek

The only movie where I felt it was not distracting and actually ENHANCED the movie was batman begins.
    I can name MANY more.

The Lord of the Rings
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Dances with Wolves
    Stargate
    Star Trek films/tv (not all, but of particular note is First Contact)
    Gladiator
    Minority Report
    The Aviator

While some scenes in Episodes 1-3 need more polish in the effects area, other scenes are simply awesome, and most people do not even know computer effects are being used. Or they mistake model work and miniatures for CGI (the naboo fighters, the majority of the sets in 2 & 3).

Anyway, while not a perfect film, RotS was very satisfying to me. Even 1 & 2 have their charms and fun, if not stellar artistry within the writing and acting.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast