Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

What is Disneyland missing? - Fear of Walt' Wrath

Ive have been thinking about all the issues I and others seem to have about DL, oh things like empty peoplemover tracks for years, the invasion of plush toys taking over all previously themed stores, the monorail debacle, the cheesiness of the painted 2d plywood rides, the encroaching animated themed attractions, the rundown condition of some things, the uncleaned ground surfaces etc etc etc..

And I think that what has been missing at DL is FEAR, fear of disapointing Walt, who everyone looked up to and respected and who as we know was a perfectionist and didnt tolerate anything less than better than top quality.

If Walt could be magically transported to 2008, (and he still had power and authority cuz im sure the Disney lawyers would immediately jump on seeing to it that he didnt through some legal mumbo jumbo), I would think all the decision makers at DL would be running for their lives!

What do you think?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: What is Disneyland missing? - Fear of Walt' Wrath

Hey, it's another "what do you think Walt would think" thread. OH BOY!!!

Wasn't it the fear of going against what Walt would do that caused the decline in the 70's and early 80's? And the out come of that fear and decline was the battle that put Eisner in charge? Do we really need that kind of fear again?

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

I think the park would be much cleaner and neater. There probably wouldn't be situations like we have with the people mover. Operations would be much tighter and employee moral would be be higher with less turn over rate.

But who knows, maybe some of the rides would be the same. Walt loved his cartoons.

• CM supporter

Quote Originally Posted by HUH? View Post
    Wasn't it the fear of going against what Walt would do that caused the decline in the 70's and early 80's? And the out come of that fear and decline was the battle that put Eisner in charge? Do we really need that kind of fear again?
    Yeah, but he's saying if Walt was actually there. Not just the fear. So there wouldn't be a battles that puts Eisner's in charge, because when they think "what would Walt do?", they would just go and ask him and do what he says for the most part.

sorry but Walt Disney is dead.. they have more important things to worry about like keeping stockholders happy and their families fed.

seriously man why dont you go dig up walt's grave and ask him? you are a little obsessed with the man. he wasn't always right....

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by HUH? View Post
    What is this "decline" you speak of?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    sorry but Walt Disney is dead.. they have more important things to worry about like keeping stockholders happy and their families fed.

seriously man why dont you go dig up walt's grave and ask him? you are a little obsessed with the man. he wasn't always right....

Well said.

At this point Disneyland has been around for more years without Walt than it was with Walt. I think it's time to let Walt's ghost live in peace without worrying about what he would have wanted. He certainly doesn't care right now.

A more pressing question: WWED!!! (What Would Eisner Do!!!)

• CM supporter

I'm pretty sure this is posed as a hypothetical question. I don't understand why people think they have to be rotten bastards about things. If you don't like the thread, then get out. You don't have to come in and be a jerk to the OP just because he wants to have some discussion.

• =)

I think three things:

1. Walt would be disappointed with numerous things, as well as pleased with a great many things. Assuming he had complete control again/still, a lot of people would be changing positions or leaving the company, with new talent being brought in. Integrity of theme and quality would become more or less unwavering constants at WED--yes, WED, not WDI--again.

2. A little positivity to round out all the negativity never hurt anyone, GM.

3. Before you started another thread, shouldn't you have at least caught up with this other one you started? It's a discussion board, after all.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    If Walt could be magically transported to 2008, (and he still had power and authority cuz im sure the Disney lawyers would immediately jump on seeing to it that he didnt through some legal mumbo jumbo), I would think all the decision makers at DL would be running for their lives!

What do you think?
    The "power and authority" would not be his to have (legal mumbo-jumbo or not) if he were magically transported to 2008. Sorry. His descendants cashed out most of their shares years ago, and when they weren't doing that they were not disapproving the offerings of DIS shares to the public, diluting their "power and authority" in exchange for more cash to themselves. Mind you, their decisions were rational ones, as they were not in a position to operate DIS as Walt could. Better to leave it to experts who will make them money.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Since you mention the shareholders...I would like to point out that the current obsession with pleasing shareholders every quarter (by beating earnings estimates) is one of the things weighing down today's public companies, including Disney. Whatever happened to building for the long term? If I was a shareholder, the last thing I would want is blinkered, short sighted executives running the company. Give me a visionary any day...someone like the gentleman mentioned in the title of this thread.

No, Walt isn't coming back. But can we find someone who believes in the same principles as the founder of the company?

^ Yes. They had Matt Outimet or however his name was spelled.... He left probably because he found a higher paying job/better benefits/who knows with less of a headache. As I said in another thread it's a lot easier to be a visionary and take risks when it's your creation and your money. These days these people have higher ups to answer too. Plus those higher ups also have to look over other business ventures besides the theme parks. And those higher ups do have stock holders to answer to that may not share the same views as us die-hard DL fans.

I'm not being a rotten ******* about anything.. this fool keeps crying about Disneyland and how this isn't what Walt wanted.

Walt died over 30 years ago. His opinion and quotes from the 50s/60s/70s aren't exactly relevant in todays world. For all we know he would have changed his mind? So I'm sick of people acting like they know what Walt would want. Especially people who didn't even know him.

I know this is a place to discuss and by all means go ahead, but I'm pretty damn sure despite all his quotes about past and present and future bs the underlying theme was for the guests to be happy... Last time I went to Disneyland most people seemed pretty damn happy. You guys are either in the minority or don't really hate DL as much as you act like you do.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post

No, Walt isn't coming back. But can we find someone who believes in the same principles as the founder of the company?
    *cough*Ouimet*cough*

• Closed Account

Last time I went to Disneyland most people seemed pretty damn happy. You guys are either in the minority or don't really hate DL as much as you act like you do.
    I see happy people at Knott's, Universal, Magic Mountain...

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast