• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

International View of Disneyland & Other Parks

As I was posting today about a great international site with lots of articles and concept art about all the worldwide Disney parks, I started wondering what the perceptions were overseas from folks whether they had visited or not. So, I guess this is a "call around the world" to give input about perceptions and views on the various Disney "worlds". Thought I'd post on the DL boards, as it is the one that started it all. Any international members care to respond?

Mark
    www.insightsandsounds.blogspot.com
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Re: International View of Disneyland & Other Parks

Well, I now have more time and can respond to my own question. Our friends from Wales have been to DLP (post WDSP, pre ToT), WDW (pre DAK), and DL (post DCA). Their thoughts are in this vein: DL is small and not very pretty. Rides are the same as in Florida. DCA looks like a fairground midway. (Florida was their first Disney park.) DLP is very pretty, not impressed with the Studios. WDW is the best of the bunch, alot of variety, a grand scale, and lots of recreational options.
    Mark

I live in the UK and have been fortunate enough to visit all 5 resorts (11 parks) around the world.
    Disneyland had the impression of being small (when i visited in 2001 i had only been to Paris and WDW). the rides seemed often dated and was in the middle of a built up area which was very different to the Disney parks i was used to. The castle also seemed very small, in my opinion it looked silly, having said this the more i look at it over the years the more i get used to it. i'm just used to the icon of disney dominating the skyline of the park or for paris it can also be seen from outside.
    DCA was to us beautiful. we visited in August 01 so it had not long been open. this was our first visit to California and our first stop on our trip. we actually really liked the park, it seemed that the theming around the paradise pier was a little lacking espicalliay the wild mouse stlye coaster, but the Grand Californian hotel (where we stayed) and other parts of the park were great.

Disneyland Paris was the first Disney park we visited as a family back in 92, we have since visted about 13 times over the years and love it. the park and in particular the castle is very ornate and stunning. the lands are so detailed they put even wdw to shame.

Walt Disney Studios in paris is quite francly shocking, we visited in 2004 for the first time and in just 5 hours had done everything at least once (and it was peak season) there were only about 5 "rides" with the rest shows. themeing with the exception of studio 1 was bland. i know its supposed to be an industrial stlye film studio, but what Disney often does is to vary the themeing style at various locations within the park e.g DHS where there is New York st, Sunset BLV, Echo Lake etc. in paris it was all the same. they have put a lot of work into themeing since the opening of toon studios (which looks good) and the tower of terror. i have not visited since the tower opened but am going in a couple of weeks.

Tokyo disneyland is appears (with the exception of Main St) a copy of the Magic Kingdom from 1971. i know its not but you can tell a number of attractions were at the park when it opened in 1983. main st has a roof and is called World bazzar, to be honest i had low expectations of the park before i went and whilst it was better than i expected it is not the best park.

Tokyo Disneysea is however the best themed disney park anywhere in the world, there is no part of the park which is not themed and done to the most exacting standards, i cannot express how impressed i was with this resort.

HongKong Disneyland, is small, there is no denying this, and whilst its lack of attractions is a shame what they do have is done very well, the small Disneyland stlye castle looks better here where it is not over-shadowed by the matterhorn and instead framed by the mountains in the background.

finally WDW. I love this place its not the Best magic Kingdom in the world some of the rides (ride technology) is a generation older than other parks but the design and layout is really well done. the shear size of the resort as a whole is daunting at times but allows for a total immersive experiance which cannot be found elsewhere.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Thank you for your insights. I enjoyed reading your view of the comparisons.
    Mark