Question Parade Audition Question

First of all, if this should be posted somewhere else, I am sorry

I have wanted to audition for a parade at Disney for a long time and I am now starting to think seriously about it. I am thinking of going to the Sept. auditions just to get the feel of how it works, however, I don't want to be TOTALLY out of place.

SO, here's my question.

Whats the general skill level of those who audition?

I have had dancing experience in the past but I have only recently started becoming flexible again, etc. Any information would help! Thanks.

Oh and I have read previous audition threads but never really saw this question answered. Thanks again!

• Triple Goddess

Re: Parade Audition Question

I worked in the parades. The auditions were daunting, but sooo worth it. The skill level goes from people who can walk and chew gum at the same time, to some seriously professional dancers. I was somewhere in the middle. A lot of it depends on the height ranges for what they are casting. There are usually many different types of spots open. They will sort you into groups based on dance skill, and then sort you into heights when they begin to cast spots. Prepare to be there all day. I always thought the auditions were fun.

Haha okay good to know.

I'm a girl and 5'4" (on a good day haha)

Do you know how often they are looking for this height range?

• Triple Goddess

I am pretty sure that it is a pretty universal height. I know most of the characters are in there, except Mickey, Donald, Minnie. Those are usually shorter. But I think like chip, dale, ext. are around that height. I am not 100 percent sure; it's been years since I was there and the costumes have probably changed, but I think at 5'4" you'd be right in there. Good luck. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes.

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

The last audition the split us into two groups. I'm not sure how they decided who went in the first two groups, but the last group was made up of all really great dancers. The first group was let go, while the second and third stayed for the second through fourth rounds.

They go over the dances really quick, and then give you about half an hour to practice. I got there at 08:00, and left at 18:45. Most of that time was spent waiting. Out of the three hundred or so people who went, about fifteen were picked from both the first and second groups.

At one time they did ask all people who were 5'3" in for another audition while the rest of us waited. It never hurts to audition, and you truly get to meet some wonderful people! I've made quite a few really good friends at them.

• Really?

Just wondering is weight an issue at all at these auditons? Or are they looking for all shapes and sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by mspoppygrl View Post
    Just wondering is weight an issue at all at these auditons? Or are they looking for all shapes and sizes?
    Sad to say, but the group of people who went in were all well built people. This isn't to say that they don't hire all shapes and sizes, you just need to be able to fit the costumes (from what I could see). So, when they're only looking for twenty or so people to be fillers, they tend to be very picky.

Here's a link to all the upcoming parade auditions: http://corporate.disney.go.com/audit...dar/index.html (be sure to change the "auditions for" to "Disneyland Resort (CA)")

Parade Performers - Females
    For: Disneyland Resort
    Audition Location: Disneyland Resort - Anaheim, CA
    Looking For: Parade Performers

September 06, 2008 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada)

Seeking Dancers and Character Performers for A Christmas Fantasy parade, a Disney classic which winds down the streets of Disneyland® Park.
    Requirements:

• Must be at least 18 years of age
    • Must be available for rehearsals on selected weekday evenings and weekends from Oct. 1 – Nov. 20
    • Must be available for performances on weekdays and weekends from Nov. 21, 2008 – Jan. 4, 2009
    • Wear non-restrictive clothing; tennis or dance shoes are required
    • Current Disneyland® Resort Cast Members should bring a completed and approved transfer application
    • New applicants are encouraged to complete a job application prior to the audition date by visiting the Casting Center at Team Disney Anaheim
    • This audition may last 6-8 hours

700 W. Ball Rd.
    Anaheim, CA 92802

• Shubisha

All depends what they're looking for. In the case of the audition she's going to, they're casting A Christmas Fantasy parade. So looking at what's in that parade will give you the idea of what they're casting for.

Chances are the first thing you'll be doing when you walk into the audition room is learning a simpler dance that's 8 counts of 8 and then performing it diagonally across the floor 2 people at a time. If you make it past that you'll be taught a more advanced dance.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by kristinrenee310 View Post
    Haha okay good to know.

I'm a girl and 5'4" (on a good day haha)

Do you know how often they are looking for this height range?
    It's something like the 5'3" - 5'6" range that they can't really use in any normal fuzzy characters (7 Dwarfs, Pinocchio, etc.). If Disney measures you as 5'4", then you would probably be cut right away if it were for a Character only audition.

But the parades hire for Face Characters and Dancers (think Elves, Reindeer, Plates, Forks, Spoons, White Pearls, Tiger, Gazelle, Buzz Girls, Umbrella Bugs, etc.).

A few tips:
    Smile, look like you're having fun.
    It's alright to mess up in certain parts of the routine, but shine in the rest of it... It's about showing potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    A few tips:
    Smile, look like you're having fun.
    It's alright to mess up in certain parts of the routine, but shine in the rest of it... It's about showing potential.
    Don't look like you're having fun, HAVE FUN! Make the most out of it, remember, they are looking for people who will be fun to work with. People who have a true passion for Disney and are able to bring that passion to life on stage.

When you see the Disneyland Resort Casting Team, you'll see what Disney is all about, making magic, and having fun while doing it!