when to make ap purchase for discounts

I'm going in November with my wife. We did the math, and going to get an AP to get the additional discounts. This will probably be the only trip in the next year... but you never know what might happen of course.
    When should we purchase the AP, and would we need to do that before booking the hotel room? We also want to take some tours... do we need the AP before we book them?

• "I Break Things"

Re: when to make ap purchase for discounts

Quote Originally Posted by jkh1978 View Post
    I'm going in November with my wife. We did the math, and going to get an AP to get the additional discounts. This will probably be the only trip in the next year... but you never know what might happen of course.
    When should we purchase the AP, and would we need to do that before booking the hotel room? We also want to take some tours... do we need the AP before we book them?
    Not sure on tours, someone else can answer that. I know that at certain times there are discounts but I am not sure of the specifics. Also you have shopping and dining discounts as well depending on the level of the AP.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

But do I buy the AP online and then make reservations, or just tell them that I'll have an AP before I check out/take a tour? If I buy it online, does the year start immediately?

• is enjoying a ukulele.

Depending on the AP you get, there are discounts on tours. You can also get shopping and dining discounts, but usually the in-park carts don't honor it. It's the restaurants and the cafeteria-style eateries that honor it. I think the general idea when you buy your AP is to actually buy a vacation package from Disney online, then trade in the park hopper you buy from them. They will apply the value of the park hopper towards your AP. At least, that's what I did.

But wouldn't that also help with savings at the hotel?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

This is from a post I made a while ago, in the WDW forums:

-The DL Premium AP is $389, which has parking included, no blockout days, 15% off food, 10% off merchandise, 20% off guided tours, plus assorted Downtown Disney discounts and discounts at the DLR hotels.

-The Deluxe pass is $269, does not having parking included (which can be added for the year for $59), 50 blockout days (mostly holidays), 10% off food, 20% off guided tours, assorted Downtown Disney discounts and discounts at the DLR hotels.

-The Southern California AP is $174, does not have parking included (although it can be added for $59), 150 blockout days (mostly Saturdays and holidays, in addition to being blocked out for summer), 10% off food, assorted Downtown Disney discounts and discounts at the DLR hotels.

-The Southern California Select AP is $134, does not include parking (which can be added for $59), 195 blockout days (no weekends, summer, holidays, or any day ending with "y" ), 10% off food, assorted Downtown Disney discounts and discounts at the DLR hotels.

All passes can also have a stroller rental pass added to them, for $59. This allows for one (1) "free" stroller rental per eligible AP, per visit.
    And, they also have various big discounts on the hotel rooms, throughout the year, as well. There is one currently offered that has rooms starting at $139 a night.

• We Want The Redhead

I just booked the Walt's Footsteps tour for my 10th wedding anniversary and had to recite my AP number while booking to get the discount.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!