Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Shubisha

Chanukah in Disneyland

So 50 years into Disneyland and those three words still don't seem to want to go together. It would be a very nice change if Disneyland included Chanukah even a little bit in its extravagant holiday decor that fills the park every winter. It would not take much effort on Disney's part nor be a distraction, nuisance, or overbearing presence to guests not celebrating this holiday. From what I've read, they do several things over at Disneyworld even, but it seems to be pretty left out over here.

The fact is that there is pretty much nothing there. It's pretty disappointing. For those of you who aren't aware, everything in the park is Christmas. All we got for Chanukah was a quick 10 seconds during the holiday fireworks of the dreidal song(yippee :P). This year we don't even get that, as they won't be showing the holiday fireworks in favor of Remember.

I've read about this mezuzah they placed on a door in a far corner of Main Street, and apparently this was supposed to create a place for them to put up some decorations, but even that has yet to happen(for those of you unfamiliar, a mezuzah has nothing to do with Chanukah, it's something that's up all throughout the year). And even if they suddenly lavished this spot with decorations, there isn't really any reason why they couldn't put some up around the park if holiday decorations are supposed to adorn the entire place.

~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~` _'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=~`_'~=

All I'm asking is that if you happen to be in the park and get a chance, maybe hopping to City Hall and requesting they put some things up this year in celebration of Chanukah. I'm wondering/hoping that even if a couple people go in and mention it someone will look into it and maybe at least something can go up.

And I would like to stress that in no way would I want this to be any competition that's trying to take away from the Christmas presence or spirit in the park during this time of year.

• Rat Patootie

Re: Chanukah in Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    So 50 years into Disneyland and those three words still don't seem to want to go together. It would be a very nice change if Disneyland included Chanukah even a little bit in its extravagant holiday decor that fills the park every winter. It would not take much effort on Disney's part nor be a distraction, nuisance, or overbearing presence to guests not celebrating this holiday. From what I've read, they do several things over at Disneyworld even, but it seems to be pretty left out over here.

The fact is that there is pretty much nothing there. It's pretty disappointing. For those of you who aren't aware, everything in the park is Christmas. All we got for Chanukah was a quick 10 seconds during the holiday fireworks of the dreidal song(yippee :P). This year we don't even get that, as they won't be showing the holiday fireworks in favor of Remember.

I've read about this mezuzah they placed on a door in a far corner of Main Street, and apparently this was supposed to create a place for them to put up some decorations, but even that has yet to happen(for those of you unfamiliar, a mezuzah has nothing to do with Chanukah, it's something that's up all throughout the year). And even if they suddenly lavished this spot with decorations, there isn't really any reason why they couldn't put some up around the park if holiday decorations are supposed to adorn the entire place.

All I'm asking is that if you happen to be in the park and get a chance, maybe hopping to City Hall and requesting they put some things up this year in celebration of Chanukah. I'm wondering/hoping that even if a couple people go in and mention it someone will look into it and maybe at least something can go up.

And I would like to stress that in no way would I want this to be any competition that's trying to take away from the Christmas presence or spirit in the park during this time of year.

TOTALLY AGREED!!!
    șoș.....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
    ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
    (..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
    .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
    .../\....*...| | \/|,-,|\/ | |
    MySpace.com/JivinJonno

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I've read about this mezuzah they placed on a door in a far corner of Main Street
    The mezuzah is put up on the door of the doctor, who is Jewish. I found it interesting when they explained it on the Holiday Tour. They showed differences in the different lands of how different people celebrate the holidays.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Freak

Is Chaunukah a decorating holiday? I mean to the extent that Christmas is with trees, lights, garlands and such that go up in/on people's homes.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Pirate Girl

Ahoy,

I don't know if this helps. But last year they had a bunch of Hannukah merchandise for sale(knowing Disney will always take the chance to make $). It was all royal blue and light blue. One was a Mickey head shaped wire wrapped with blue ribbons with some sort of Hannukah dangle inside that one would hang on their front door. If I remember correctly there were several merch. displays in Main Street shops; one nearest the photo shop on the east side.

And I thought I remember something by that Jewish door with the mezuzah decorated a little bit last year. But I could be dreaming :-)

Aprille :-)

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Is Chaunukah a decorating holiday? I mean to the extent that Christmas is with trees, lights, garlands and such that go up in/on people's homes.
    no it's not an over commercialzed you need to spend money on crap and over the top compete with the jones decoration holiday. Thats what i like about it, but blue and silver are chaunukah colors and they could do more to include all ways over celebrating winter holidays. yes, dl is pretty during the holiday's, but there is more than just christmas.

• Banned User

I'd love for them to do more for this holiday. Even the merch was lacking... a whole store full of Christmas and then there's this one little table for Hanukkah. Kinda sad don'tcha think?

• Shubisha

Just to clarify, the mezuzah has nothing to do with Chanukah. It's something entirely different that you keep it up on your door all year long.

Please don't take too much from this analogy, but imagine if instead of the decorations, parades, music, etc... all they did was put a cross up in a far corner of main street that most people never noticed and called that the Christmas decorations, and meanwhile had some other holiday filling the streets like they do now.

As for merchandise, from what I've read(I haven't even been able to notice the merchandise myself if that says anything about it), they sell very nondescript stuff that doesn't even seem like it's from disney usually. Over at disneyworld this is not the case and they have a very large selection.

Personally I'd very much prefer decorations over merchandise.

• Banned User

Personally I wish they wouldn't make Christmas such a huge deal. I can understand why they do it and it's nice but it's not the true meaning of the holiday.

• My Children's Father

It's all about the Benjamins. Disney obviously believes (and for good reason) that all the Christmasizing brings in additional guests, and that the increased income more than offsets the costs of decorating, a special parade, etc.

Given that the local population, and the population of the U.S. as a whole, has a very low percentage of Chanukah celebrants, Disney is probably assuming that a significant expenditure on Chanukah decorations/merchandise/themeing would not realize as much profit.

Quote Originally Posted by almondot
    Over at disneyworld this is not the case and they have a very large selection.
    Could this be because of a higher (than California) percentage of Jews in Florida, not to mention New Yorkers going to WDW on holiday?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Shubisha

Yeah I'm sort of running into a lot of people saying that on VisionsFantastic, and my take is that well, they do make it a big deal. And they do it on a very very very large scale. And so if you're in the park and don't celebrate christmas, you're flooded with merry christmas. At least having something in recognition of other holidays isn't too much to ask.

And even if, in an imaginary world, they were to suddenly remove all the commercialized christmas decorations, I'd still want them to put a little something up for chanukah. Because I'm not meaning this to be a competition between the two "well they get this, we should get this. okay you got rid of that, you can ignore us again." I enjoy the time of year as a celebratory time and hope for that not to change.

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    no it's not an over commercialzed you need to spend money on crap and over the top compete with the jones decoration holiday.
    But you wish it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    Personally I wish they wouldn't make Christmas such a huge deal. I can understand why they do it and it's nice but it's not the true meaning of the holiday.
    That's my point... "Christmas decorations" are far from celebrating the real meaning of Christmas. There weren't light up trees or a jolly fat man in red at the birth of Christ. Like Halloween, St. Patty, Valentines or even "fall" and "spring" decorations, Christmas decorations are simply decorations in celebration of the holiday, not the religious stuff behind it. There are no nativity scenes, no crosses... I dunno, Christmas trees and such to me are so generic and don't really mean CHRISTianity/CHRISTmas to me... all the decorations and stuff in malls etc it just doesn't mean RELIGION to me. Even the prhase "Merry Christmas" is not used in a religious context... it's just a seasonal greeting, IMO.

Also, I think there should be a Kwanza merchandise table equally large next to the Chanukah table.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Shubisha

I sense a sarcasm I seem to get a lot with your Kwanzaa statement. Whether it is or isn't, it's a non-issue to me. I'd love them to include some decorations for Kwanzaa.

Whether it fits your belief on how Christmas should be celebrated, Disneyland's holiday period is entirely Christmas oriented. If you want it to be represented differently, that is an issue for you to take up. But it doesn't change the fact that it's still presented as Christmas. "Merry Christmas" might have lost its religious context to you, but it's still there. It doesn't need to become the strict "happy holidays" or "Seasons greeting" blandness. "Merry Christmas" is fine, but is throwing a "Happy Chanukah" in once in a while really all that much to ask?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    But you wish it would be?

did i saw that?....one shouldn't try to read between the lines....or try to imply more was said then what was said.

christmas is over the top everywhere. It's sad how it lost it's meaning from it's paegan origins...the only thing left of it is the christmas tree and that they have it in the winter.....as for the real reason for the season...that happened in the spring.......putting all that aside...it would be nice to see all holiday traditions given a place in the park...and not just in some obscure cornor. However, i don't see that happening anytime soon.....for many reasons.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    it would be nice to see all holiday traditions given a place in the park...and not just in some obscure cornor. However, i don't see that happening anytime soon.....for many reasons.
    Unfortunately true, as I'm finding out from hitting 90% opposition and 10% support on the boards I posted to even bringing it up from those who've responded so far.

But if you agree I encourage you to join in suggesting it to dland =)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast