Thread: Winter visit

Winter visit

Thanks to all who read this. Our trip is planned just after Christmas and coming back Jan 2. The kids don't know. Granparents are giving the trip for the big gift!

Being a military spouse I'm always looking for ways to stretch a dime.... Can we bring in our own snacks or food to Disneyland or California Adventure Park?

Also, How busy is it during the above times. I imagine quite busy New Years Eve. But the other days?
    What can we expect with New Years in way of a celebration or party or whatever they do?

Wheelchair rental. We will certainly need one...do we need to make our reservations for that early?

Re: Winter visit

Quote Originally Posted by jungmanns View Post
    Thanks to all who read this. Our trip is planned just after Christmas and coming back Jan 2. The kids don't know. Granparents are giving the trip for the big gift!

Being a military spouse I'm always looking for ways to stretch a dime.... Can we bring in our own snacks or food to Disneyland or California Adventure Park?

Also, How busy is it during the above times. I imagine quite busy New Years Eve. But the other days?
    What can we expect with New Years in way of a celebration or party or whatever they do?

Wheelchair rental. We will certainly need one...do we need to make our reservations for that early?
    1) I doubt anyone will stop you from bringing food or drink into the park, as long as it is premade (IOW don't bring a loaf of bread, jar of mayo, etc.). However I do believe the guidemaps do say outside food and drink are not permitted, but like I said this poilcy is usually not enforced. But may I suggest two things:

A) Instead of stretching that dime at DL why not do that now, at home and then enjoy all DL has to offer? Mac and Cheese and Hotdogs several times a week now will make popcorn and churros even tastier at DL!

B) If you do bring things in other than snacks and beverages, please utilize the lockers at the picnic area and enjoy your meal there.

2) From Xmas day through the end of Xmas break for schools, is one of the busiest times of year at DL. Not sure how the current economy will impact Dec/Jan attendance, but I have heard this summer has been slower than usual, so maybe Xmas won't be as busy either.

3) NYE morning/early afternoon isn't that bad. BUT NYE from dinner time on is crazy. If you have little ones you might consider DCA for the evening on NYE.

4) There really is no NYE party so to speak. Hats and horns are handed out throughout the park, and there have been entertainment stages set ups in several locations. They do do a countdown, but that's pretty much it.

5) Wheel chairs are rented inside both parks and there are no advance reservations for the ones that you rent at DL. Don't know what hotel you are staying at but if you are staying at DLH they have a limitted amount of chairs there for the guests to use at the parks. A couple of tips for wheel chairs are get there early and rent one as soon as you enter, or make arrangements with one of the local companies to rent one off property. DL does run out of them during busier times. Also the max amount of guest allowed on attractions with a wheel chair guest is 5. So if your group is over 6 people then you will not all be allowed on the attraction together.

6) New Years Day, especially the morning of that day is traditionaly *really* slow, so take advantage of that morning!!!!!

Have fun!
    dsny1mom

• Imaginative Possibilities

good times...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Higitus Figitus

to answer the food question:
    whenever my family is stopped for having food in our bags at an entrance (at any theme park- including disneyland) we tell them that i'm diabetic-WHICH IS TRUE!- and they seem fine with it, but all we ever have is about a six pack of apple juice and some granola bars.

if you have younger children- i doubt they'll care. if the kiddos say its snack time- ITS SNACK TIME! theyll care less about outside food than screaming kids most likely haha
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Senior Minion

They've gotten very lax about outside food, which is strange because of being so AP dependednt these days. Anyway, you should be able to get snacks in, if they see a whole days worth of food, they may say something. Basically, everything else said by Dsny1mom is spot on. Unfortunately, I would expect it to be very busy, but learn about the fastpass system tips from the sticky thread, and relax, take your time, and even on busy days you can have a great time.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Bring water. At $2.90 per bottle in the park, I always bring water in with us. It can save you a lot and you will get thirsty even in the winter time trucking through all those crowds and waiting in line. Always good to have some high quality H2O available.

• I'm wishing

Bring your snacks and drinks (no glass containers). My friends and I have never been stopped and I've come with friends who have several children who bring full coolers of sandwiches, snacks and drinks. The worst that can happen (and I HIGHLY DOUBT it will) is that you'll be asked to leave the majority of your food, or you cooler, in the lockers in the picnic area just outside the turnstiles. Drinks and snacks are not a problem at all, but when eating your meal/sandwiches, my friends and I look for an out of the way area or an area with lots of extra seating, so that we aren't taking away a table from a guest who has just paid for the food at that location. Some good areas for that offer larger seating areas are... the very back of Hungry Bear, or the very back of Pizza Port - up by Space Mountain.

Don't forget that part of the fun is getting some of the delicious Disneyland snack food that is available, plan for that as well! Check out menus in advance so that you can plan which ones you want to try out and know the cost of each before you are at the park (and without energy to look at the menus at each one). www.dlresortinfo.com

Crowds are pretty big during Christmas vacation, but it does seem to be a bit slower this year. Just read about fastpasses, and start your day early (getting as many early in the day as possible) then just enjoy the rest of your day and use your fastpasses when you are getting a little tired.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Micechater do get togeter on New year Eve. Most do it over in DCA.

sometime over DL.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9